What made you chose the iPad2 over the Galaxy Tab 10.1 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm torn between the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, or simply getting a second laptop. We're retired, so work productivity is not an issue, but still do some minor spreadsheets and letters, and would also like to use the tablet as a book reader. Basically, we need something for when one of us is on the computer, the other can use it to browse the web, read emails, etc.

The iPad2 has a longer track record, and Apple customer support is fantastic (wife has the 4s, and I have iPod-Touch), but I like the idea that the GT 10.1 is not as locked down as the iPad 2.

A second laptop would give us everything, but it would be more expensive (for the model we are looking at), and we would still need to buy a Nook Color/Tablet to read books.

So, for those who were on the fence, what was the deciding factor that made you chose the iPad2 over the GT 10.1, and are you satisfied with your decision?

This is really a tough decision, and any insight will be appreciated; Thank you

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

How is locked down a disadvantage for the typical tablet user?

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm not sure that it is a disadvantage- it could be an "advantage"; less margin for messing the system up.

I should have asked if customization on a tablet like the GT 10.1 is an advantage.

Thank you

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

What made you choose..? because it's better. Period.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've never read a single review of any other tablet that claimed they were comparable to an iPad, honestly. I never considered anything else - I wanted an iPad, not a tablet.

If you get an iPad, your computer will be the thing one of you has to use to surf the web because the other one has the iPad.

There are some things apple locks down that are annoying, but that's what jailbreaking is for - hopefully we'll have a 5 jb sooner rather than later!

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's not really possible to say it's better.
    It may be better for one person but worse for another.

If you have a wife and 3 kids to have to take to school and clubs, then do you buy a 2 seater sports car?

If you only have a girlfriend who loves open top whizzing round country lanes, then do you buy a 7 seat people carrier vehicle?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you already have an iPhone and iPod touch, then in terms of "locked-downness" or lack of customizability, the iPad is the same. So ask yourself if the iPhone and iPod leave you frustrated by their lack of openness and flexibility. If the answer is no, then it's likely that the iPad won't frustrate you either. Just keep in mind that, aside from the bigger screen, the iPad works exactly the same as iPhone and iPod touch. Anything you can do on the iPhone, you can do on the iPad (aside from making phone calls), and anything you can't do on the iPhone, you can't do on the iPad.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Night Spring said it well.

The other plus is apps you might have purchased for iPhone/iPod...some are Universal and thus "free" for you on the iPad too.

A co-worker wants an Android-based tablet (cannot remember which one) because he wants to tinker with it, over clock it, root it, etc. BUT he said he might get an iPad too, because he knows it will work when he needs a tablet to actually work.

Get an iPad, if you don't like it, sell it for almost the same cost...or get a Galaxy Tab and if you don't like it you might find a buyer.

You already know the Apple ecosystem and the ways things work, the iDevices you have are easy...so is the iPad.

10. Skika macrumors 68030

Because i trust Apple making a stable good(looking) polished OS more than Google.

Simple.

11. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

That's clearly misleading. The screen-estate opens a whole new universe of possibilities compared to iPhone/iPod touch.
    I guess you were mainly alluding to customizability and stuff but the statement is poorly worded.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Sure it is.

Technically both the hardware and user experience is far superior on the iPad, specially concerned for the majority of users. Who gives 2 cents about the last 10% ?

You might want to work on those analogies and bring some facts to the table instead.

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

There is no fence for those of us already in the Apple ecosystem. With you already using iPhone and iPod touch I would think it would be an easy decision. Go ahead and get the samsung, you will end up unhappy with it, maybe sell it for $150, then go get an iPad.

:apple:

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Have a household with six computers and two Android smartphones. The iPad cannot replace any of the computers and I appreciate the much greater flexibility of the Android devices compared to the iPhone. So why not an Android tablet?

Two reasons. First and foremost the iPad is a family device and the huge selection of apps for kids is a major factor. (This despite the fact that the iPad is SEVERELY lacking in features to make it an adequate device for a family to share.)

Second, the last thing I need/want is another system administration task. The lack of flexibility in the iOS ecosystem is the cost I bear for the benefit of not having to administer the iPad as I would a more flexible device.

The "walled garden" approach of iOS is often rigid and inefficient. But it means I don't have to worry about malware and viruses infecting the iPad. Backup facilities are problematic whether one uses iTunes, iCloud, or a third party solution but I don't use the iPad for mission critical tasks. Multi-tasking is severely limited as well but with a 9 inch screen running a single app at a time (with a few exceptions) is almost always sufficient.

These are all weaknesses (some of which exist in the Android ecosystem, some of which don't), but as long as I keep my expectations and requirements in mind, the iPad wins.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sounds like an iPad will work out well for you.

Unless there's something specific about the Galaxy Tab that you want I can't think of any reason why you should get one over an iPad 2...

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, you are right, should have phrased that better, but I was somewhat pressed for time when I typed that post.

I meant that system level stuff, like system settings, backup, syncing, file transfer from various apps to computer, etc, works the same on the iPad as on the iPhone / iPod touch. User experience-wise, the big screen on the iPad makes a whole world of difference.

I mean, technically, anything that can be done on the iPad can also be done on an iPhone, but cramming all the info and UI that can be spaced out nicely on an iPad into the smaller iPhone screen often makes the user experience so tedious and clumsy that it's not practically feasible. I mean, Apple did make Pages universal so it also works on the iPhone, but I tried it once and gave up. But it does, technically, work. Same thing with any other iPad app. I mean, when I first saw Elements on the iPad, I thought surely that wouldn't fit on the iPhone, but it seems they now have an iPhone version, so... *shrug*

17. matrix07, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

How? Everyone (reviewers) said it is better and from my experience I quite agree with them. I think you're just confused. It's not meant to say it's better for OP. it's meant to say it's better for me AND over all.

18. IsaacM macrumors member

Pretty much everything.

The super responsive screen, thousands of apps that make almost everything possible to do on it, beautiful design, etc

The only thing i wish i could do on an ipad that i cant do is download torrents. But its not that big of an issue to turn on my home pc via Wake app, set up my pc to download something via torrent with Splashtop app and transfer it back wirelessly to my iPad.

The apps are what make iPad so magical.

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I just picked the best tablet on the market. Didn't even consider the Tab. I have no interest in running the messes they call Android.

----------

Except for the simple fact that it's better.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think I've read any reviews that said the user experience is objectively better. Personally I don't believe it is.

Except for the simple fact that its impossible to say that its better.

That being said, the only way to know for sure is to try them both out.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Except that is not a fact. The fact is I did say it's better. I contunue to say so. So, yes, it's very possible to say it's better. To be very clear. The iPad is MUCH better than the Galaxy Tab. See, it's not only possible, it's easy and it's a fact :)

22. xraytech, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

Go to a Best Buy and ask them to demo an Android Tablet for you. Then go to an Apple Store and have them demo an iPad for you. Then go from there.

23. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Do you want something that just works, or something that just works :p

Ie something you can turn on and never have an issue with, or something that'll do what you want but only just.

24. mudman2 macrumors member

At least with with a Galaxy you can know all the users on a first name basis;)

25. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Galaxy Tab, while a nice device, is running on the old chip. Tegra 2 is fairly old, and not exactly going to set any speed records.

I currently own an iPad 2. Decision to buy it is something that I am regretting for the last 5 months. I bought it at launch, and few months later, the wow factor wore off. If anyone offered to trade it for Transformer Prime, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Everyone keeps talking APPS APPS APPS and more APPS. But in reality, only "App" I use is a web browser, video player, and few games (very rarely). I do not need another bazillion apps that I can get. Don't get me wrong. I have quite a bit of apps that I bought, but honestly, I do not use them. Notable exception, something which is not available on Android, is ForeFlight, which I use for flight planning.

While this thread is more of iPad 2 vs Galaxy Tab, I would probably still pick iPad 2. It just seems a better device. But facing new tablets, such as Transformer Prime, iPad 2 unfortunately, falls flat on it's ass.