What makes you believe?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 7, 2011.

?

What makes you believe?

1. Feeling / intuition

4.8%
  2. Religious experience (please describe)

9.5%
  3. Reasoning (please describe)

11.9%
  4. Evidence (please cite)

33.3%
  5. Other (please describe)

11.9%
  6. All of the above

26.2%
  1. Ja Di ksw, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

What makes you believe in your particular religion?

Edit: I'm genuinely curious, so if we could keep the joking answers to a minimum that would be appreciated.

Also, please be respectful of others. People can disagree or rationally talk out issues around this subject while still being respectful.

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i believe that the apple church is the one and only religion. steve jobs is my god and i am not allowed to have any other god. and why do i think that way? because it read in my imacs manual.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

It would take me all day to explain. :eek: Longer really. I am Christian, but don't believe in "religion." Anyway, the option "all of the above" isn't available. :)

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I answered "evidence," but alas, there is none to cite. ;)

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

A combination of all of those?

also, I think redwarrior and I probably are on the same page - I am a Christian but do not believe in religion's value.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is Christianity not a religion these days? I must have missed the memo. :confused:

7. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So, I don't know how to edit the poll to add an "all of the above" option :(.

Why hasn't anyone given any info, though? We now have two people who said all of the above, but didn't describe any religious experience, what their logical reasoning was, or what evidence they have. I can see how the religious experience might be a bit personal, but reasoning and evidence?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Demanding a logical explanation for a belief in the unbelievable seems like a losing strategy.

9. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

*shrug* I asked why people believe. If one of the things they say makes them believe is reasoning, I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

10. ender land macrumors 6502a

In rough terms:

Religion is about what we can do to get to God.

Christianity (at least Biblical Christianity..) is about how nothing we do ourselves can get us to God.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I am not getting dragged into a religious debate but I answered "evidence" on the basis of science. Though not a religion, that's where I place more belief.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can't say I'm surprised.

Oh yes you are. :)

13. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

My apologies, I should have specified "What makes you believe in religion?". I'm not so interested in why people follow science (if I understood you correctly, you were saying you're not religious yet you believe in science b/c of the evidence).

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

I normally avoid these sorts of discussions because:

1) people who ask these questions normally have no personal interest in the answer other than starting an argument
    2) people who ask these questions normally discredit any experiential evidence as "that's just for you," and feelings as similar, reasoning as "lololol! because you are not as smart as me you believe that!"," and evidence as wrong/misinformed.

For what it's worth, there is a mountain of historical evidence at least for the Bible itself. Jesus DID exist. This is not historically in question. With specific respect to Christianity, the question is not "did Jesus exist" but rather "was he who he said he was."

But there is no more value for me in explaining in detail my beliefs on an online message board to people who in all likelihood are not primarily seeking to learn but rather argue.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Am not! :D

You understand correctly.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, it is in question.

17. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hmm, that's a shame, b/c I was genuinely interested. However, I can understand where you're coming from, and have seen many of those threads as well.

Thank you for explaining why you're not going to elaborate. Even if it didn't lead to anything, it was still nice to know why no response is forthcoming.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Added ;)

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am with you on that one, but I am OK to use the word "religion" for clarity, as opposed to business, cult, or theocracy. So I say religion sounds just fine to me since some "religions" are not a religion but, well, a business, cult, or theocracy. ;)

For the options, I put other, and my explanation is "all of the above".

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I voted "Other", because I don't believe.. but there's no option for that.

21. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you :)

Just a minute too late ;). Though you didn't describe or cite anything :(.

Yeah, sorry, just seeing why people do believe, not necessarily who believes or not.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks, but you were a few seconds or so too late, kind of like Big Ben's passes on Sunday. ;)

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the polls lacks the catholic "because it's tradition" choice

24. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I don't think anyone actually thinks that about themselves.

25. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

It's because we've been bitten in the butt so many times by people in this forum when we were just trying to civilly explain it. :eek:

I spent some time attempting somewhat of an explanation in this thread if you'd like to peruse it. This is one of my posts there. I think if you look through it you will also see why many of us choose to just not talk about it here.

However,
    As far as why I believe, I will take a minute to explain since you seem to be genuinely interested. :)

I was raised Christian by loving parents and grew up in church. I doubted God for a very long time though, having never had any evidence of His existence except for other peoples' testimony and of course, the Bible. I trusted my parents, both very intelligent people, though and continued to pursue God.

I now believe because of a personal relationship with God that is real. When I have problems or questions, I ask Him and He directs me. I do hear His instruction, even though I have fallen short of always paying attention. Because of my and my family's prayers and faith, my son and my mom were both miraculously healed of diseases that the doctors said would have killed them had there not been a miracle. My daughter's wrist was healed from arthritis in a split second 2 years ago and she has had no more pain or disfiguration since then. But that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as all of that goes. :)

I have read various books about evolution and fossil records as well as the biblical account of creation and scientists who have proven it to be true. This makes more sense to me than the explanation of us coming from absolutely nothing. I know that we can find someone "credible" somewhere to back up anything we choose to believe, so I choose to follow my heart and the voice of God that has never once let me down.

Anyway, basically I believe in the Christian God, who interacts with me everyday. That is why no one can convince me that He is not real. If you tell me that my Dad isn't real, then you are crazy, cause I just talked to him. Same thing with God. If you say that He is not real, that doesn't matter to me, because He's my best friend, and I know He is real. :)

This was just to answer your question. I have no intention of arguing my case, but I will attempt to answer questions about my personal experience and beliefs if they are presented respectfully.