What network is my iPhone 3GS locked to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucasG, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

A while ago I purchased an used iPhone 3GS, I was aware it was locked to some network but at that time the US wasn't selling unlocked phones so decided to get it anyways and I currently run it unlocked with ultrasn0w, the thing is it's not the same experience. You do experience more problems than usual on a unlocked phone as so much hacking has to go in it.

With the new official unlock services flying around, I was hoping I could see where it is locked to as it might actually be one of the unlockable networks, but who knows, it is probably AT&T and there is no solution to that, I'd still like to know where it is locked at.

Any ideas on how to do this without restoring the phone and stuff?

2. jTeeh macrumors newbie

where did you get the iphone from?
    If it's in the US, I think AT&T was the only carrier of 3GS.
    You can also try to downgrade the iOS and try to unlock it again

3. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

I don't know, I bought it in Costa Rica (which is where I live), I never asked where it was locked too, I had pretty much assumed it would be impossible to ever do it.

4. jTeeh macrumors newbie

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

Try this guide. As I said earlier you need to downgrade the iOS to 4.x.x in order to jailbreak untethered, which is required to do the above steps.
    I don't see why restoring / resetting the phone would be an issue for you. You can always back it up before doing anything.

5. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

I already have it unlocked, I know how to unlock it, not looking for tutorials on how to do so, I'm interested in finding out to which carrier is the phone locked.