What one thing about you has changed most in the last ten years?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Maybe you disliked vegetables and now you love them.

Maybe you hated classical music and now it fills your various iDevices.

Maybe you were a male and now you're neither here nor there.

What one thing do you think is most different between the you of ten years ago and the you of today?*

*Obviously, forum members born after June 8, 2000 are ineligible to participate. Though, really, you should probably be at least 15 or so to come up with a good answer. I mean, what are you going to say, "I used to be unable to walk, talk and feed myself and now I can!"? Those sorts of answers don't really cut it. But getting back to the subject at hand, please forgive my little tangent...

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My age;)

No, seriously I guess I have matured an awful lot. I went from a spotty teenager to a Construction Professional.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Knowledge and interest of technology and computers (+Apple)

That's the first one that came into my mind, of course as this is tech related site :cool:

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My attitude towards women and relationships in general is much more positive and productive now. I guess it all boils down to communication.

Dale

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. RudyGrow macrumors regular

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I became more of a Mac geek, listened to Chris Moyles more and I began to like dance music and drum and bass. Weird stuff really :p

This is a great question, if I may add, by the way.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

10. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Before, I just knew how to draw. Something snapped. Now I see myself as an artist.

11. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I can no longer count my age on one hand. Or two. :) Ive also gained about 60 pounds

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

i've re-learned the appreciation for taking care of my body and mind instead of taking it for granted.

oh, and having a family now. been a stay-at-home Dad for 8.5 years...oldest is almost 9

wow!

14. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well I'm only 14 so I can't give a really good answer. But I would have to say my fashion sense. Before I would wear whatever I got but now I choose what I wear and I like it :eek:.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dang! How many minors DO we have here at MR?

I take for granted that we're all adults.

16. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Dang? I think that makes 4 of us :p.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My attitude and outlook. oddly, I've gotten a bit more cynical, but also more realistic in my expectations (or lack thereof) of others. I'm more realistic, more centered on the people on that matter, and know very strongly who I am, what I want and where I'm going.

So, from 18 then to 28 now, I've gone from being immature and uncertain to being a mature adult who's comfortable in his own skin. I've gone from being uncomfortable in strange surroundings to actually enjoying the challenge of strange places and people.

18. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

Complete looks.
    I used to be a scrawny kid, long shaggy hair

and now-
    Short hair, buffed up quite a bit, height changed a lot, facial hair..

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Hey, I found 20 of them. Want them back? :)

For some odd reason made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBL3smiYOY

The power of advertising, huh?

20. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

:eek: No thanks, still working on getting rid of the last few, don't need any more. :)

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Funny you made this thread.

Ten years ago I was at the lowest point of my life. I had just got a divorce (actually a good thing in the long run) but then proceeded to get laid off from a job out in the industry after leaving the federal government. Found work for a few months, got laid off again. Found work for a few more, then laid off for the last time. I just never thought that it was possible that I couldn’t get hired with my degrees and all. Eventually I lost everything and had to move in with my parents. I got to the point where I felt I was like the guy in It’s A Wonderful Life, however I didn’t even have life insurance, so I wasn’t even better off dead. Still I imagined just running my car into a wall going 70 a lot. I must have sent a hundred resumes. Nothing.

Anyway, when I was on my last week of unemployment, I finally got a call to have an over the phone interview. It was entry level, but the guy actually hired me, even though I had 20 years or so experience. Most bosses would think I wasn’t going to stay there for long and wouldn’t have even bothered with me. He did. I ended up staying there for 3 years, and then when an old job at the level of pay I had originally in the government came open, I applied and got it. I’m pretty much back to where I would have been had I not left the government. Oh, and I remarried in 2004 to the most wonderful woman I could imagine. Life is good.

I’m not sure why I wrote this, but for anyone that’s maybe in the same place I was 10 years ago, there is hope. My favorite quote:

23. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Count me in too! I'm 14 as well! :D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

10 years ago I was dating a lesbian, running around on a skateboard, being thinner and blonder. I was listening to Slipknot and Korn on my portable CD player, though I did get into Moby and Bloodhound Gang whilst on holiday. Back when you could buy new music abroad and have it play without any transferring. I was making crappy little games.

All the above has been inverted over the last 10 years.