What kind of person are you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kabunaru, Sep 23, 2008.

?

What kind of person are you?

1. Geek

31 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. "Average" kind of person

51 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. "Popular type" of person

23 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. None of these, something else

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. kabunaru Guest

Just what kind of person do you classify yourself as and why?

I see myself as a future scientist but a shy and usually quiet kind of person in real life. I can be either a none of these category, average person or a geek. I am open to any kind of good ideas and I am willing to try something new if it not seems impossible to me.
    I always want to explore the sciences and maybe some day maybe invent something new.
    I can tell others what to do/how to be but I try to avoid that.
    I do things that can be out of the ordinary for most people like shaving my legs, arms and basically everything below the neck. I am a guy by the way.
    I also cannot tell a difference between humour and serious posts online sometimes and I consider myself to be an Independent person.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i take 100% credit for this thread:p;)

I'm the self proclaimed nerd that everyone else sees as a quiet, VERY knowledgeable (ive been called an encyclopedia before lol), semi stoner;)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why do we always have to label ourselves?

oh and the descriptions are way to narrow to accurately describe the vast majority of people, here, or elsewhere.

4. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Is there any thing wrong with that? Why are you being so judgemental so quickly?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its a simple question of how you view yourself. The poll is kind of irrelevent, TS is just asking us to take a look at ourselves and think about what we think of ourselves. I think it would lead to great discussions. The reason he only listed a few stereotypes is because when thinking about ourselves, we are way too complicated, but if someone where to ask you to describe yourself to another person, you would have to reduce your explanation down to a simple stereotype.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

popular type of person. yes i was one of 'those" people you probably hated in high school strictly because of the people i hung out with and the functions i attended. . But i was never rude, mean, and i treated everyone equally. i'd like to say, i think the fact that i am nice, has gotten me far in life. anyway, always have been a people person.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't think that I could classify myself into any of those three categories. If I did have to describe myself generally along with those three above areas, then I would probably be somebody who is not a geek, but has an above-average amount of knowledge computer technologies; a person who gets really nervous in certain situations (but I am slowly improving on that point); I am generally shy when it comes to meeting people in an everyday sense, but am extremely outgoing when I can tell that somebody else is in a shy situation. I might expand on this in the future, but for now that is all that I am going to say.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I know exactly what your talking about. The popular kid that is popular for good reason. I have no problem with people that are well known because they are genuinely a good person.

I do think its funny/sad when people are popular for reasons like money or being a bully, you know, your "stereotypical" popular highschooler.

I myself dont consider myself that popular, but I've never wanted to be. I am much more comfortable out of the limelight, thats where i do my best work lol.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I am neither popular nor average, and not really a geek in the strictest sense.

I notice patterns in just about everything (apophenia), am overly analytical and at times critical, and tend to be more creative than not. I get ticked off if I don't have freedom and independence (which can be trouble). I have a scar on my right knee.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

TS, how about you take down the poll so that people dont feel so constrained by the few choices?

I think this could be a great thread if people just came in and openly described how they feel about themselves. It would also help with the sense of community on these forums:)

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

nice. everyone should post like this. simple but descriptive.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Didnt you also play doogie howser?:p

13. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

seems awfully judgemental for you to project judgementalness on someone who is simply pronouncing judgement. Expand the categories to include all people, else this is simply a poll for the scientifically inclined who wish to be different from the masses.--Tongue firmly in cheek...:D

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

no i like the poll. it gives everyone a starting point and reason to explain themselves.

15. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I also feel like should not belong on this Earth sometimes.
    I feel like I should be somewhere else or at least in a different time period.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm the "behind the scenes" guy that knows how to get things done. I know everyone important and everyone important knows me.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm not being judgmental. i'm asking a fair question. as a society we are geared towards labeling ourselves in one way or another, which isn't always the healthiest means of constructing one's self identity based around stereotypes that aren't always true or accurate to each and everyone's personal traits and uniqueness.

no you don't have to reduce yourself down when asked by other people. you can just list your traits, positive or negative. and i understand its a simple question and i'm not trying to 'rock the boat' here or anything but sometimes trying to define one's self via labels that are inaccurate, vague, or too general is not a good or healthy thing mentally.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes but we are going to get far too many people thinking that TS just wanted to stereotype people.

Well then, just be like the rest of us here and ignore the poll and just be honest about yourself.

Also, classifying things is human nature (whether thats good in terms of people, is debateable (NOT IN THIS THREAD:p))

19. kabunaru thread starter Guest

"Something else" could also mean "Other".

I see nothing wrong with the poll.

What about you guys, Poll or no Poll?
    Which would be better now?

20. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I'm the kind of person who has trouble making it to the bathroom on time, but when I do...OH BOY!!!! :eek:

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

No, I'm awesome. Thanks of watching.

-

Poll. This at least will somewhat keep the thread on track. If it's a free for all it'll go off track too quick.

22. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

aw crap...

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

24. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I can tell that by your avatar even.

25. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Note, however, he doesn't not tell us what he is another of! Another... pickle? caper? beagle?

Going by the avatar, he is a curmudgeon.