What kind of *NON-APPLE* keyboard should I get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacDude21, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MacDude21 macrumors regular

I want a keyboard for a gaming Hackintosh I'm planning on building. It needs to have a wrist rest and it needs to be wired. The wire needs be at least 1.5 feet long. I haven't decided weather I want a mechanical or normal keyboard. And what's the difference of a mechanicial keyboard verses a normal one? Is there a place I could sample one?

2. dictinaker, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

dictinaker macrumors newbie

You'd better go to store by yourself and ask the boss of the computer store these questions. Since you know, you even do not get which kind of keyboard you should get...
    See them materially will make you get the answer quickly.:)

3. kelon111 macrumors 6502

4. pscl macrumors 6502

Logitech K850... illuminated... totally gorgeous and matches the mac-style completely.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The keyswitches (i.e. typing feel). You'll have to determine where your preference lies on that matter. Keep in mind that mechanical keyswitches aren't all identical. Not only will you have to determine your preference for mechanical or not but you'll have to determine which specific mechanical keyswitches you prefer. Several online vendors offer a variety pack of keyswitches that can help with that.

Might help to tell us where you're located. Check with your local retailers.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unicomp Model M.

And get one of those gel wrist pads. They're quite cheap.

7. randian macrumors 6502a

A Tactile Pro is a real nice keyboard. Pricy though.

8. malandra macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide between das keyboard, Matias, and unicomp. But with not a single retailer in my area for any of them, I'm stuck buying blind:/

9. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This is what I would recommend as well. I love the feel of ALPS switches.

10. MacDude21 thread starter macrumors regular

My budget is $60-80, and I will spend $100 if I love every single aspect about the keyboard(it's durable, good for gaming, feels nice, has letters printed onto the keys, is WIRED(as in, plugs in with a USB))

11. malandra macrumors regular

I made my final decision by watching a bunch of you tube comparisons and listening to the sound clips on the Matias site. In the end, I chose the slightly lower pitched clicks of the Das Keyboard over the runner up, the Matias tactile pro, whose charms were many, but whose clicks sounded a bit too chirpy for my taste. Like, what the fk are you so happy about, keyboard?

So yeah, I made my decision blind.

Das Keyboard arrived today. I purchased a refurb direct and it looks to be brand new. No obvious flaws, and was just over $100 shipped. So far so good. My husband can hear it from the next room, I guess I'll see how his cumulative annoyance is shaping up by next week.

But first impression? Totally love it.

12. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I also use a DAS keyboard and enjoy the key action and the overall experience. It is indeed "clicky", so not ideal in a small space with others.

Only other critique is that the legends on the keys are extremely small and in a font that makes them very difficult to read.

13. malandra macrumors regular

Yes, the font is not only small, it is lowercase, which I've never seen before. it took me a short while to get used to it. That said, I'm trying to learn to touch type, so I'm trying not to look anyway.

14. Commy1, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If it's for a gaming machine then get something from Razer. I think they make Mac alternates for all of their boards. And they're mechanical and backlit.
    http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blackwidow-ultimate

Mechanical keyboards use Switches which are divided into colours, each one has a property such as press distance, "clicky" sound, actuation speed, etc. The generally accepted switch in gaming boards are Cherry I believe. The switches are also replaceable in most boards.
    This is how I understand it any way, I'm sure there is more to it.

15. esskay macrumors 6502

A couple years ago I tried a mechanical keyboard. Prior to that the last mechanical keyboard I had used was in the late 80s, one of those clicky IBM keyboards.

I'm hooked, I'll never use anything but a mechanical keyboard again if I can help it. I love them! My primary is a Das. I have another newegg rosewill keyboard which also has Cherry switches, it's not as pretty as the Das but gets the job done and was pretty cheap on sale.