Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpxdmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
My iphone (3G 16GB) went from being awesome to terrible, in a very short span of time.

My warranty ended at the beginning of January. A couple of weeks later, my vibrator died. So I figured fixing it myself would be the best option. And I did. But in the process I apparently injured the cable that allows me to hear out of the earpiece. So I ordered that replacement part. And now I've screwed up my LCD screen. So I'm facing the dilemma of whether or not I should just swallow my pride and go to Apple and get the replacement for $199. At this point, I would prefer to do it that way, since that means I won't screw anything else up, but I'm afraid since I opened it up and the "Do Not Remove" Sticker is gone, I might end up getting charged for the full replacement. And I don't want that. I'd rather keep trying to fix it on my own for cheaper.

I've googled plenty and I've yet to find any definitive answer, so I am turning to this forum.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
i think you should still be able to do it...sounds like you really screwed up. and btw, your third sentence made me laugh.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They should still replace it for $200 for you.
I think as long as the phone is not destroyed and in pieces they will take it in. Its still fixable thru their refurb process. I dont think they will bother openning it to check it. Bring it in, you dont have much to lose.

tpxdmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Oh, I screwed up my poor phone big time.

Luckily the third sentence is a phone issue, and not a separate one...

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Make sure you let us know how it goes.

See this: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

From that link:
For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

One of the things I've wondered is about the example they give in that quote. They say nothing about a phone that is out of warranty due to date. I assume it's covered, but I'd like to see that confirmed. If they don't open your iPhone, we'll see.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
Make sure you let us know how it goes.

See this: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

From that link:

One of the things I've wondered is about the example they give in that quote. They say nothing about a phone that is out of warranty due to date. I assume it's covered, but I'd like to see that confirmed. If they don't open your iPhone, we'll see.

they will reject your phone if you bring it to them in pieces, so make sure to put it back together before you go in ( make sure you don't have any missing pieces)

tpxdmd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for all the help.

I brought it in, the guy at the genius bar first suggested just upgrading to 3Gs (which he thought would be $199, but nope, not till August). He did take out back, he did open it up, and he allowed me to use the out of warranty swap.

Expensive lesson to learn, but I need a phone.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.