Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What measures will you take to protect yourself from iPhone X-inspired crimes?

• Hire a bodyguard or become friends with one

• Never take it out of pocket, ignore calls and texts from jealous wife and angry boss

• Always leave it at home inside a plastic container in the fridge with the label "not iPhone X"

• Only use in bed, under blankets, after midnight, after your deranged wife starts snoring

• Upon UPS delivery, leave the box unopened until your next-door neighbor gets one too, circa 2020

• Put it in a case mimicking Nokia 3310

• Chain it to your ear, arm, neck, foot, or other body organ

• Wear dirty smelly clothes pretending to be a bum who clearly does not, can not, and will not have X

• Become an iPhone apostate, convert to Androism

• Buy iPhone 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
It's no doubt that if you are lucky enough to get your hands on iPhone X this year, you will be a huge target on the streets of wild Wild West. The unlucky ones all around you will salivate with envy and desperation at the sight of your fairy-tale iPhone X. What measures will you take to protect yourself from iPhone X-inspired crimes?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's no doubt that if you are lucky enough to get your hands on iPhone X this year, you will be a huge target on the streets of wild Wild West. The unlucky ones all around you will salivate with envy and desperation at the sight of your fairy-tale iPhone X. What measures will you take to protect yourself from iPhone X-inspired crimes?

This seems a bit extreme. I understand it's a sought after phone, But what measures should anyone take when walking around with the iPhone X, even when using it in public after the launch. It's a commodity, not a rare piece of jewelry has a six figure price tag attached.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
This seems a bit extreme. I understand it's a sought after phone, But what measures should anyone take when walking around with the iPhone X, even when using it in public after the launch. It's a commodity, not a rare piece of jewelry has a six figure price tag attached.
They're also incredibly pointless to steal with Find My iPhone enabled on most of them. But criminals tend to be ignorant morons that probably don't even know what that is, so meh.

Reactions: 44267547

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
None of the above. My muscles will keep it safe.
[doublepost=1506354286][/doublepost]
The average person doesn't steal.

your muscles are bullet and knife proof?! :oops: Thieves usually have a weapon when attempting to rob someone.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Most people won't recognize it as the new iPhone since it won't have those huge bezels. For the record I just bought a new iPhone 8 and love it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Highly doubt anyone would notice you have the X unless you're flaunting it and bragging about it.

That's my thinking. These days, EVERYONE has a smartphone, and many (if not most, depending on your location) are iPhones. Unless you're flaunting it or someone is watching you very closely, they're unlikely to take notice.

Also, I generally don't hang out in sketchy places after dark, and I'm not huge, but I'm a well-muscled 30-something black man. There are easier targets.
[doublepost=1506359927][/doublepost]
your muscles are bullet and knife proof?! :oops: Thieves usually have a weapon when attempting to rob someone.

This is true, but most robbers will choose targets that present the least potential threat. I hate to say it, but there will be plenty of women, elderly, and kids/teens carrying these phones as well. They are far more likely targets that a strong looking man.

Reactions: SigEp265

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
They gonna need more than that. Thieves aren't usually counting on people telling them no either. They are hoping things don't get messy. The more chance for things to get messy the higher chance they will be caught and brought to justice.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
They gonna need more than that. Thieves aren't usually counting on people telling them no either. They are hoping things don't get messy. The more chance for things to get messy the higher chance they will be caught and brought to justice.

Reminds me of a story I read a while back...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05/08/oak-park-carjacking-man-dragged-from-car/

That one got messy. It's probably not worth getting killed trying to save personal property... but that's just me.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I carry a Glock 27 everywhere I go. There isn't a jury in the world that would convict me if they knew I was in fear of losing my iPhone X and shot someone full of lead. In fact, I'd expect congress to amend the stand your ground laws shortly to include "someone noticed you had an iPhone X".

So yeah. I'd shoot first and go on enjoying the phone. iPhones Matter. Duh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.