What now for the iPhone 5 owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vmistery, Sep 10, 2013.

1. vmistery macrumors 6502a

I am an iPhone 5 (64GB) owner and am now quite nervous about my phones iOS support future and its resale value. In the past I have gone for 2 year contracts, sold the phone and used it for the deposit to buy the top of the line new model knowing that mine is still on sale, supported and I have the higher capacity version (this is my 3rd iPhone) but now none of this would be true next year when the iPhone 5 is 2 years old.

So firstly what do people think:
    1: The max iOS version the iPhone 5 will get? will it be the same or lower than the 4S?
    2: Peoples purchasing feelings towards buying a discontinued iPhone 5 at 1 year after its death date IE will people prefer going for a 1 year old 5c instead?
    3: Are we going to start seeing more iOS version fragmentation with more models each year on different support cycles?
    4: Will it be worth less than a 4 would have been this time last year?
    5: Is the iPhone 5 1 year cycle a one of event or will it happen again?

With this in mind as a 5 owner would you bite the bullet and just upgrade to the 5s assuming it will return to be on sale for a few years? I am in the position I could upgrade as I am only on a 12 month plan at the moment I just hadn't planned on it, but now it might actually make sense too.

Be interested to hear everyone's opinion. I know I shouldn't but I feel a bit let down by Apple on this (probably because the 4S remains on sale I feel I have the ba***** child that nobody wants!).

2. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The iPhone 5 is at least 2x faster for both CPU and GPU and has twice the RAM than the 4S. In no way it will receive less OS upgrade support than the 4S.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Nothing above is of any concern. You are participating in rampant speculation and falsities.

Buy iPhone 5s, go to carrier and get iPhone 5 unlocked, sell on eBay for $500.

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

There's a difference between discontinued and dropping support. The iPhone 4 was discontinued (in everywhere but China) today, but it will still receive support for iOS 7 and any point updates to iOS 7 in the future.

The iPhone 5 will get updates for a couple more years at least. Stop overanalyzing.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Honestly, if anything, the 5 should be more valuable. Since the 5C is basically a 5 in a plastic shell, people would probably prefer the premium design of the 5. Think about it. For the price and performance of the 5C, you get the same design as the 5S.

Also I'm pretty sure apple wouldn't just randomly stop supporting the 5.

6. user-name-here macrumors 65816

To enjoy the next few days until the 20th, as it will be the last time the extinct iPhone 5 was relevant.

7. Matt8045, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Matt8045 macrumors regular

Well my cracked screen 16gb iPhone 5 eBay auction ended yesterday (9/9) and went for $355...but the person hasn't paid yet ahhhh. Either way ill be getting the 5S on launch day

8. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do like that way of thinking about it actually, I don't want a 5C even with its better battery and better 4G support as I don't like the design.

----------

What was false about what I said? It is being discontinued! Speculation yes but that is what this site is for and there is uncertainty around the price and support.

9. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

What now for iPhone 5 owners?
    Nothing much for me, running on iOS 7 GM and patiently waiting for true new iPhone release next year, hopefully with bigger screen.

10. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Now we sit with a smug look knowing the iP5 was a winner.
    The 5S is a meager spec bump at most

11. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

You're right OP, your iPhone 5 is completely obsolete and discontinued. It's worthless now and in the future and nobody wants to buy it for a price you want to sell it. You have the bast**d child phone. :rolleyes:

12. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5c is pretty much an iPhone 5 with a cosmetic change and maybe a few under the hood changes. So expect the 5 to be supported as long as the 5c.

13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Good lord, people are so melodramatic these days.

14. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, probably says something about my life! 1st world problems and all. Just annoying as I also got bitten by the iPad 3!

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah, or they're just bored.

OP I'll buy your iPhone 5 off you. PM me.

16. taedouni macrumors 65816

The iPhone 5 will probably be supported until iOS 9. The iPhone 5 received all of iOS 7 features. The iPhone 5 is a classy version of the 5C that is made from metal (not cheap plastic). They don't sell the 5 so people will probably still buy the 5 off people. People who can't afford to spend $650 on a 5S but don't want a plastic phone or dinosaur 4S.

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

How nice it must be the have this problem occupy your thoughts over real problems like taking care of your family, work, healthcare, retirement etc.

18. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

What now for the iPhone 5 owners?

The 5s is nothing more than a 5, I'd imagine that 'body swap' will become a future trend. Just look at the other phones available when your contract is up, if Apple still looks the best, just get a 2 yr newer iPhone and be done with it.

It's hard though, because Android upgrade cycles are all over the place.

Did you accidentally land on this site while falling off your horse?

19. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortunately here I don't have to worry about healthcare, work (I am in a stable well paid job), family I love them dearly and retirement, hell I am only 30!

I do agree with others that I should probably just calm down and think rationally however. Probably an overreaction as it was early morning at time of posting!

20. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

We'll just wait patiently. Remember, we have the good looking phone without the connect four case.

21. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Actually your iPhone is the 64GB one. You can't get that on the 5C, can you? Neither you can with the 4S. That means that if someone needs the space and wants a brand new one he or she will have to get a 5S.

I would say that the fact that it's not in the stores anymore is even a good thing if you are planning to sell it in the future. Think of it as a cheaper version of the 5S. The 5C can not really compete, because of the design, and because of the capacity.

What I'm planning to do is:
    -Get Apple Care before the 1 year warranty expires.
    -Next year, when the battery is old enough and the phone has some wear and tear, I'll try to exchange it.
    -When the iPhone 6 is out, upgrade. If I can get a good money for the 5 I might sell it, but I'm more likely to keep it. I've always wanted to have a backup iPhone, and the iPhone 5 is a good one to keep.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I wouldn't mind betting that second hand prices of the iP5 may well remain high as they are no longer making this model. If it is a similar price to the 5C and essentially a similar device in regards to hardware, I would imagine the iP5 is very attractive as a second hand purchase. :)

23. unobtainium macrumors 68000

My educated guess: The 5s will be discontinued when the iPhone 6 is announced next year. At the same time, Apple will release a new "c" model that basically consists of 5s guts in a plastic case. One new premium model per year and one cheap model per year (containing last year's premium guts in a plastic case).

I wouldn't worry, since your iPhone 5 will be worth more now if anything. It's the same as a 5c but with the premium look - no longer sold in stores, so resale should be high.

24. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you think will occupy the bottom slot next year then out of interest? The 5C? I am looking forward to it already.

That is a good point about capacity, I just focused on the it has a larger battery and 4G too much probably.

25. ABC5S, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No it is not...

The below is not meager by any stretch. iPhone 5 has none of the below,

A7 Processor 64-bit

New M7 chip..Health and fitness applications

Upgraded Camera f/2.2 15% larger sensor area
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0_OVn_uxA

Touch ID fingerPrint sensor with 360 degrees orientation

Dual LED flash for different light tones one can chose

Burst Mode. Up to 10 frames Per Second & Slow motion Mode as well

Meager meaning: lacking in quantity or quality: they were forced to supplement their meager earnings. lean; thin.