What kind of things could a fingerprint scanner be used for on a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by definitive, Apr 24, 2013.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Besides unlocking a device, what kind of use would a fingerprint scanner serve? It doesn't seem like a necessary feature in a phone as there is a password lock, so it wouldn't be considered as being "major" feature update...

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Bragging rights?:D

3. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

If the right APIs are added, other apps that have a passcode lock could be used to work with a fingerprint. Right off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen apps I have where I need to login. That would be nice to just open an app without the need for a passcode / password while still keeping them secure from prying eyes.

4. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

I would welcome it as a security feature. Like require a fingerprint scan to reset the device, which may hopefully deter people from stealing phones...etc.

5. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I think this will be the biggest reason for parents to set a finger scan "passlock" for when they hand off their phone to their kids to play games which leech off your wallet. Now when an in-app purchase is needed, the kid can't just blindly buy buy buy because it will require the parent's fingerprint scan, not just a stolen passcode.

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think the biggest feature will be the ability for third parties to have access to it. This would allow Apple to basically act as a two-factor login system using fingerprints for 3rd parties.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I'll want to see it used as authentication in third party apps. I'd love to use it to unlock my 1Password app instead of typing in a long password on a phone.

Also, what about using it as a component of two-factor authentication with online services?

8. JAT macrumors 603

Maybe for young kids. Mine would probably learn how to duplicate my print. And that's still no different than a passcode you type.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Duplicate your print? I'm pretty sure they are not using a fingerprint scanner designed in the 1970s.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure how sophisticated this scanner would be but you can beat/trick most basic ones very easy.
    Kinda sounds like a useless gimmick feature to me but will wait to see how they will implement it if they do release it on the next iphone.

You'd be surprised how easy they are to dupe;)

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I can say that some of the tech that apple bought is quite sophisticated. They can tell if it is a living finger, so that basically throws out the window replicating a fingerprint or even severing a guys finger to unlock it. The question is whether they will use it.

I honestly don't expect this tech to come to the iPhone any time soon, if at all. I would suspect we see this in their macs first. Just a feeling, no empirical evidence on that.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Hope its not like those cheap PC laptops with the finger scanner where you can trick it with a paper fingerprint photocopy:D

13. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unlocking the phone, access to certain apps, financial transactions.

Using fingerprint security for financial transactions would be amazing. I still have no idea why we sign slips of paper or little electronic boxes when using cards. You can buy everything on the entire Amazon site and never sign your name.

If Visa had an app that required an approved fingerprint to complete a transaction on a credit card, this is much more secure than any code or signature. The system would obviously need security parameters, but it's much easier to hack into an account by guessing passwords compared to faking or overriding fingerprint recognition.

We used a handprint scanner in college in the late 1990s for access to our dorms, access to the dining halls and numerous other things. Maybe this is that finally hitting the rest of society.

15. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is the most appealing thing about the scanner.....not having to log into apps. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to log into HBO Go whenever the app decides to kick me out. I know it only takes a few seconds, but not having to type in a password would be really nice.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

18. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

lolz, this. It's bloody easy to get by a fingerprint scanner if you have access to something the person has touched without a gloved hand.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like many things it's the idea of the feature that's exciting more than practical application.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Only in the movies.

Apple's scan tech reads subcutaneously. It is impervious to surface skin abrasions and fingerprint fading due to age. It also knows if the finger is dead or alive.