What mobile broadband card works with a macbook pro from sprint? Anyone use one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iansilv, Oct 16, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Hi- does anyone here us ea mobile broadband card from Sprint or Verizon? Which one fits in the macbook pro slot? I don't want to use the usb one because it sticks out too far. Any thoughts? Thank you.

2. pamon macrumors 6502

3. giantsfan1975 macrumors newbie

I have the Sierra Wireless 595U that works great! I had Verizon's Novatel Modem for a few days, but the design was horrible when compared to the 595U. (Verizon does have this card now, but they also give out records to the federal goverment without hessitation)

Put pressure on Sprint to match the AT&T version of the card. AT&T is giving there's away for free. :(

4. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that really the only one that works? I thought the card bus cards worked with macs as well.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't know if Sprint is still selling this one, the Novatel U720. It is USB card and I have never had a problem using it with my MBP with all curent updates. I bought it in February with a 2 year contract.

6. tstram macrumors newbie

I have used the Sierra Wireless V740 with no problem on my MBP.

7. EricM macrumors newbie

Not true. Look at the Full Feature list for the 597E Sierra - Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

9. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am leaning towards the u720- it seems to be the smallest one out there. Anybody else use it?

10. Type121 macrumors regular

The Macbook Pro doesn't have a CardBus slot. It's got an ExpressCard/34 slot.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As an update:

I had orginally purchased this card to use with my Windows notebooks and setup the software on the included CD with no problems. The card itself gets programmed with all the needed info so this makes it even more easier to get working on a Mac.

On the Mac, I simply plugged it into one of the USB ports and brought up the internet connect app. My card showed up in there and since the card was already programmed from my Windows machines, all I had to do was hit connect and I was on the internet. Yes it was that simple. I am still using Tiger on my MBP with all the updates.

12. sportsnut macrumors regular

I have been using it since June but sprint discontinued it. It rocks!!!!!!!

The best one for macs now is the Franklin CDU680, nope its not on the site and is not in most sprint stores but if you call the 800# and ask they will hook you up.

Ooops, just noticed that you are worried about it sticking out to much.

The usb modems can be used with any computer with a usb slot. It also works well with some portable routers.

13. adamzx3 macrumors regular

adamzx3

thought I would add I just got the Sierra 875U aircard from AT&T, I tried the sprint but even in the mall with good at&t reception I was getting 40 KB/S download on their laptop. I get 180-230 KB/S with 1 bar of 3G service on the AT&T..can't wait to get the external antenna. Latency is pretty low as well, 200 vs 1100-2000 on hughesnet satellite :)

14. vestokes@mac.co macrumors newbie

vestokes@mac.co

I have the Novatel U720 also but hate that it blocks the other USB port on my MBP and it also can't be used in the 3rd port on the right side because it blocks the laptop security lock. I imagine the Sierra USB card will do the same. I ordered the Sierra and will pass the U720 over to my sister who now owns my old Macbook 13". I'd like a card that will allow me to use the PC card port instead.

15. sportsnut macrumors regular

The Sierra USB is fatter than the U720 :(

Didn't you get a USB extension cable with your U720?

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That cable is not an extension although it can be used as that. If you notice, the cable has two USB connectors on one end. This is for some computers that may put out low power. In this case, you would use two USB ports on the computer to power the U720. That is the cables main purpose.

17. sportsnut macrumors regular

I was not talking about the Y cable that came with the early U720's

I was talking about the USB extender that was included with the U720 from Sprint. I have been running the USB with extension on 2 macs and 2 windows machines since June 2007.