What Monitor Should I Get To Dual-Monitor with My White iMac 24"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ckboddic, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ckboddic macrumors newbie

Question stated in the post title. I have a 24" and need to get another monitor. For whatever reason, Apple decided to make there display 23" instead of 24" so I'm less tempted to get that, but still considering it. Is it possible to rotate the 23" display and make it vertical instead of horizontal?

I was wanting the 30" to go beside it but have been informed that the Apple 30" is not compatible with the iMac. Is there any workaround with this? If not, is there ANY 30" that would work for me?

If I was to get a non-Apple 24" monitor, would it be even planed with my iMac 24"? Would it be the same height and everything? Preferably, I'd like one with similar height/size.

Is there anything else I would need to purchase in order to have dual monitors? Exactly what cord would I need? Anything else?

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP paired with my MBP and i'm very satisfied with it. Very adjustable in tilt, height, and rotation. Comes with a TON of inputs and is very big. :cool: Look into those.

3. Flobber88 macrumors regular

Im guessing your screen resolution is 1920x1200? Most 23 - 24'' display are that resolution, so if you were to get a 24'' monitor, it should be even with your imac.

I would get a 24'' monitor, specifically the Dell Ultrasharp 2408wfp (they have a cheaper 24'' if you have a tight budget) and you can adjust it vertically so it can match your iMac's height perfectly.

It looks like your iMac has mini-dvi (like the macbooks have?) so you'll need to use a mini dvi to DVI cable (unless it came with one) to hook it up to the display.

4. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, the ACD cannot rotate, adjust its height, and doesn't have a lot of inputs. If you get the Dell Ultrasharp 24" (which seems to be highly regarded on these forums) then you'll have the ability to adjust height (to make it exactly the same height as your iMac), multiple inputs (if you want to use it with multiple sources), you can rotate it, you'll have the exact same size monitor, and you have saved several hundred dollars for what people claim is the same display. It's your choice.

5. ckboddic thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, I'm definitely interested in the Dell, then. Before I get it, are there any 30" monitors that are compatible with a 24" white iMac? I'd definitely rather have a 30" monitor (or bigger) if it's of good quality and compatible.

Thanks for the replies!!