What kind of ram should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odano, Jul 18, 2012.

1. odano macrumors newbie

I have a 15 inch mid 2010 macbook pro and I was wondering how much can I upgrade my ram to? I have 4 gigs already. Also what is the best kind of ram to get?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You can go up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Use something like the model checker on crucial.com - This will give you the RAM type/speed/pin count etc. It's a cheap time to buy this ram as well. Enjoy.

4. Dviper27 macrumors member

8gb. Buy the cheapest ram you can get. I always used MacSales.com works great!

5. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

The Mouflon is a pretty bad-ass mother-flipper of a ram. It'll kick the ass of any domestic sheep... Oh, wait, you meant "RAM". Never mind... :p

6. igiboi macrumors member

LOL :eek:

7. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I normally visit crucial.com and drill down to your model. It will tell you the max memory and the type/speed to use. With that information, I shop around like Newegg and Amazon for good deals on the memory. Good luck.

8. odano, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

odano thread starter macrumors newbie

9. odano thread starter macrumors newbie

Also it seems like my mac has slowed down over the course of 2 years. What seems to be the problem. Sometimes I have to wait 10 seconds for a program to respond...

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

11. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

GGJ has some good stuff with his link. Mostly if you run the permission verify/check via Disk Utility, that fixes most of the problem. Could even fix your speed problem. Give that a shot, its free and its quick.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.