What kink of drives can I add in this Lacie enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yzc717, Dec 20, 2009.

1. yzc717 macrumors member

I recently bought this Lacie external hard drive enclosure with 1TB from amazon. The specifiction doesn't say how big the disk it supports.

Can I replace the build in drives(2x500GB) with another brand of drives that is bigger than 1TB(2x2TB)?

Anyone with any experiences with Lacie? is it a 3.5 or 2.5 disk?

Thank you~

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. yzc717 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much.

Can I take out the drive from the drive handle. It seems these two are attached and not removable.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

The LaCie 2big Quadra is the most complete 2-disk RAID solution for digital libraries, creative pro and office workstations that need storage/backup capacity, speed, and advanced data protection. It’s easy to use, and comes with two extractable, lockable and hot-swappable disks in RAID 1 mode. With burst transfer rates as high as 165MB/s** (eSATA 3Gb/s) in RAID 0, the 2big Quadra is ideal for high speed-demanding applications like audio/video projects (DV and SD video playback or 2D/3D imaging). It functions as a complete solution for data protection, and comes with advanced backup software with computer recovery options: Genie Backup Manager Pro™ for Windows® and Intego Backup Manager Pro™ for Mac® users. The sturdy, aluminum heat sink design—with 60% more surface area for heat dissipation—keeps it quiet and safe. This versatile solution offers various space-saving configurations—upright, horizontal, stacked, or rack-mounted. The LaCie Shortcut Button on the front launches any backup or library application of your choice in just one push.***
    from http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=11140

Also see page 19 of the manual: http://www.lacie.com/download/manual/2big_Quadra_en.pdf

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have the same drive with 2 2TB WD drives in it. It originally came with two 500GB Seagate drives in it from LaCie. They were too noisy so I got the two WD drives for it and then put the Seagates into another drive where they don't make any noise.

The drives are secured in the handles with four easy to remove screws.

I just use the drives in bunch of disks mode.