What kind of USB hard drive do I need to connect to my Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sandman512, Feb 16, 2013.

1. sandman512 macrumors member

Looking for some extra storage and ideally would like to have a shared network Hard Drive. What kind of USB hard drive would I need to connect to my Airport Extreme? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Any available 2.5" (powered via USB) and 3.5" (powered via power adapter) HDD in a USB 2.0 enclosure will do just fine.

3. sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Sim.....

4. sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

Quick question, will a USB 3.0 work? Need to pick one up today.
    Thanks!

5. COrocket macrumors 6502

I do not think that the USB port on the Extreme is USB 3.0, so you probably won't see the full USB 3.0 transfer speed. However they are backwards compatible so the drive should run just fine at 2.0 speeds.

6. sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Picked up a 1TB Western Digital. Just a FYI for anyone out there, it has to be a FAT32 format in order to work.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Several formats can be used with AirPort, FAT32 is one of them and that's the format most 1TB drives would come out of the box with. However any hard drive can be easily reformatted to a different file system if the default one isn't what you need.

8. sandman512, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

sandman512 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. When I bought the drive, I formatted it under Windows 7, I think it was NTFS? The drive was not detected on my network? After finding a program that can format it to FAT32, I hooked it up and was discovered immediately. If need be, I will try another format. Once again, thank you.

Just found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2426

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I guess "easily" may have been an overstatement on my part :/ I just did some googling on formatting FAT32 under Win7, I see that it's not as easy as it is with OS X. 3rd party utility seems the simplest solution, there's a command-line method apparently but it looks like it takes a LONG time to format.