What kind of music do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cinnabun814, Jun 6, 2019.

1. cinnabun814 macrumors member

cinnabun814

Me personally I listen to Rock and a little bit of Country.

2. AngerDanger, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I'm more of a John Cage fan myself. Love to put on one of my favorites, crank the volume as loud as it'll go, and my neighbors never seem to care.

3. LizKat, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well if I paid attention to what my iTunes libraries say about my collections, then I'd probably have to list out a hundred sub-genres...

But based on most-played stats or a good guess at how they are for me, probably like this:

classical,
    jazz, blues/rock,
    Mexican and Latin-American pop/rock, French pop/rock,
    electronic,
    alt-country, semi-country, real country, fake country, political country...
    and the inevitable all-or-no-genre "singer songwriter"...

Jeffrey Foucault at the moment,,,,, "Pearl Handled Pistol"
    and whatever other MacRumors members randomly post to the "What are you Listening to Part III" thread that ends up striking my fancy.​
    :D You have no neighbors,,,,

or you're playin' that really special John Cage piece, 4'33"...

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Mainly Classical and opera. occasional oldies rock, piano pieces and soft jazz. The new music--hip hop, rap, metal, punk rock and so on--gives me a headache. The only exception are some video game music. I can listen to that stuff in small doses and at times it enhances my efficiency. If I listen to an upbeat tune while entering number, I type to the rhythm. If I speed it up slightly, I type slightly faster with the same accuracy.:cool:

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I definitely get that and sometimes listen to electronic music when working. But I have to not listen to certain kinds of music then: I can get distracted and start trying to analyze how a fugue plays out or variations spin off a theme, etc. Meanwhile my brain always tries to be helpful, so takes its best and sometimes completely idiotic shot at what else besides analyzing music is supposed to be going on.

One afternoon I turned most of a 72-inch length of fabric into 2.5-inch strips, when meaning to cut only 4 strips (10 inches). It was the first time I was listening to Glenn Gould play Bach's Goldberg variations. That fabric cost me 12.95 a yard and I had other plans for sixty inches of it. Ugh! I still think about that when I hear that recording!

6. makinao macrumors regular

I like the 14-second prelude to the Beatles' "Her Majesty". Play it at 11.

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

8. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Prog Rock
    Jazz / Fusion
    Classical
    New Age
    Soundtracks / Scores
    Electronic

9. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I would have a fairly similar profile re musical preferences to @LizKat.

Personally, I love classical music, and within that, my taste runs from medieval madrigals, through Renaissance and Baroque, (which I love), via classical classical and Romantic music - including ballet and opera - right up to 20th century 'classical' music.

Mind you, I also like old rock, progressive rock, some pop, jazz, blues, very much like French pop/rock (and electronic), folk, traditional (there is some brilliant Irish traditional music, and I love modern Irish traditional music), some country, Mexican, Latin American, South American, (Andes music), eastern European (klezmer and Balkan music), Turkish and Greek music, and French chanson style music.

Cuban style music, I adore.

And I agree with @Mousse: Hip hop, rap, metal are beyond awful.

10. LizKat, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well I have one or two rap tracks I have become fond of. Lupe Fiasco... his Go Go Gadget Flow is impressive. He manages to speak the (English) lyrics so fast that I am reminded of the rapid-fire Spanish of Mexican radio hosts reading ads between top-40 songs in the 1960s. Excellent diction but my brain just can't keep up the first time I hear the material.

Cuban music, sí. :) Buena Vista Club = incomparable but the style lives on.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

My music usually defies labels, but if I have to use categories:

New Age.
    Celtic/Gaelic
    Soundtracks - specifically those for movies in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre
    Ambient

If you were to look at my Pandora stations you would find: Steve Roach, Erik Wollo, Stars of the Lid, Enya, Loreena McKennit, Dead Can Dance, Capercaillie, Lisa Gerrard, Clannad, Altan and others in those categories I named.

Most of them defy titles. The majority of the time though I am listening to an ambient internet radio station (specifically, DroneZone on SOMA FM). Ambient music tends to be lengthy and I prefer that.

12. Northern Man, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

Northern Man macrumors member

Northern Man

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I have over 8000 tracks on iTunes. ⅞ of that is classical music. The other ⅛ is a mix of electronica, indie rock/pop, alternative rock, dance pop, and a smaller amount of hip hop, jazz, showtunes, and miscellanea.

But while ⅞ of my music is classical, I probably only listen to classical about 50% of the time.

Classical was my first love, though. It was all I listened to until I discovered pop music in elementary school.

14. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Cuban music, most definitely, I love it - and the Buena Vista Social Club are outstanding; sunshine of the soul expressed in sound.

15. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

:) that is a very nice thread and also the previous thread part II - both are great for randomly digging around for something new / interesting or even reminders for stuff I have but have forgotten - the comments are great for a new or broader perspective.

16. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agree with both @LizKat and @mikzn that the "What Are You Listening To?" is a terrific thread; the atmosphere is pleasant, welcoming and congenial, and quite apart from sharing what you yourself are listening to, it is brilliant for discovering new artists and music and recommendations, or rediscovering old favourites.

17. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Select Death/Extreme metal
    Instrumental soundtracks
    Heavy Metal
    Prog Rock
    Instrumental jazz and the improv vocals style
    Electronic
    Industrial
    Hardcore Punk
    70s Rock
    Traditional Chinese music
    Funk
    80s Rap/Hip Hop
    Some classical

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Last handful of years years I've gotten heavily involved into "modern?" swing. Absolutely love it when I'm working on a computer all day. Swing Republic, Dirty Honkers, Kormac, Alice Francis, Swingrowers, Electronic Swing Orchestra, Jem Stone, Tape Five, Lazlo, some of Zoowax, Dimie Cat, etc...

They basically take old swing songs and add drums. Some of the singers are really great - like Alice Francis and Dimie Cat. I haven't listed them all.

For easier listening: Joe Bonamassa

When I need de-stressing: Smooth Jazz (no words).

I'm a huge fan of 80s music. Anyone in California in the 2000s remembers Jack FM? Loved a lot of those songs - kinda grew up on that. But don't listen to it much anymore.

Very rarely, I'll listen to classical music. I am listening to classical more and more the older I get. Helps me think.

I like country but never listen to it. :p

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Country, both new and old, but nothing really pop-like. I like that Southern Rock has gained a big influence.
    Prog Rock
    Some Glam
    New Wave
    Some Punk

These days, though it is mostly country, as my favourite songs have a much more Blues/Rock oriented sound. Eric Church, Brantley Gilbert, Kacey Musgraves, Tim McGraw, etc. all get me going.
    Used to love Rock, but much of it just hasn't aged well (still like the stuff that has), and whatever is new is just insipid and lacking in energy and talent.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

21. HEALER FLAME macrumors 6502

HEALER FLAME

Funk is my go, if you like bass this is one of the best songs..

And ....

Love pop too specially Duran Duran

22. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I love some seriously good Funk. One of my first concerts ever, back in the 70's, was Parliament and Kool and The Gang. A really awesome concert!

23. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Just about everything from singers & standards to metal, new age, orchestral soundtracks, punk, new wave, soft rock, hard rock - if it moves me in some way, I’ll listen to it.
    From Bing Crosby to Black Sabbath.
    I have a giant playlist I use when we are traveling by car, you never know what will play when you shuffle it.

24. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Having a good playlist is a good idea especially when traveling.

25. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I like funk quite a lot too; Kool and the Gang are excellent, and must admit that I am partial to Duran Duran as well.

Agreed; absolutely essential.

Actually, my iPod - and more recently my A&K mp3 player - are irreplaceable, constant and permanent travelling companions of mine.