What kinds of tests to run on a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanwarsaw, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Okay so Ihave my replacement MBP coming tomorrow. My first one had some issues and one I should have caught which was the Bluetooth didn't work. I realised 3 weeks after having it that I hadn't even used the DVD player. My old MBP was a mess when they tore it apart but operated pretty well when I was using it. I am going to a very remote location with no hopes of service so would like to make sure my MBP is in tip top shape.

I am going to a very remote location with no hopes of service so would like to make sure my MBP is in tip top shape.

So what I am asking is what kind of programs would you run and checks would you do to stress every part of the system to see if it running perfectly? My old MBP was a mess when they tore it apart but operated pretty well when I was using it.

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Try trowing random things at it, that should tell you what works or not!

use the search feature I think I have seen this kind of post 4 times or so.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Drive a semi over it to see if it's strong enough. I know my Thinkpad survived when I tried it. :p

4. Goettel macrumors member

Slap the install DVD written «Contains AHT version xxx» on it in the drive and reboot holding down the D key.

Follow the instructions and make it do the complete test. It might take quite a while depending on how much ram you have. The Apple Hardware Test will test the whole machine, you will hear each fan go up to max, it tests the logic board... the longest part is testing the ram.

If it comes out clean then it is a good indication that you should be good to go.

5. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

That isn't reliable as I did that to find the missing bluetooth on my Mac and all systems checked out. A day later the logic board was being replaced along with the screen and BT and Apple is giving me another machine.