what kind of jobs are available for a BIO major???>>>

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rex-craft7, Nov 9, 2008.

1. rex-craft7 macrumors newbie

actually, my questions more specific then that - im currently exploring around what science majors are available

i dont really have a set i-want-THIS-exact-career/job kind of mentality right now. i just feel like trying to go towards something i find interesting, and fits the kind of person i am, but in a very broad and general fashion.

i really hate the corporate life - love nature, love playing around in the mud, looking at weird creatures; basically, i was wondering if the bio field had many opportunities for the following kind of work/jobs (just random examples i made up) : working outside in for example, a national park. research while in the outdoors, going on the water, other countries to figure out what places need more environmental help, lots of fieldwork, very hands-on and nature oriented conservation work, etc. (lack of routine would also make me very happy)

and if there are such jobs, how many said jobs are available to biology related graduates (microbiology, marine biology, zoology, etc.). it would not make sense to study biology if only say, 1% of the field had the kind of work im describing above, and that its impossibly competitive to get those jobs (if there are any). (just in case, maybe i should also note that monetary accomplishments are not very high on my list of things i want to do. as long as i can eat, go on occasional vacations, have a simple roof over my head, i think ill be satisfied.) any input would be appreciated - thanks in advance

2. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I majored in biology, biochemistry, and philosophy. I was motivated by similar reasoning as yours, but over time discovered that I really wanted to be a doctor, so I am now in medical school. This is where a very significant portion of biology majors end up, in many cases...

...but that is not the only road.

I also have my Master of Public Health degree, and there are literally MILLIONS of potential jobs in environmental health, emerging infectious diseases, occupational epidemiology, etc. If you want to be outside, in the field, this is a good place to be, plus the market for public health jobs is always expanding, and the schooling isn't even 20% as rigorous (or competitive) as medical school is.

Getting your Master's or PhD is probably a good idea if you want the most flexibility, credentials, or connections to the kind of jobs in choice fields. Most people make their connections during their PhD program, and then fall into a niche that carries them through their career. The only single reason I am not a biologist PhD right now is because I ultimately wanted to be a surgeon, and not a scientist (although I will do a fair amount of research in my own way over time).

Also consider working for environmental consulting firms, for the State Department, for the Fish and Wildlife department, and with any of various agricultural research centers around the world. Getting into global ecology and the study of global warming is going to be huge the closer we as a species get to realizing it is not a farce but a major force in our evolution. Dealing with the problems of global warming will occupy many biologists throughout their careers.

If you like being outside, you can also consider getting into marine biology, as there are many fascinating discoveries being made in the deepest parts of the ocean.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you. Biology is a fascinating field, to be sure. Just don't discount chemistry and physics during your training, it can really impede your complete understanding of many biology topics.

Best of luck!