What made you choose the MBPr to game on over an Xbox One or PS4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 10, 2014.

1. Hieveryone, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Also, what games do you play on your MBPr? Do you use a controller?

I had a late 2013 15" MBPr with 2.6 GHz processor, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD, but I returned it because it was defective (creaking, uneven screen, Gmail wouldn't work) and ALSO because all the games I like have to be used on PC (CoD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, etc)

I ended up buying the 13" MBPr for about $1600 with education discount and taxes. It is about $1,000 cheaper so I used for that money for an Xbox One and invested the rest (about $400) in an S&P 500 index fund :D

I'm very happy with my setup b/c I personally find gaming more fun on the Xbox One than MBPr and was wondering why people don't do this and instead use the MBPr for gaming.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly, I don't play games and so getting a computer over a game console is a no brainer. rMBPs are not known for the game playing abilities. More so they're tools to accomplish something.

3. severage macrumors regular

I didn't. Still play on my 360 for major gaming (though I do play a fair bit of mine craft on my rMBP 13 2013).

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's true! I guess people who want to game hardcore on computers should get Alienware.

5. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

6. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Uh no, they wouldn't.

Hardcore gaming =/ gaming on maximum settings. Alienware laptops weigh 12 pounds and the charger weighs another 2 or 3 pounds on top of that. I'd rather game on a 650M or 750M on medium settings and have a healthy back than gaming on a desktop replacement spaceship laptop that will hardly ever leave my desk because it weighs more than the desk itself.

This is a pointless flame-bait thread.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Didn't you just post in another thread how great your gaming experience is on the 13'' rMBP?

Last year I bought a PS3 so I can play GTA5. Most expensive DVD player I ever bought... console gaming is just not my thing. Though it also runs SingStar, which is fun!

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I dont play videogames, but wouldnt a proper desktop do a better job at gaming :confused:
    At least when I was young noone played games on a laptop.
    More like Fizzy Drinks and Crisps in a basement with a huge Windows PC. Doesnt really bring laptop to mind.

9. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I don't game on my computer a whole lot. I don't own a MBPr, but on my MBPrO, I would play Minecraft for hours at a time; the nice thing about on a computer is that I could set up a server, and my brother back home and some friends could join in and create this awesome world. I think it kinda died out now, but I have Minecraft on my new MBAir.

I've also played Diablo III on my Pro, and while on low settings, I was still able to play and beat the game; despite some occasional stutter/lag, it's still quite playable. Keep in mind, I have a 2010 MBPro, so it's amazing how there is still support for it with newer games.

I've recently bought Borderlands and KOTOR on the Mac App Store, so my MBAir will probably take over the gaming. I've invested a lot of money on Xbox 360 and PS3 games though, so they each get their time. It's just, with the 360, you get free games each month with Games With Gold if you're a Live Gold subscriber, so you have less excuse not to game on the Xbox. :eek: Sent from my MacBook Air.

10. MikeVera macrumors member

I play certain games (some real time strategy games, and some MMORPGs like Old Republic) on PC, but like you, I game on my PS4 (AMD Octo-core APU w/ DDR5 for system RAM isnt half bad!!!)...

While the rMBP CAN play games, it def is not a gaming machine. You can get video card upgrades that will help the game run better, but in the end, rMBPs for the most part are "tools" more that gaming laptops.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can't carry an Xbox One everywhere with you.

With my 15" rMBP (2.6/16/1TB/750M), I can play BF4 anywhere I like. I get around 47-50 fps at 1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, FXAA and 16xAF. Lowest FPS is 35 and easily shoots into 60FPS + in quite a number of situations.

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Makes sense! Never thought of the portability aspect.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Besides that, you can't run Photoshop or any other computer software on the Xbox One, save for games :)

14. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I like my 15" MBPr for gaming. I mainly use it for blizzard games. I don't think the 13" would fare well with those games.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't game on my rMBP.

I have an Asus gaming laptop with dual SSDs, fast dGPU, etc. for gaming.

When I play games the rMBP fans spin up and it's all very loud. When I game on the Asus, the fans barely spin up and I don't hear a thing.

Anyways I do have an Xbox One and a PS4, but I prefer my gaming computer.

16. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

FPS games are horrible to play on a controller...and MBPr is a good all-round product where i consider XBox and playstation to be more of a gaming product for 12 year olds ... at least thats the people you meet online.

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's why you get both ;)

18. MikeVera macrumors member

The PS4 has a little bite to it with the octo-core APU and DDR5 as it's system RAM, but like some have mentioned, some games are better on PC.