What? No word yet from apple about 2008 mac and the 24" disp. connection issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applecultvictim, Apr 6, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

I am talking to about putting out a great new screen and barring pretty much any pc (period) or any mac from 2008 and before to connect to it due to the mini display compatibility issue and the mini display to dvi adapter not working....!!!! I can't believe they havent' said anything official about this when a lot of people have been burned about it...those that have even bought it!!:mad::apple::apple::cool:

Come on :apple:!!

2. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

this issue is still persistent, does anyone here no if it's a tec issue that CAN be done but hasn't or not?

3. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's not a simple matter of a cable and some connectors. The older computers don't output a displayport signal so whatever adapter got produced, it would have to actively convert DVI to Displayport, and of course handle the physical connectivity.

The newer computers can output the proper signal for DVI so then it's a simple matter of getting the right pins in the right places... so yeah that's available now.

4. lotuselite macrumors newbie

So my money for a 24" display is burning a hole in my pocket and Apple are not interested in making it possible for me to be able to use the new display with my previous generation MBP. I am not about to ditch my year old MBP to upgrade to the latest version just to be able to buy the latest ACD.
    I guess it is HP or NEC as my options.

5. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm, so an adapter is not easy to come up with but it's still very feasible.

Exactly.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

I don't really see it as an 'issue'. They made a new product that isn't compatible with their old products, the end.

The obviously don't want to sell it to the older products so you can:
    a) Buy a new Mac
    b) Buy a competitor monitor.

Those are really the only options at this point.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

miniport is just like the ADC. Apple will start selling $100+ DVI to display port adapters that will take up yet another plug on the UPS.

Really the new displays are not anything special. Personally I think they are terrible, so personally I don't see and issue. There is no reason to buy those displays, therefor no reason for Apple to release an adapter.

They guy I bought my Macbook from was trying to pawn off the display for 50%, no dice.

8. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but this new product is supposed to work with what? Laptops, right? So this new product should be compatible at least with SOME laptops. To make your new screen that goes hand in hand with laptops incompatible with pretty much ALL your previous gen laptops, ALL of them is kinda psychotic above all.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

To each his own, the 24 is hands down the best display I have ever laid eyes on. It's difficult for me to imagine why you would think H-IPS with LED backlighting is "terrible".

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Which VESA standard cover the implementation of ADC again ?

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that would have been a smoking deal for the display:eek:

12. mac88 macrumors 6502

You should have bought the display then sold it. Easy money!

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

It is compatible with SOME laptops - the new ones.

It is a bit psychotic, but that is the choice they made. Upgrade or competitor, the end.