What kind of performance should expect from the new iPhone in a non 4G LTE Market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmiller598, Aug 25, 2012.

1. gmiller598 macrumors newbie

I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3 and I currently have the iPhone 4 in Columbus, OH.

Neither AT&T or Sprint have 4G LTE here yet. Only Verizon has it but I'm not really looking to switch to Verizon due to the cost and plan structure.

I do currently have the grandfathered "unlimited" data from AT&T so I'm debating on staying with AT&T or switching to Sprint to take advantage of a family plan with my girlfriend.

Since nobody knows when 4G LTE will be rolled out in Columbus for either carrier, what type of performance should I expect? Will there be any performance lift from their current 4G networks versus the 3G I currently have?

Anyone have any insight on when Columbus could get the LTE from either carrier?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, if you aren;t getting LTE in your area any time soon I would expect to see the same/similar performance to what you currently have, unless I am just not understanding the question.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

4. gmiller598 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess what I am asking on that is that my iphone 4 is only 3G capable and does not use any of the 4G networks for any carrier. (LTE or not) If my area is not on 4G LTE, will I get any performance lift from the carrier's other "4G" networks?

In general, are these 4G LTE phones from any carrier "Backwards compatible" to use the non LTE 4G networks they have?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The iPhone 4 is HSPA. The 4S supports HSPA+. I would imagine the next iPhone will also support HSPA+ as well as LTE. Theoretically HSPA+ is faster than HSPA, although in real world situations I haven't noticed a speed increase at all.

(Note: HSPA is a GSM technology. None of this is applicable for CDMA iPhones)

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, if they don't find a LTE signal they will fall back on 3G. And as I said above, you will be able to use HSPA+ with AT&T, as it was added in the 4S. Think of it as faster 3G, though some carriers market it as 4G.

7. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Even just using ATT, the iPhone 4 was faster than the 3g, and my iPad "3" in non LTE areas is faster than my iPhone 4, because of what previous posters have written.

Without enhancements in "4G" HSPA+ by ATT, you probably won't see any additional improvements in that area. ATT is spending their money slowly adding LTE.