what kind of ssd speeds on 2010 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acorn, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have read that the 2010 13 inch macbook pro cant take full advantage of a samsung 840 pro ssd.

So what kind of speeds could I expect with that setup. I cant decide if I should just sell it and get a 13 inch retina in a few months or keep it for awhile longer. The core 2 duo seems to be really aging compared to what I can get now. however a ssd upgrade seems to be the cheapest way to go about it.

2. simsaladimbamba

S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II), which should more than suffice for the random read/write access the SSD needs to make a computer feel and work faster.

The 2011 and newer Macs are the ones implementing S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III).

Also check www.everymac.com for other specs of specific Macs you are interested in.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

About 260/250 read/write.
    For speed anything above that doesn't really do too much for you.
    What makes SSDs fast is the Random read/write speed and everything past 50 MB/s in that departement will be too much for any mobile CPU anyway. Really fast access of microseconds rather than milliseconds are the great thing but also not affected by SATA 2 or 3.

High read/write of 400-500MB/s only helps for very few use cases where you need to read a big chunk of sequential data (like extract an uncompressed archive) and even there the difference is rather small compared to the different between any slow SSD and an HDD.

4. jmdMac macrumors regular

260/255 read/write

This is with a Samsung 840 250GB in a mid-2010 15" MBP (as is my signature).

Attached Files: