Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
So im waiting for the 27" home cinema display to be avaiable, when i get that, i want a mac mini.

Cause im tired of hooking my macbook to my current display. Also.

What do you think the next mac mini will be like? is there hope to see i5?

Or do you just think they will bump the speed of the core 2 duos

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
So im waiting for the 27" home cinema display to be avaiable, when i get that, i want a mac mini.

Cause im tired of hooking my macbook to my current display. Also.

What do you think the next mac mini will be like? is there hope to see i5?

Or do you just think they will bump the speed of the core 2 duos

They will most likely speed bump the Core2 and add the new 320M gpu. Whether that happens next month or next year? Only Steve knows.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i don't see a reason why they couldn't put an i5 in there, but obviously to keep the prices low and the profits high, they'll end up going with the most insignificant update possible (like with macbook pro 13")

ReggaeFire

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2003
i don't see a reason why they couldn't put an i5 in there, but obviously to keep the prices low and the profits high, they'll end up going with the most insignificant update possible (like with macbook pro 13")

The biggest problem with the i5 is that it requires an intel integrated graphics chip, which is apparently a terrible gpu. The larger MBP and iMac got around this by also including a dedicated gpu, but there simply isn't room in a mini for that. This is why Apple had Nvidia cobble together the 320m.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just faster C2Ds and MAYBE a new GPU. Maybe more RAM and bigger HD too

Mini has always been about as fast as MacBook

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
The biggest problem with the i5 is that it requires an intel integrated graphics chip, which is apparently a terrible gpu. The larger MBP and iMac got around this by also including a dedicated gpu, but there simply isn't room in a mini for that. This is why Apple had Nvidia cobble together the 320m.

I always hear this 'space' argument. Before the 2008 mac mini came out and there were rumors of 5 usb ports, several people said it must be a fake, because "there is not enough space inside the mini to support the extra ports".

Here we go again, "not enough space for a dedicated gpu".

That's what engineers are for: they can re-arrange things, reconfigure, pack things in different, more creatively. Just because you can't identify the space needed inside the current mini doesn't mean they couldn't 'make' the space with an internal redesign.

That said, I agree that the mini likely won't have a dedicated gpu. Not because of space but economy. The mac mini has always been meant to be the 'economy' mac, and it's specs have always been in line with the macbook (and the ibook before it) and NEVER in line with the macbook pro (powerbooks).

Personally, if they made a mac mini with the same specs as the 15" macbook pro, I'd be all over that thing. And yes, I would pay the $1199 or whatever it is that such a specced machine would run.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
There have been times when the mini has been woefully lacking behind the MacBook. It took over 9 months for the mini to get a C2D after the MacBook did. When the MacBook dropped the GMA950 for the X3100, the mini kept going until they both got the 9400m. Even at the start of Intel, the mini had a Core Solo and 1.66 Core Duo whereas the MacBook start at 1.83 CD.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
There have been times when the mini has been woefully lacking behind the MacBook. It took over 9 months for the mini to get a C2D after the MacBook did. When the MacBook dropped the GMA950 for the X3100, the mini kept going until they both got the 9400m. Even at the start of Intel, the mini had a Core Solo and 1.66 Core Duo whereas the MacBook start at 1.83 CD.

Point taken. I could amend my comment to read: "At best, the mac mini has been in line with the macbook (ibook previous) and never the macbook pro.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

larq2391

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Assuming Apple does what they've been doing for the past few Mac Mini updates:
Low end will go to a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 320m GPU, 4 GB of RAM, and will get a 250/320 GB HDD.
High end will go to a 2.8/2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 320m GPU, and will get a 500 GB HDD.

Prices will stay the same.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
you can buy three 27" non-apple branded monitors TODAY for the cost of a "future" 27" apple one.

next mac mini will either be released in may (along with updated imacs) or in september for the holiday season. most likely c2d with speed bump and nvidia 320m keeping in line with the 13" mbp. if they wait til september, there's a very slim chance it could get an i3 with 320m.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009

The MBP couldn't have had the same upgrades as the others because of the size of the logicboard.....AKA there was not enough room.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Mini needs a HDMI port and better graphics such as the 320M, if it gets those and a core 2 bump along with a fresh paint job( Black) it will be kick ass. It aint going to have an i5 in it and it doesnt need one anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.