What makes people get an iphone despite better specs on other devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 23, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is my first iphone. I Chose it because of the aesthetics and said good battery life

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

3. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Mainly because it is new, and secondly the oleophobic wears off and makes it a nightmare to clean. A new phone solves this, I hate screen protectors as I find them impossible to fit. The last one I tried scratched the friggin screen!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

The design, experience and maturity of the iOS ecosystem. iTunes also makes it easy to manage content. iCloud may also be a factor.

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

Said good battery life? The battery life is superior to Android and Windows in real world use. Even with custom Roms.

iOS just works. The regular hiccups you have on Android like the inevitable lag or 3 steps to complete one task, where it would be one on iOS.

7. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

If you held both phones in hand and tried to accomplish the same task on each. You wouldn't be asking that question.

8. chandler99 macrumors regular

Because Android is a little to clunky for my liking...

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

10. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Software - iOS, ecosystem. Android phones have nice specs but Android OS is a mess (reminds me a lot like Linux is today).

11. Captain America macrumors 6502

iOS is tried and true to be awesome, and it keeps getting better, faster, fluent. The App Store can't be beat, and when they're jailbroken, well that's even better.

I considered defecting when the 4S came out, but I figured I'd stick to my guns and what I know. There are some sweet Droids out there but iPhone is just where it's at I suppose. I still second guess myself from time to time, but that'll all go away when they finally jailbreak it.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just like switching from a PC to a Mac takes a bit of time, patience, and willingness to learn the differences in keyboard keys, modifier keys, Finder vs Explorer etc. Android requires the same willingness to learn.

Frankly (although they claim otherwise) most iPhone users refuse to take time to learn Android. They expect this completely different OS to be like an iPhone.

Even though it's easy and doesn't take long to learn, if you don't go into it opened minded you won't get it.

It's as simple as that.

Me?

I use both, enjoy both immensely & celebrate the differences.

No phone is perfect, yet Android and iOS are both very excellent phones. Having two AT&T lines I can enjoy both an iPhone and Android concurrently.

It allows me to stay current with both and works very well for me.

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

Specs don't matter when the phone with lesser specs outperforms the phone with greater specs.

14. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

Software, software software. I had a ton of android phones and even one windows phone 7 device. I come full circle back to iPhone 4S. Every OS has its bugs but android makes me feel like I'm using a pc that has a virus because somedays it works fine and others it a paperweight. I hate to say it but the iPhone just works when you call on it and I like having that feeling that my phone will be there when I need it.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

16. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Because i know there is more to buying a phone/tablet/computer than simply choosing the one with the better spec list. Its never that simple

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

My motivation to stick with the iPhone is the amount of money I've put into making it perfect for me. If I were to switch to Android I'd have to buy apps that do what I need them to do all over again.

I've switched to Android a couple of times (Nexus One, EVO) but that was a few years back. This far into iOS I'm pretty well dug in.

If I had a second line I'd probably experiment with the latest and greatest Android phone but I can say with confidence that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do my iPhone. The Nexus One was a great device but the OS just wasn't able to keep up with it.

18. Robbug macrumors member

For me it's the seamless integration through the whole apple ecosystem. I am not a fanboy by any means but it's important to me when I use an item, the last thing I want to deal with is fiddling with multitudes of settings to get what I want.

I love customization to a point but I tend to fall in the trap where if offered too many choices I tend to not use the item or not use it to it's full extent.

I don't just use my phone as a phone - in fact I rarely make calls to be honest. I do use it for:
    Engineering:
    - steam pressure and condenser performance calculations
    - HVAC refrigerant performance checks
    - fluid pump vibration checks
    - unit conversions for engineering calculations
    Hobby:
    - controlling my telescope and finding the positions of constellations and planets
    - depth of field calculations for photography
    - locating the position of the sun for finding the sweet light at a photography shoot
    Health:
    - Tracking my runs and making sure I get better
    - Monitoring my blood pressure and weight

I could go on and on (and there are literally hundreds) with my other uses but bottom line up front - no other platform offers all these things on a mobile platform in an easy to use no hassle fiddly way. I don't have to install support programs or anything else. I download and go.

This to me, is more important than 6 cores with 3GB of RAM with a super duper resolution display etc. Specs are nice, but core functionality trumps all that by a mile. Caveat: when specs become too low to support core functionality then I shop for that.

And this applies to my Mac experience as well. Simple straightforward. I used to be a power PC user tweaking every thing under the sun with Windows XP but found I just got too lost in the tweaking and not really using the computer. I felt like the guy that kept on fiddling with his car engine adding and improving it but never really getting out there and just driving to enjoy it.

19. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

As far as I know. The iPhones gpu is the fastest on the market (yes even faster than the Mali400 on the gs2). The display has the highest resolution of any phone released. The battery life is far superior to almost all android phones and the camera is better than any android or wp7 phones. It has a lower clocked CPU than the gs2 but still runs smoother more reliably and the lower clock speeds save a lot of battery. Besides 4g I'm not missing out on any thing with my iPhone 4s. I have more support from the manufacturer than any android device out there. By that I mean I won't have to worry about buying a new phone and never receiving and updat for it. People give the iPhone a lot of crap for being behind the curve on release when it really never is.

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have one word for you....ecosystem!

Because the different sizes and shapes of android phones, it is next to impossible for Android to have an ecosystem.

22. mcmul macrumors 6502

Because I like Apple's succinctness, design and software.

That's without the customer service which is second-to-none. I've got plenty of examples to accompany such a statement but I won't bore you.

23. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Even with "lesser" specs, the iPhone performs better in many cases because of better optimized software for the hardware.

And for me, the design and integration in iOS is far better and superior than that of the Android. Android can come with as many features they can think of, with bad integration it will just become a clutter.

24. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Hardware is useless without good software to utilize it. iPhone is complete in every sense - design, hardware and software, that's the reason why most people buy.

25. macbd macrumors regular

All of the above, and because we're Apple's b*tch.

If we're being honest.