Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
My black Pro Mouse is still working and going fine, but I am really starting to feel the need for two buttons and a scroll wheel. I wish Apple made one to buy, but until then...

What is the best mouse for the Mac? I want...

Two buttons - more's okay, but all I need is contextual menus

Scroll wheel - really need

Optical - I'm optical now, why go back?

Cordless - optional, but won't spend lots and lots for it

Right now, I'm thinking the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for AU$99. The man at Harvey Norman said it only had half the battery life of the M$ Wireless Explorer, but I don't want to spend $170 on a mouse.

And can anyone justify for me the $50 difference between the Logitech Cordless Optical and the Cordless Mouseman?

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I purchased the Logitech optical cordless mouse for a friend and he seems to like it. It does not eat up batteries like I thought it might. It does not have a huge range, maybe six feet. Pretty good for most users.

I am thinking about the new studio cordless mouse. It is optical and has the touch wheel, and what I like most, the charger station.

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced on the Cordless Optical - I think that HN guy was an M$ employee anyway - sounded like an annoying know-it-all.

How do M$ mice stand up to comparable Logitech mice?

Also, to get the conversation started -

Should Apple make a two button scroll mouse?

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Wireless MS Intellimouse Explorer:
DON'T GET IT! It lags so darn bad that it will drive you crazy.

MS Wireless Optical Mouse:
Acceptable. About a day of getting used to and then it is fine.

Logitech MX700:
The only true replacement for a high quality corded mouse. If you do a lot of work in Photoshop and need accuracy or do a lot of computer gaming, this is the mouse for you. It is more expensive, but the performance you get out of it is well worth the price increase.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I don't know about wireless mice as I have yet to even use one, but I used to use an IBM optical mouse until I got my tablet. Don't really know what the model is called since it doesnt say anywhere on it or on the box, but it was great. It's blue and black and has a 30 degree tilt which is good for the wrist.

I also use logitech a lot at work, very nice performance.

I say go with Logitech as they work and feel better then the m$ mice at work.

Just my 2cents

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Two optical mice

I have purchased the Kensington MouseInABox Optical USB/PS2 and I have the new Microsoft OpticalMouse Blue (not wireless, not Bluetooth).

The Kensington I use at home and works great. The Microsoft one I use at work with my PC and it also works great. The wheel on the Microsoft mouse feels a little 'cheap', but one of its features is that you window scrolling is accelerated when the wheel is spun quickly and I'll have to agree. Both are very light, much lighter than a mouse with a ball. And both are very inexpensive. You can find them both for less that US$25 each.

With both of the mice so light, it is hard to tell that they are tethered to the computer. I'm not sure what benefit a wireless mouse will get you, but then I've never used one.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Two optical mice

Originally posted by bbarnhart

With both of the mice so light, it is hard to tell that they are tethered to the computer. I'm not sure what benefit a wireless mouse will get you, but then I've never used one.

Cords sometimes hang on things and also can get in the way. I wish now that I had gotten the StudioMouse wireless.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
As someone who uses the Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical, I can say that I love it. I've had mine for over a year and it's still going strong. And having no wires is something that isn't important until you get used to it. Then when you go back to a wired mouse, it's annoying.

Batteries get changed every 2-3 months (depending on how much I'm gaming).

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Logitech baby!

I have the Logitech Mx500, and it is really awesome. Even though it's corded (I thought the cordless was a bit too expensive) the feel of it is great, plus the buttons are very handy. Can't recommend it enough.;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My requirements are:
* USB, corded, optical, full size
* two buttons
* scrollwheel
* scrollwheel is also a button and is programmable

My current mouse, a Logitech MX300, meets all but the last requirement. I use a PowerMate that is programmable, but I want a mouse that does it all so I won't need two devices.

What mice match my specs?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I've always preferred Kensington mice, they are the most Mac-like of any mice. The StudioMouse is the best mouse I have ever seen, I just wish I had one (I don't buy most of the stuff for our computer, my Dad does). And the wireless one would just be even better.

JW

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by Doctor Q

What mice match my specs?

The solution for you would be a MS Optical Blue.

2 Buttons, Corded, Programmable Scroll Wheel (Scroll Wheel click can be programmed to do anything you want)

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/omb_info.asp

--------

A little cheaper with basically the same features is the WheelMouse Optical

Same features as mouse above.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/wmo_info.asp

--------

If 4 buttons are acceptable, the IntelliMouse Explorer and IntelliMouse Optical

These have the same features as the first two mice, but have the extra 2 side buttons.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/ie_info.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/wmo_info.asp

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The person who said the Intellimouse Explorer Wireless lags? I have no idea what your talking about, there must be some issues with your drivers...the microsoft ones are decent...and USB overdrive kick ass....mine doesnt lag in the slightest....

I suggest the Wireless INtellimouse Exporer...it fits your hand perfect and its very solid feeling.

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
I read about the Kensington StudioMouse in MacAddict (still waiting for the Jan issue to arrive in Australia :mad: ). Looks alright, but they didn't like the trackpad-style scroll. They said it was too jumpy.

I'm still torn between the Logitech Cordless Optical (not the Mouseman - another $50 for a button I won't use and ergonomics that probably won't fit my hand) and the Intellimouse Wireless (not the Explorer - $ 180 bit too much).

And Apple mouses - what'd you think? Optional two button scroll on PowerMacs, stick to one button on iMacs?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by sluthy
And Apple mouses - what'd you think? Optional two button scroll on PowerMacs, stick to one button on iMacs?
Apple may not want to venture into the already populated two-button mouse business unless they can make us all say "Wow!". So they need to think outside the box, and we do too if we want to outguess them.

What could Apple do to make a new mouse that would be the talk of the town? How 'bout the idea we've been talking about the last month: a mouse whose color is under computer control? Without a gimmick like that, Apple may not bother to change their mice.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
The person who said the Intellimouse Explorer Wireless lags? I have no idea what your talking about, there must be some issues with your drivers...the microsoft ones are decent...and USB overdrive kick ass....mine doesnt lag in the slightest....

I suggest the Wireless INtellimouse Exporer...it fits your hand perfect and its very solid feeling.

The mouse did have a nice feeling for the hand, but coming from a wired MS IntelliMouse Explorer, there was a very noticeable lag between movement of the mouse and movement on the screen. This is a known problem with all but the "Fast RF" wireless mice.

The amount of lag among wireless mice differs from mouse to mouse. To you, it may not be a problem, but to many it is.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I read about the Kensington StudioMouse in MacAddict (still waiting for the Jan issue to arrive in Australia :mad: ). Looks alright, but they didn't like the trackpad-style scroll. They said it was too jumpy.

I don't find it jumpy at all once you set the scroll speed to your liking. One nice thing about the scroll wheel is you don't have to keep wheeling and wheeling for a really long page. You can simply touch the top or bottom of the scroll pad and it will start scrolling in either direction. For more precise movement you can drag your finger over the pad or even simply roll your finger over it. The pad is most similar to the touch wheel now found on the 10 and 20GB iPods.

The StudioMouse also has 3 buttons. One on either side of the scroll pad and one just below it. The Kensington MouseWorks software allows you to program any of the three buttons to do what ever you like and even to do complex commands and keystroke combinations

sluthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2002
I also don't know anyone in my town who sells any Kensington stuff. Do any Aussies know where to but the Studio Mouse, or where to demo one?

Also, I'm looking for budget printers, to replace my f**king BJC3000. I was looking at some Canons like the S520, but then the price of the HP psc750 printer/scanner dropped to AU$300. This sounds bloody good value - can anyone comment on the quality of it?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I also don't know anyone in my town who sells any Kensington stuff. Do any Aussies know where to but the Studio Mouse, or where to demo one?

Also, I'm looking for budget printers, to replace my f**king BJC3000. I was looking at some Canons like the S520, but then the price of the HP psc750 printer/scanner dropped to AU$300. This sounds bloody good value - can anyone comment on the quality of it?

In my oppinion HP builds the best printers right now. It's not just there print quality but it's there durability also. I have been involved int hreads in the past where we were talking about printers and people were constantly saying ther epson or canon or other brand would only last a year or so and then give up. Well everyone who had an HP had never had that problem. Personally I've had my HP970CXI since they released it a little over 3 years ago with lots and lots of printing and never a failure.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I have the HP psc750. SO far its GREAT. I am so happy with it. Had it about 3 weeks now and it was really easy to setup and is great quality.

I have gone through 3 epsons personally, and seen a bunch crap out on otehrs.

I'd recommend the hp

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
everytime i see one of these threads it makes me want to upgrade from my apple pro mouse.

i just wish there was a good bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo.

as i understand it MS offers one but it hasn't been reviewed well.

anyone know of others?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
the new hot ticket

A buddy of mine works for MS, he got me a BlueTooth Keybord with BlueTooth mouse... that is a hot set up. Its probably really expensive. I didnt pay for it :) I dont know if it will work with a Mac or not... probably not. I use it with my Dell Laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.