What makes Apple "the Richest company in the world"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Troon, May 25, 2012.

1. Troon macrumors regular

Troon

I read a lot that Apple are the richest company in the World. Is that cash rich, as in cold hard cash in the bank? Or a combination of cash in the bank, stock, assets etc?

If it's cash in the bank then they're nowhere near the richest company in the World

2. ThemacNub macrumors regular

It's their total assets, they have substantial cash at bank as well as millions/billions of dollars worth of patents. The are also highly profitable which is why they have earn the "richest company" title

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Who said Apple was the richest ? By assets/cash on hand, they aren't.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you see these articles about Apple being "richest", they are referring to valuation. That is share price ~$562 times number of shares = bajillions of dollars. When measured by this metric, Apple is biggest.

When measured by revenue, Apple is not the largest. Walmart, Exxon and others head up that list. Looks like Apple is in 43 place by revenue if this Wiki info is accurate.

5. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

Thanks mate. I work in Oil and gas. I nearly went to work for Saudi Aramco, but didn't as i got a better offer.

Aramco have a minimum of $5 TRILLION in the bank as cold hard cash as well as massive oil reserves that could buy Apple a thousand times over.

I don;t mean this as a confrontational post, it may look like that. I'm an Apple user, and, basically, i'm having an easy day at work so decided to ask this..............

:D

----------

Read my reply above mate. Yeah, the oil companies make Apple look small fry, esp Aramco. I could even write Five Trillion $$ in numbers :D

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's market capitalization that makes Apple the most valuable company in the world.

Also looking at Aramco's year end December 31, 2010 auditor's report and consolidated financial statements, they likely have about 2-3 trillion in Saudi Riyals (today's exchange rate is about 1 US$ = 3.75 Saudi Riyal). So the company has probably close to one trillion $, not 5.

And I know you were exaggerating, but Saudi Aramco would theoretically be able to buy Apple only once (if even that) and not a thousand times over :p

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Apple is the MOST VALUABLE GLOBAL BRAND. Not the richest on cold hard cash.

Saudi Aramco is stil Gov Owned 100% right? So by being gov owned there can only be speculation on how much is really worth and since it's gov owned it would not be considered on global charts since expenditures & earnings might come from other places/$ of gov and is value based one estimates. All people can do is give estimates of value for Aramco and it's value is bias no matter who would evaluate it; until Aramco privatizes a % we can't know the value. An example of this is with the Brazilian Oil company for which part of it was privatized. Until part of it gets privatized people can say it's worth just a mere $5 or $5,000,000,000 it could all be true or false.

I don't know who is giving you these inflated numbers for Aramco, if they just like to brainwash you guys making it seem they are the best thing on the planet or what.

8. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

hahah.

I'm not a businessman by any mean. But i do know Aramco have a MIN of $5 Trillion in the bank. it's well known in the O&G game

----------

I've worked in O&G in the middle east for years. Aramco has a min of 5 trillion USD in the bank. Some estimates have it at 12

9. 184550 Guest

Now that your ego has been soothed, can we close this thread? :rolleyes:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. iJohnHenry, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now THAT is synergy. :D

12. Surely Guest

Surely

They definitely have the cash for it. Perhaps send an email to Tim Cook?

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Can I ask you what is it that you do in the company since you are not a businessman and do you have links to those estimates or are they just office water-cooler estimates?

14. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

I'm a mechanical engineer in this game.

----------

What you on about hahahah

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Listen to Nathan, as he is our resident ego expert.

Well, now he is, after several recent bans.

:D

16. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

Seems like the kind of guy that give Apple users a bad name TBH :rolleyes:

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're making an assumption that I'd just as soon you didn't. ;)

19. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I looked up enterprise value, which is what it would cost to buy Apple and it came out to $638,464,680,000. That is just buying out all the stock and cash on hand and deducting debt, which is zero. Buildings and intellectual property would add to this.

Dale

20. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

God know what Aramco would be then!!!!

21. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The Saudi oil and gas company?

These guys?

They are private. Its possible to buy anything with enough cash/gold/€/£/¥ but since they have no public stock it's hard to plug them into the formula I used for Apple.

That said, owning Aramco would make you the king of the world :cool:

Dale

22. Troon thread starter macrumors regular

Troon

Too me a company is a company though.