What material do YOU want for the back of the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 12, 2012.

?

What material do you want on the back of the next iPhone

1. Glass (a la iPhone 4/4S)

31 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. Plastic (a la iPhone 3G/3GS)

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Aluminum (a la iPhone)

73 vote(s)
    59.8%
  4. Other, let us know below

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So the "new iPhone" is probably already pretty cemented on terms of design. We have been hearing rumors for a while suggesting aluminum backing, Recently a report believed it to have glass back. So my question to you is which would you prefer? Or do you want something else entirely?

There are a lot of factors to consider such as weight, durability, feel, flexibility, thermal conductivity, scratchability, texture, signal penetrability, etc.... So it's really not a simple decision.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am interested in seeing some of the ceramic backing that some competing smart phones are launching with. Supposedly it's supposed to be quite durable.

3. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I absolutely love HTC's style of using brushed aluminium on their phone backs. In fact, I've done the brushed aluminium mod to all of my iPods.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd like ceramic. Less chance of cracking and interfering with signal.

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Polycarbonate, like the 3g/3gs, but matte instead of glossy. It's reasonably impact-resistant, grippy and won't show fingerprints and scratches easily.

6. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Aluminum or metal of some sort because I really don't want anybody to be able to call me. :p

8. cynics macrumors G3

I'd be curious about a ceramic back or some sort of metal with a rubberized coating. Durable and grippy aka anything other then glass.

9. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Liquid metal, as it is supposed to be very durable. I believe having the outside edges act as the aerials means the rear surface is not important for a good signal.

I would like to see a polycarbonate unibody iPhone with the previous generation hardware as the low end model to bring costs down and open the phone to a wider market. This would replace just having the previous model as the low end model.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Until you touch it with your hand.

11. thefreeagent macrumors member

Glass, baby. Love it. The iPhone 4/4S is still the sleekest, sexiest, most tasteful lil slab of techno on the market, by far.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

A mercury back plate would probably be unhealthy.

14. richard371 macrumors 68000

15. lamboman macrumors 6502

The back of most of the HTC phones is anodised aluminium, like the iMacs, not brushed. Quite nice, very durable, but...almost a bit dull in comparison to the current glass of the iPhone. I can see why Apple did it; it does look a heck of a lot better than pretty much any other material. Toughnes...not a concern for me, but obviously it is an issue.

The aerials do use the side plastic strips, but the back of the phone is still something to be aware of with regards to signal. My CF back on my phone has definitely lowered the signal by quite a bit.

16. phillyred79 macrumors regular

Agreed.. I'm sure I will get the new iPhone 5, but a 5in screen to me is a little big.. The footprint and overall feel of the iPhone 4/4S is the perfect form-factor IMHO.

17. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Glass does make the phone look more fancy and have 'class' at the expense of.. Well.. Having two shatter-able glass sides. I've only dropped my iPhone two or three times in the nearing two years of ownership though so the chance of the glass shattering is lower.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm going to assume you meant to say "metal strips".

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Really? No one wants carbon fiber for the back of the iPhone? :confused:

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I voted at first for Other meaning ceramic, but I have to say that I totally enjoy grippy rubberized backs and cases. Done right, they feel luxurious, and of course they're a lot easier to handle.

The outside strip composes just part of the overall antenna design. The strip appears to be a clever ground plane for internal slot antennas. Transmission and reception still mostly take place internally, and thus require radio transparent front and back case pieces.

E.g. one of the two transmission hotspots in the FCC submission, emanates from the lower center:

sar_vz4s_1.png

21. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

It would be nice, although has perhaps been overlooked in this thread as it is not in the current arsenal of Apple materials. It as also not been a good material for mass production, but the use of CFRP in the upcoming BMW i3 and i8 models may mean the time has come for that to change.

----------

Totally agree on rubberised backs. Easy to grip, not cold on a cold day or hot on a warm day. I loved the texture of the back of my Sony Ericsson W880i.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Glass or aluminium is fine. Just not the horrible plastic that was used on the 3G/3GS.

Phazer

23. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I really like the ceramic idea. That'd be cool. I'm fine with glass though!

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Adamantium Alloy from Ganymede. Make it happen Apple or else I'll be soooo disappointed.