Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
I will keep it simple, as none of these are really needed but will help make you more productive and give easier navigation to the desktop.
1. OS9 style window shade double click in sys prefs.
2. tear off minime dock appswitcher of open apps OS9 style
3. shaded areas on the side of open windows and bottom
that will allow you to grab and move windows there
instead of top only.
4. a version of http://www.codetek.com virtual desltop to allow you
to have multple screens open with diff apps in each.
this will make small screen owners happy and dual monitor users more productive. download and try
you will never go back
5. choce of 3 interfaces, simplified for most speed, aqua, and extrem aqua for dual and 970 owners with more animations and graphic highlights.
6. new code to make it easier for developers to add altivec optimizations, dual cpu support and multi threading in thier apps
7. add more sherlock channels and faster browsing
8.video and voice chat for games and apps
9. add apple's version of widgets http://www.konfabulator.com/ too cool
10. a price of no more then $49 for ( Jag owners) $99 full retail. I own 10-10.1-10.2. if 10.3 is $129 that will be almost $400 in 3 years on just the OS (no apps), no wonder so many people still use OS9
there you have it what's yours

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by yzedf
FTP that atually works right...?

Yes! Make it faster, and for God's sake, more stable.

Oh, and uh, iChat 2 with video, Mail 2, and a couple of new Apps we don't know about yet that can help justify another $129 price tag. And for the record, I'm still not seeing this whole Piles thing. :confused:

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Fast UI
Much improved Quartz Extreme
SIMPLE multi-session burning built into finder
Faster boot-up
Windowshade
Faster mouse preference

and, most importantly for me:

STREAMLINED/INTEGRATED UPDATES (Windows users will know what I mean)

AppleMatt

edit: Also like things such as maintenance routines, fsck etc to be a lot simpler for 'novice' users, I can't add up the amount of time I've spent explaining these. Oh and bringing about of world peace (someone had to say it)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You know, most people are so focused on the 970, we've barely talked about 10.3.

Just goes to show you how happy people are with 10.2, but unhappy with the G4. If it is $129 for upgraders, even from 10.2 (which, lets hope it's not), it better have more than just eye candy and 64-but compatibility. Most people would still stick with 10.2 (or 9), unless the new software becomes 10.3 only. Even then probably.

Here's hoping it's only $20 (or free) for users of 10.2.

phenolot

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2003
You know about "roll bars"?

You know about "Roll bars"?

The NBT after the well known scroll bars...

I have a short QT movie, but I do not know if it's fake (I must not publish it anyway). It shows something that could come with Panther. Let me describe:

Instead of the vertical scrollbars (or additionally?) you have horizontal bars attached to a window. In my screenshot they look pretty much like the aqua "helical" progress-meter, however with an additional orange-ish glow. In contrast to scrollbars, they are not at the side of the window, they are placable anywhere over the window content. When they are active (glowing), the mouse cannot cross them, instead, the mouse pointer is animated to be "wrapped around" the bar. At the same time, the window content is moved in the opposite direction!

Just imagin the ease of use! Whenever you want to move to a point in the document outside the currently viewable part, you move the mouse just in the correct direction and just by the correct distance and you will be there!

I deeply wish this is not just a fake!

Re: You know about "roll bars"?

Originally posted by phenolot
You know about "Roll bars"?

The NBT after the well known scroll bars...

I have a short QT movie, but I do not know if it's fake (I must not publish it anyway). It shows something that could come with Panther. Let me describe:

Instead of the vertical scrollbars (or additionally?) you have horizontal bars attached to a window. In my screenshot they look pretty much like the aqua "helical" progress-meter, however with an additional orange-ish glow. In contrast to scrollbars, they are not at the side of the window, they are placable anywhere over the window content. When they are active (glowing), the mouse cannot cross them, instead, the mouse pointer is animated to be "wrapped around" the bar. At the same time, the window content is moved in the opposite direction!

Just imagin the ease of use! Whenever you want to move to a point in the document outside the currently viewable part, you move the mouse just in the correct direction and just by the correct distance and you will be there!

I deeply wish this is not just a fake!
i would really love to see this movie

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
I'd like to see the Mail app completely rebuilt because it sucks so bad right now. I'd like to see a GUI preference pane with a few themes to choose from, I hate Aqua! And it's so slow. I could even deal with 100% metal. I think all the iApps should be metal, as well as all the Apple software, even AppleWorks, etc. Everything.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Multiple user logins that don't require me to quit my open apps when I logout. As long as we have that after a shutdown or restart I want my desktop windows apps everything to come up exactly as they were when I shutdown. I don't care if it means it takes longer to startup.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
how does mail suck exactly?

just curious why you hate it so much

I have LOTS of trouble with mail and my .Mac account all the time. And from what I've seen over at the Apple boards, lots of others are having the same problems. Atleast once a day Mail decides it doesn't know my password anymore and asks me for it infinitely until I just give up and choose "Send Later". Also, if I bring my PowerBook over to my girlfriend's house Mail won't retrieve or send anything via dial-up. My friends will get returned messages saying that they are blocked from my account when they aren't, no one is. Mail likes to spontaneously create new mailboxes, and sub mail boxes out of the blue. And everytime I open Mail it has created a new Trash folder inside my regular one for no reason. Plus lots of other little annoyances. I've had all these problems since Jaguar and the problems span 3 different machines so I'm pretty confident it's a case of crappy software. Anyway...deep breath.:)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by tjwett
I have LOTS of trouble with mail and my .Mac account all the time. And from what I've seen over at the Apple boards, lots of others are having the same problems. Atleast once a day Mail decides it doesn't know my password anymore and asks me for it infinitely until I just give up and choose "Send Later". Also, if I bring my PowerBook over to my girlfriend's house Mail won't retrieve or send anything via dial-up. My friends will get returned messages saying that they are blocked from my account when they aren't, no one is. Mail likes to spontaneously create new mailboxes, and sub mail boxes out of the blue. And everytime I open Mail it has created a new Trash folder inside my regular one for no reason. Plus lots of other little annoyances. I've had all these problems since Jaguar and the problems span 3 different machines so I'm pretty confident it's a case of crappy software. Anyway...deep breath.:)

Wow that is a series of problems. The folders within the trash folders are not errors though it is supposed to create subfolders for each account under each main folder including the trash. Also each account will have it's own subfolder. For me that means .Mac and my other two email addresses all have their own sub-mail boxes. You don't have to look at them if you don't want to just hit the little triangle on the main folder and close the set. Also the .Mac issue has nothing to do with mail it has to do with .Mac servers going down for maintenance or otherwise. Next time it doesn't connect go to .Mac Support and on their main page it will have an explanation saying that their is some problem and that their are a few people that can't get so and so. As for connecting on your friends modems I don't know what the issue is their it's most likely setting though probably at the system level.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by MacBandit
Multiple user logins that don't require me to quit my open apps when I logout. As long as we have that after a shutdown or restart I want my desktop windows apps everything to come up exactly as they were when I shutdown. I don't care if it means it takes longer to startup.

This is not really mutliple user login as you are logging out. The Unix/Linux graphical enviroment term for this is Session memory. KDE for example rembers all the apps you have open, where they are the documents you have open when you logout. When you log back in it starts them all up as they were.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Originally posted by yzedf
FTP that atually works right...?

At least I'm not the only one that doesn't have this problem.

And I like Mail.app. It's not as bloated as Outlook on a PC.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
First off if there are features you want in 10.3, be sure to submit them here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback , otherwise they won't be considered.

Secondly here's what I'd like to see:

1. Find File in all open save dialog boxes

2. Classic have full hardware compatibility that it has when booting into Mac OS 9.

3. Go menu's Connect To server allow me to connect to any Linux FTP server over the web I have authentication with. Presently many I connect to treat the server as write-protected on all folders

4. iChat be compatible with Yahoo, MSN, and IRC chatrooms and instant messanging, and their video and voice protocols as well as offline messanging

5. Built-in voice over IP telephony with internet to telephone connectivity allowing me to place free long distance phone calls. Would be a great addition to .Mac!

6. Discount for purchasing .Mac when purchasing Panther, or discount for being a .Mac member when purchasing Panther.

7. Ability to turn Quartz Rendering off.

8. Mail have an attachments folder in the Finder in case attachments are encoded in a way that Mail doesn't understand and lets you use other programs to decode attachments.

9. Keep the preview's Open Save dialog box's multiple view options! That's great. Make sure that you have options to add columns list views in Open/Save dialog boxes.

10. Finder should become a transparent part of Open/Save dialog boxes. In other words make the Finder non-existent, and only access it from Open/Save dialog boxes.

11. Keep the ability to create keyboard shortcuts like the preview is showing.

12. Built-in sound recording to MP3 capabilities.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i'd like the dock to be revamped a bit... mainly just letting spring loaded folders work with it (dragging a file onto a short cut for a home directory, for example, would simply open the contextual menu and let you navigate the sub folders)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.