What Makes the Element Vapor Pro Case worth $150? What's the Hype? Its a Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by VideoNewbie, Nov 5, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i still dont quite get the hype surrounding element (or fake element) cases?
    it doesnt seem to provide much protection and appearance wise looks like nothing more than a bumper?

many of the element vapor cases ive seen do not really change the appearance of the phone nor enhance it. it just seems to add more bulk on the bumper and a dash of color. is that worth the 150 dollars?

am i missing something?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're confusing your unwillingness to pay with that of others' willingness to pay.

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

again i ask what justifies the price? who said im unwilling to pay? i just dont understand whats so special about it? i am inviting someone to explain to me why its such a great case or what they hype is about. i just dont get it. saw some pics. it literally looks like a normal bumper but with a metallic sheen.

4. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Tl;dr version: Different people prefer different things.
    ------
    The cost really is most likely part overinflated pricing + cost to manufacture in the States. Stuff is usually more expensive to make statewide than overseas.

Personally don't mind paying the price. I find that aluminum bumpers like the Vapor Pro and e13ctron look and feel just awesome. That's what I'm buying too, the look + feel, not the protection. If I wanted protection and didn't care about what the case looked or felt like I'd get a Tank from CaseMate.

Basically, different strokes for different folks. Everyone has varying preferences :)

For the record, I did just order a Vapor Pro Stealth, so yeah, I'm one of those people you're scratching your head about lol

5. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

arent there many aluminum bumpers out there though?

what makes the element vapors so coveted?
    could u show me some pics of ur phone in the case?

i want to be convinced to buy this case i want to love it but from what ive seen it just looks so common.

6. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

There's a VERY lengthy thread on this very forum about Element's Vapor line of cases, chock full of pictures. If it's your thing, there's also a thread about Chinese Counterfeit Element Vapor Pro cases, also chock full of pictures.

7. MayBee macrumors 6502

you are right...just a bumper.

there are just choices in life.

ask yourself this question...

why are there watches for $10,000 vs. $10? why are there purses for $10,000 vs. $10? why are there laptop for $1000 vs $300? why are there polo shirt for $100 vs. $5? and so on...

8. thaghost macrumors 6502

those analogies make no sense. :confused: A $10 watch serves no more purpose to someone than a $10,000 they both tell time the same. Same with purses, same with laptops, etc.

I think it's a legitimate question. Why pay so much for an aluminum bumper when it doesn't protect your case like a otterbox would. It seems your going to pay more for "less" protection.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you see no difference, then just buy a bumper, save the $$ and be happy :)

10. MayBee macrumors 6502

like I said, there are choices.

a $10 and $10000 watch only tell time..

a $10 and $150 bumper is only a bumper...both are just bumper with minimum protection.

You will have people who are willing to pay $10 for one vs $150 for the same purpose.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Made perfect sense to me

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

aesthetically in my opinion the element vapor pro case looks nicer than say the otterbox one, however the question you should ask yourself is would you pay more for something more aesthetically looking or do you want something more robust. Also would you justify 150usd mostly for looks.

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Because there is a sucker born every minute ....

14. cube macrumors G5

You have no idea of what a $10000 watch is. It is not "just a watch".

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I think the point he's trying to make is that the 10 grand watch doesn't do anything more than a $10 Casio does. In fact, it might even do less, since many luxury watches don't have timers etc that a cheap digital watch does.

Just curious- can you clarify on how it's more than a watch? I don't deny it, just wondering what my 4k Rolex can do over the $50 Seiko I had when I was younger, because as far as I can tell they both only tell me the date and time :p

16. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

because the element bumper looks good thats why, lol wtf? the craftsmanship, and the feel of it is awesome -- the things you cant experience if you DONT buy one....

so people that are WILLING to pay, feel that first hand. and those who make threads like "why why why" are the ignorant people who are in the dark.

its just like people buy designer clothes vs walmart clothes. they serve the same purpose, and they have the same colors, some look the same too, but people want to buy what they want to buy.

this is the same for food, medicine, cars etc etc.

okay, im off the subject a little. but basically the element cases feel awesome, and just have a great look that im specifically looking for. i love my iphone 4s twice fold for the looks it provides

17. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

I don't think asking "why" makes someone ignorant, it's a legitimate question and should be treated as such.

But comparing a Vapor with a Casemate is somewhat akin to comparing apples to oranges - they are two different styles of cases that serve two different functions.

It's like saying I don't understand why someone would spend $25k on a car when I can get a bike for $500 that also gets me from point A to point B.

Compare the Vapor to the Apple bumper; that's more realistic. Still the same price difference, but same theoretical line of product.

Some people (myself included) pay just to see what it's all about. Some people (myself included) then decide that they don't want to spend $150 on an aluminum bumper so they return it within it's return period. Some people (myself included) then try the chinese knockoffs, which tend to run around $20/$25. Some people (myself included) decide the fit on the knockoff isn't as good as the real thing, and eventually go back to a "normal" (in my case, plastic) bumper.

I don't think being curious about them makes somebody ignorant in the least. They're certainly not for everybody. They're not, in my opinion, the best case, but they may be in yours. And that's okay. ;)

18. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Does make sense actually. How much do you know about watches? I'm no expert nor am I anywhere near a connoisseur level, but I know enough to realize that some watch prices are very justified. Take Rolex for example... each one is is made from either solid steel, titanium, gold, or platinum. Yes, a cheap $10 watch tells the time like a Rolex, but it does so with much, much less exotic metals. Also, Rolex's construction is superb, especially their high-end hand made ones. Most Rolex's also do not use a battery unlike a $10 watch. If you think that a $10 watch goes through the same quality control and quality scrutiny as watches like Rolex and Tag Heuer, you're fooling yourself.

With fashion items like a purse, you are paying a premium for the designer. You can buy a $5 polo from Wal-Mart, but don't even try to pretend it's the same quality as a Ralph Lauren. Does the brand name justify the entire premium in price? Certainly not. Definitely worth more than $5 is what I'm trying to get at.

You will always pay a premium based on name alone. But with any quality manufacturer like Rolex, even if you take the name away, the price will be hefty due to the construction and material quality.

This is what you are supposedly paying for when you buy an Element case. You are paying for quality of construction and material. And to say it looks like any normal bumper case is a cop out. Unless of course you completely lack a discerning eye. Something tells me you just make that statement to exaggerate the utility of the case. Most people will tell you that they don't buy these exotic metal cases for protection. Most will tell you straight up that it's for aesthetics.

Aesthetics is a big reason most of us buy iPhones is it not? I don't care how big of an Apple fanboy you are, you can't deny the number of other more powerful phones out there like the Nexus Prime. Yet you buy an Apple product which the majority of consumers (Apple haters included) admit as being a very aesthetically pleasing. iPhones also have the widest selection of accessories ranging from simple skins to tank-like protective cases. If someone wants to buy a $150 case that minimally protects the phone, let them. Just because you prefer one that is protective does not mean your purchase is more justified than theirs. The end result should be whatever makes the person happy.

If you want to spend less money on a more protective case, then go ahead. What is the point in asking others about a more expensive non-protective case? What's your goal here? If you don't think it's worth it, then don't buy it. Simple as that. Stop worrying about what other people buy.

19. thaghost macrumors 6502

I think the whole bumper vs. full case is backwards to most things. You usually pay more for better protection. But with this scenario, your paying more for less protection. As a bumper won't protect your phone as good as a lifeproof or otterbox. That's why i don't see how those analogies make sense in this particular instance.

20. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

By the way, my father is an absolute watch collector. He even takes them apart to examine the insides with one of those magnifying glass things you use over one eye.

He has told me while Rolex is very, very superb... you can buy much cheaper watches with almost as good construction without the exotic metals and name brand premium. He is a big proponent of Swiss made watches. Says their construction is excellent and such, he has a big collection of Swiss watches. He still loves his Rolex though for the classy pure gold it's made from.

----------

No, that is just your narrow-minded opinion on the matter. Where does it factually say that people pay more for better protection? Please point me to that statistic.

If that's the case, why do you buy normal clothes? Why aren't you buying full body protectors so you are completely shielded from the sun? Your logic makes no sense at all. Please rethink it.

Purchases of this nature is purely SUBJECTIVE. YOU pay more for protection. That does not mean that EVERYONE pays more for protection.

Not all of us want to cover up our $200+ iPhone with ugly bulky rubber cases. Some of us want minimal protection with a high quality look to it. To some, they will pay more for what ever makes the phone look the nicest with the best materials.

Again, just because YOU pay more for more protection, does not mean that rule applies to everyone.

Excuse me for being so brash, but you are starting to sound very close-minded. You were given plenty of explanation, yet you keep going back to your own view on the matter. Again, what's the point of you asking if you're going to do this? Was this a rhetorical question?

21. thaghost macrumors 6502

haha no not actually. I am looking to get just a bumper (either the draco IV or element) myself. Take protection plans for instance. You're going to pay more better protection plans. Take cases for iPads for instance. I paid $59 for my incase leather case versus a $90 otterbox case that has better protection. Also, the ghost armor screen protector. Costs $50 vs. zaggs screen protector for $30, because they claim it's better protection that's why it costs more. It's not be narrow-minded, just observant.

I don't mind paying more for a better looking case as I have a protection plan that covers the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. There is a place in todays market for watches such as rolex's, breitling's and purses such as coach and louis vuitton. Your paying more for quality and craftsmanship.

22. MayBee macrumors 6502

+1 so true...

I bought one of the Rolex Datejust for $3000 back then just because I like the bubble on the date. I sold it 4 years later to a friend for $1800 :) It was nice and all, but it was just too heavy after awhile. Thanks for the insight on the Rolex and Swiss.

I paid $2000 to upgrade my exhaust pipe. One day at the stop light, some guy asked me why I change my exhaust?? I'm like...huh? Why is this guy questioning what I do with my car? I was about to ask him "why did you guy rims for your car?" LOL..

I guess I"m one of the "sucker" who like to pay more for things in life during certain time... Some friends called me crazy, but I paid $8,000 for just 5 set of speakers for my entertainment room :)

23. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Well of course you pay for more for more protection on a PROTECTION PLAN lol. Come on bro, please tell me you understand what I'm trying to say.

This is not the case for every type of purchase. I provided what I think is a prime example by asking why you don't buy full protective clothing. Well, it's my assumption that you don't. You'd probably be on YouTube by now if you were walking around in a full-body suit.

Yes, if you are looking strictly at protective cases, generally you look to pay more for more protection. What I'm saying is, not ALL cases are designed for full protection. Some cases are just purely for looks.

Bumpers are in fact mainly to preserve the look of the phone. If you are comparing strictly bumper type cases, the aluminum ones will provide better protection. That is, if they are in fact quality construction.

It's all in the purpose for you purchase. I am one of those that want to preserve the look of my phone or make it look better. I definitely want to keep the slim profile. I wouldn't buy a $150 case. Maybe if I had money to blow then yea, I might. For now, I'm happy buying skins and bumpers or Chinese knock-offs lol.

I will not put an Otterbox on my lovely White iPhone. I bought an extended Apple Care warranty in case of drops. I just want something that will protect it from scratches and minor bumps and drops.

24. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Cases aren't just about protection. The vapor pro provides sufficient protection anyway....

pay for what you want. I personally would never pay that much for a case.

25. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

You just mentioned one of the best ways to differentiate an authentic Rolex from a knock-off. Authentic Rolex's will be much heavier the majority of the time. Most likely due to the quality of the full metal throughout a real Rolex.