What local dialects/slang words do you use that might seem weird to other people?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by big_malk, Aug 22, 2009.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I came across this page which talks about the Scots language, although Scots is pretty much a dead language now and people speak English with a Scots dialect.
    I've never thought about it much but I guess I talk with an accent that would sound really peculiar to people who aren't used to it, although it obviously sounds normal where I live in Scotland.

For example...
    A dea ken - I don't know'
    Dreich - a sort of wet but not really raining, miserable day
    Wheesht - be quiet
    Baffies - slippers
    There's loads more examples here.

Are these words all that unusual to you folks from other parts of the world?
    What words are used commonly where you live that you won't find in the dictionary?

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I live in Texas ... just about every other phrase here is unusual and not found in the dictionary. My neighbors have thrown these gems out from time to time: "raise the window down", whomperjawed (messed up), gully-washer (intense, hard rain) and catty whompus (out of kilter, amiss).

Not to mention some great sayings:
    And my favorite comeback to illogical nonsense:
    The most surprising one came from Georgia, where being a "gleam in your daddy's eye" often meant one day you'd likely become his "spittin' image." I later read that the phrase was actually "spirit and image" done with a Southern accent.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The only ones I knew the meaning of are:

Aye
    Biddie
    Bonnie
    Dour
    Gassed
    Ginger
    Glen
    Hammered
    Hosed
    Puss
    Tad

I like "Foos yer Doos?"

4. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm here a 'gleam in your daddy's eye' usually refers to back in the days before you were a gleam in your daddy's eyes.

That's like the English phrase fur coat and no knickers :p

5. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I really like that one too.
    [​IMG]

Back in New England, we were pretty bland on that front. All we had was "All talk, no action." Well, that and lot's of name calling, but it sounds a bit lame.

You'd get that "gleam" phrase when you've broken some heirloom or lost some precious trinket of your Mom's. It goes like this: I've had that (thing that is more precious than you right now) since before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye.

I always wondered if the next step was her putting out the spark in my own! (My parents were from the South, although I was born and raised up North, so I learned at an early age to translate Southern.)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, I hear some good ones in Texas. One that drives me nuts is:

I'm fixin' to... (I'm about to...as in "I'm fixin' to whoop yer ass!")

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

8. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

HEY! I resemble that one! As a Texas transplant from Mass, Ahm tellin' yah that yowah "wicked" comment is a wickahd pissah!

:p