What new features would you want on next weeks possible iMac refresh? Not want?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by batmangorden, Oct 18, 2012.

1. batmangorden macrumors member

batmangorden

Definitely lighter weight, the 27" are freaking HEAVY, I'm only saying this out of personal preference, it would be a lot easier to move around the room and especially when I want to pick it up to dust/clean my desk area.

If they were to make it much lighter, hopefully it would involve making it slightly thinner too while their at it. Make it look even more aesthetically pleasing.

I'm fine with them taking out the DVD drive, I think everyone wouldn't mind that cause it would give people the option to get their own, there is also the separate drive they have for sale on the store. Also one of the last moving parts to take out and mostly ensure you don't have to open it up in 2 years from the DVD drive failing or something.

Would hope to keep the option to upgrade to higher ram, I think it would be smart to leave it the same as the current iMacs easy swap out ram.

Hopefully since the SSD prices have gone down dramatically they will put in a nice size SSD standard.

Screen, no need in my opinion to upgrade the resolution, the 27"s still have one of the sharpest resolutions for its size.

That's all I could come up with right now.:cool:

I apologize if anyone has made a tread like this already, I looked through a few pages but didn't find anything too similar.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Standard dual SSD/HDD combo.

No reason why an SSD can't be standard at this point.

3. mihai.ile macrumors member

There is no thread like this but if you take a look on the most recent threads everyone talks about this same thing.

For me having an iMac less heavy/more slim just because you want to move it from time to time is ridiculous, I think 90% of the people here would prefer heavier and better specifications. It's not that you are going to the sofa with the iMac....

4. batmangorden thread starter macrumors member

batmangorden

I understand your opinion and honestly it wouldn't bother me that much if they did hardly change the weight, I was just saying out of my own personal preferences.

And I know I'm not going to take it to the the couch(lol) but I'm sure their is a few people just like me who would welcome the idea of less weight to make cleaning easier.

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Want: better CPU and GPU offerings, cheaper SSD options

Don't want: Retina, soldered on RAM, rMBP on a stick.

6. batmangorden thread starter macrumors member

batmangorden

Here's a thought....somehow having a built in Apple TV menu, then me and my wife could watch Netflix in bed with the apple remote and not have to get up to change an episode or movie.. (We use our 27" as our tv in our bedroom.)

I'll bet their is ALOT of people that use it as a tv in their bedroom.

7. joenj07087 macrumors member

I would like a bigger display, 30" if possible, that is about it...oh and keep the DVD drive, I find it useful...: )

8. batmangorden thread starter macrumors member

batmangorden

They could do that if they wanted to and still keep the same size of the entire iMac. They would just make the black border around the screen thinner. Man that be nice!

9. vladfein macrumors regular

I think 90% of the people here think that the other 90% are wrong :)

10. ffohwx macrumors member

In other words, bring back a slightly revamped Front Row. I kinda miss Front Row too.

11. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

90% of the people here account for less than 1% of sales.

90% of real-world people would want thinner and thinner.

12. HuckFoly macrumors newbie

Tv tuner

I would like to see them include an over air tv tuner with a coax port to attach an intenna. Maybe even include a clear-qam tuner as well.

13. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I hope the firewire port is kept, I don't want to be forced to give up maybe the only thunderbolt port for the FW adapter.

14. jgbiggs macrumors newbie

The ability to service/replace the HDD/SSD.
    I am 50/50 on the removal of the ODD.
    Keep the firewire.
    Keep the ability to add RAM.
    SSD standard would be nice.
    Retina display not needed.
    More powerful GPU would be great.
    Form factor doesn't need to be changed. A slimmer iMac is not a selling point for me. Especially if it impacts the cooling of the machine.

15. batmangorden thread starter macrumors member

batmangorden

Another feature I thought of would be to address the issue of the ports on the back of the machine. Don't get me wrong, they are perfect where they are at. I like how all my wires are hidden and it just makes my desktop(physical) look clean.

The problem I have personally is the aluminum.......every time I try to plug in a usb or headphones the tips of them make a very not so nice feeling when I'm trying to plug them in. Metal to metal scratching is kinda annoying.

I don't want them to get rid of aluminum, just maybe where the ports go make it a small area where it is made out of that material the previous gen iMacs back's were made out of.

16. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

- Dual Hard Drives
    - Desktop GPU (Although very unlikely)
    - Hexacore CPU (option)
    - 4 RAM Slots
    - Enhanced cooling system (avoid fried HDDs)
    - Even better sound system
    - 2 thunderbolt + 2 USB 3.0
    - Firewire 800 port (use it for some stuff)
    - SDXC card slot
    - BluRay??? (never gonna happen I know, but still want it)

17. DLary macrumors member

A target display mode that will work with display port equipped PCs.

18. sdo1982 macrumors member

1) It to be on sale
    2) Ivy Bridge
    3) Updated GPU
    4) SSD at an over inflated price inplace of over over over inflated price.

Thinner etc im not fussed about, i could get by with a 2011, but i just dont want to pay the apple premium for such old tech. It has been an eye opener just how little i need, i have been using a late 2008 macbook and cant complain, but i want a new imac! :D

19. One Still Sheep macrumors member

One Still Sheep

The ability to expand up to 32GB of RAM (not taking away four user-accessible RAM slots).

20. glitch44 macrumors 65816

My dream list:

Matte display
    SSD standard
    SSD + HDD option
    No ODD
    Updated GPU
    target display mode in via displayport/ HDMI for gaming PCs/ps3/xbox
    USB 3
    Easy way to access HDD without taking apart the entire machine

21. kolgax macrumors newbie

For me not to just buy 2011's model instead:

Better CPU/GPU
    RAM upgradable, not soldiered

What would be nice (but not necessarily always realistic):

Retina display and/or slightly improved resolution
    USB 3.0
    Lighter weight (not necessarily thinner but lighter so I can mount it better)
    Touch Screen
    SSD Standard

22. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I would like a simple SATA3 external SSD slot to slide in my choice of SSD drive. This would be in addition to a standard internal 3.5" hard drive. SSD drives are evolving quickly these days, and subject to more frequent changes than I want to tear a iMac apart to update.

23. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Blu Ray Burner!!

I use my iMac for lots of HD Video editing. Just pretty sad I have to go aftermarket to get my final cuts onto a external blu ray burner. Kinda takes away from the sleekness of the iMac with a bunch of cords dangling off the back to burn a DVD. A SSD would be soooo sweet to doesnt even need to be big just enough maybe a 128 gb but a 256 gb would be amazing. To bad I just bought a new iMac 3 weeks ago I know I know but needed a bigger screen and speed had some big projects to get done and tired of waiting. lol been waiting so long I blacked out.

24. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I want/wish:
    1)Usb3
    2)Gpu (650m-670mx for 21/ 675mx-680m for the 27)
    3)Target display mode OPEN or HDMI in
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't want:
    1)Soldered ram
    2)Retina on 27"
    3)Target display mode still crippled
    4)Glue