Spoilers What Movie Are You Watching?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Michael Clayton [2007]

This is one of those movies that George Clooney did not see enough recognition And in most cases, was never even heard of.

It did get a ton of Academy noms, though the only win was Tilda Swinton (supporting actress). Great movie regardless, I've got The Perfect Storm on deck (after a podcast about Top N nautical movies), another great Clooney film (and another solid Walburg collaboration).

Comment

pachyderm

macrumors 604
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Good film. Not great. I enjoyed it greatly.

1590010723570.png

This was much better than I thought it'd be. Good for a few chuckles for me.
I cannot explain it but I love David Spade.

1590010764654.png

- - Post merged: - -

Really? wow, really not the best one to watch... that weekend was awful, I even remember Ratzenberger's death (now vastly overshadowed by Senna's death).
We very nearly lost Reubens as well...

Comment

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Knight and Day (2010)- 49% RTAS, sigh, another movie I’m in the minority for, that I consider to be one of Tom Cruise’s best performances in this tongue’n cheek spy thriller. In some ways it reminds me of True Lies and that’s why it works. It does not take itself seriously. He and Cameron Diaz have excellent chemistry.

83D6DE72-DA5F-4B25-BE4D-2E93165D14A0.jpeg

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Knight and Day (2010)- 49% RTAS, sigh, another movie I’m in the minority for, that I consider to be one of Tom Cruise’s best performances in this tongue’n cheek spy thriller. In some ways it reminds me of True Lies and that’s why it works. It does not take itself seriously. He and Cameron Diaz have excellent chemistry.

This one didn’t work for me. The dialogue was terrible. It kind of makes me think of ‘Mission impossible‘, except with a failed plot and overall bad acting from Diaz. It wasn’t one of Tom Cruise‘s finest ‘action’ films, but I don’t necessarily blame him, as he’s fairly consistent with his acting, and personally, I thought Cameron Diaz was terrible In this movie, Which I really don’t think she’s that talented of an actress [But she was superb villain in ‘The Counselor], Which is why I think this movie kind of bombed.

Have you ever watched ‘Jack Reacher‘ with Cruise?

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
This one didn’t work for me. The dialogue was terrible. It kind of makes me think of ‘Mission impossible‘, except with a failed plot and overall bad acting from Diaz. It wasn’t one of Tom Cruise‘s finest ‘action’ films, but I don’t necessarily blame him, as he’s fairly consistent with his acting, and personally, I thought Cameron Diaz was terrible In this movie, Which I really don’t think she’s that talented of an actress [But she was superb villain in ‘The Counselor], Which is why I think this movie kind of bombed.

Second that. Jack reacher is solid

Reactions: Relentless Power
Comment

Matz

Contributor
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
The Expendables. Watched the first one a couple of months back, and last night watched Expendables 2. I purchased a set of all three in BluRay, thinking what the heck, they're cheap, and I like that sort of movie once in awhile. Worst case, I'll donate them when such places open back up again.

So I was surprised to find them to be pretty entertaining. An oft tongue in cheek, yet satisfyingly violent action movie trilogy, with a decent cast of aging stars that don't take themselves too seriously. Fun stuff.

1590057987066.png

Comment

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
The Expendables. Watched the first one a couple of months back, and last night watched Expendables 2. I purchased a set of all three in BluRay, thinking what the heck, they're cheap, and I like that sort of movie once in awhile. Worst case, I'll donate them when such places open back up again.

So I was surprised to find them to be pretty entertaining. An oft tongue in cheek, yet satisfyingly violent action movie trilogy, with a decent cast of aging stars that don't take themselves too seriously. Fun stuff.

View attachment 917296
Agree. It’s for a quick action fix.

Comment

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Interesting, we have a divergent opinion on a movie. ;) Based on the audience score, this is expected, and accepted. :)

And although it was Tom Cruise style of action, it was not a serious movie and based on that, there is a lot of flexibility in what I can accept. The precisely same issue, I’ve had with all the Mission Impossibles (excluding the original, giving the helicopter in the tunnel scene a pass ;)), was the over the top action portrayed seriously, like it could really be done.

There are some stunts and sequences in Knight and Day which would be unbelievable or at a minimum, hard to swallow, if it was a serious plot, but it’s not, it’s tongue in cheek and therefore can be judged on it’s style and atmosphere. I love the music. Frankly though, I don’t understand why Diaz was terrible and how it can be described as a failed plot, but willing to accept this difference of opinion and move on. 😁

I know of Jack Reacher, but don’t remember if I saw it. Was it a serious movie?

Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yes, serious, but has a few funny moments, about a former Army LE brought into a civilian criminal case that involves the military, pretty by the numbers crime thriller, Cruise is fine it, but lots of folks were not happy given how the character is portrayed in the Lee Child books. It's fine, probably a high C+.

Reactions: Huntn
Comment

pachyderm

macrumors 604
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I love that film.

• Love
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Is this a serious question? (Sorry, I had to do it.😁)

If you like Knight and Day, then you would like Jack reacher. Tom Cruise has a striking resemblance in terms of how he portrays himself in all his action movies.There is actually a sequel to this movie, but not nearly as good as the original.

If You get a chance to watch it, let me know what you think. And it also has an appearance from the great Robert Duvall (Who probably is more from your time frame.)

Comment

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is this a serious question? (Sorry, I had to do it.😁)

If you like Knight and Day, then you would like Jack reacher. Tom Cruise has a striking resemblance in terms of how he portrays himself in all his action movies.There is actually a sequel to this movie, but not nearly as good as the original.

If You get a chance to watch it, let me know what you think. And it also has an appearance from the great Robert Duvall (Who probably is more from your time frame.)
Tom Cruise is very much from my time frame, Risky Business. :)

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

View attachment 917492

Fantastic. One of our favorites (big fans of Steve Martin in general), just perfectly written, casted, it's a super fun, tricky plot, with amazing comedic bits, great physical comedy, so good.

Hahaha, it's a common quote source for us too, particularly, all things Ruprecht. :D

We saw the musical on Broadway in '05, with John Lithgow, it was a ton of fun too, got his signature on the playbill :)

Comment

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fantastic. One of our favorites (big fans of Steve Martin in general), just perfectly written, casted, it's a super fun, tricky plot, with amazing comedic bits, great physical comedy, so good.

Hahaha, it's a common quote source for us too, particularly, all things Ruprecht. :D

We saw the musical on Broadway in '05, with John Lithgow, it was a ton of fun too, got his signature on the playbill :)
I fantasize about owning that house. :)

Comment