What method are you going to use to transfer your old iPhone stuff to your new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WizardHunt, Oct 10, 2011.

?

What method are you using to transfer your data?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2011.
  1. Using old or current iPhone Data to transfer

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. Doing a Fresh Install on the new iPhone 4s

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. Using some other method which I will explain in msg below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I am just curious how many of you are going to use the copy from back up (your old iPhone Backup) to your new iPhone 4s?

Or are you going to do a fresh install?

And if you do a fresh install and have say 700 apps how do you keep from adding all 700 apps to the new iPhone?

Are you using any other method not listed above?

2. 628 macrumors regular

I don't really care about my apps and stuff but for my photos and contacts I will just use the app "Bump"

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Why not just sync the old phone in iTunes and then when you get the new phone, sync it with the old phone's info?

4. email68 macrumors regular

Update current phone to IOS5 on Wed. Let it back up to the cloud.

Then restore the 4S on Friday from the cloud. Like it was meant to be :)

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Yes that should be the logical choice in most cases but i wanted to see where peoples heads are when doing this? Will they use iTunes and using their old back up which to me is easier but some prefer to do a new install so things are fresh.

I like to see what others are going to do in this case.

6. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

On more thing I wonder is someone does prefer Fresh Install, why over backed up data? Another words what is your reason for wanting to do a Fresh Install over the restore from iPhone Back up? Do you think the iPhone 4s will work better under a fresh install over a restore from backup?

7. Justim macrumors 6502

It's flash memory. Doubtful.

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

If i wanted to start from scratch I would have moved to Andriod, id this really a question? Are people actually going to not sync all their info from iTunes just because it's a 'new' phone...? :confused:

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I have way too many contacts and apps to do a fresh install and add that shiz manually.

iTunes backup/sync for me!

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I'll just set mine up as a new device in iTunes.

I'll check off a minimal set of Apps, arrange them in folders & the home screen.

My calendars, contacts, mail, documents, etc are already in the cloud - I'll just need to sign back on to a few services.

This fresh install approach lets me clear out my fairly crowded phone and focus on the handful of Apps that matter to me. As I identify things I miss, I can always add them over the air (via the "App Store: Purchased but not on this phone" list.)

I thought about just restoring from backup -- mostly to preserve game high scores and such, but really the more I thought about it, the less important those things were. I think I get more benefit from streamlining with a fresh start.

Oh, and it's not "starting from scratch." I mean, all of my meaningful data is moving across via iTunes/MobileMe/iCloud...