What model is my iPhone 5, GSM or CDMA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snerkler, Jun 16, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

My iphone is model number A1429 and according to this site my phone is GSM & CDMA.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3939

However, some people say that it's only CDMA if on Verizon and Sprint. I bought my phone in the UK so is it GSM or GSM & CDMA? If CDMA is only verizon and Sprint why does it not say this on the Apple site, and why is there not a similar page on the UK site for UK users?

What would happen if I installed the wrong software/ipsw file?

TIA

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you got it in the UK then its a GSM only iphone.
    You wont be able to activate it on any CDMA networks.
    And you cant install the wrong firmware/ipsw on it. Even if you tried you will just get an error and iTunes wont let the install go on.

3. iphone46 macrumors regular

It's technically both. However, if you're network doesn't use/support CDMA then it will use GSM only and vice versa.

4. snerkler, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strange, I've just installed the GSM & CDMA ipsw and it's working just fine. I wonder if the GSM vs CDMA is outdated as the options are now GSM or GSM & CDMA?

The reason I went for the GSM and CDMA is because I found that on the UK website tech specs it says that the 1429 is CDMA and GSM.

[​IMG]

Very confusing. I wonder if GSM only would also work on my phone?

Looking at the list of ipsw's here it would appear that past ipsw's were either GSM or CDMA, whereas since the iphone 5 it's been either GSM or GSM & CDMA. I wonder why they have a GSM ipsw on it's own if the other option is both? I guess it's to do with the US networks not allowing you to swap phones?

I assume that if my ipsw has installed and my phone is working OK then I should be OK?

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks :)