what monitor to buy for a G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flyinhigh, Jul 31, 2008.

1. flyinhigh macrumors member

A friend is giving me her Mac G4 tower, without monitor to setup at home to run a version of protools for sound editing. I have no knowlege on monitor compatibility, want to buy a flat screen monitor for reasons of desk space.
    (I also run an emac at home for domestic use). Will any monitor be compatible wit the G4? Is the flat screen idea possible. Knowledge needed, please and thanks.:)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are connecting via VGA (small Trapazoid shaped connector) nearly any screen will work just fine. If it is DVI, you may need an adapter if the Mac only supports VGA and ADC (you'll need an ADC to DVI adapter). The only limit might be the maximum resolution that the video card can support, which should be listed on the site Everymac.com.

TEG

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Do you know the specs of the G4 you're getting? (ie, processor speed, number of processors, graphics card model)

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Probably any monitor would work, and depending on the graphics card, you'll just need to get an adapter from Apple for it to work.

I believe that the studio monitors are what Apple made before the cinema displays. They have those in flat panel versions, and they are almost guaranteed to work since they were made during the same time the G4 was.

BTW, the G4 are wonderful machines. Very reliable, too... like tanks. Your lucking your getting it for free.

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

The LCD versions of the studio monitors are great. I loved that easel style design. They were out at the same time as the g4, and compliment in color and style. Enjoy.

6. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

thanks

thanks for the advice and support, appreciated.

7. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

applemugstore.com has 17" for $65 and 22" for $235. Just happened to see those and think of this thread. Good luck buddy.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

youll need an expensive adapter if its ADC. Or look for one of the old cinema displays with the clear plastic casing.

9. flyinhigh thread starter macrumors member

got one

Got a 19" Acer at a v good price. G4 has moved in and everything is goin fine.