What OS X 10.7 Lion has that Snow leopard does not and new stuff in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nec207, Aug 7, 2011.

1. nec207 macrumors 6502

Here is list of some of the things that Lion has that Snow leopard does not.

Address Book now uses an iPad-like user interface
    AirDrop – direct file sharing via Wi-Fi Direct
    Auto-correction now behaves much like on iOS devices, displaying an iOS-like popup box
    Auto Save – As in iOS, documents in applications written to use Auto Save will be saved automatically so users don't have to worry about manually managing their documents

Wow I'm going love the Auto Save.

Full-screen apps – Native, system-wide support for full-screen applications. Supporting applications display a new button at the top right of application window, this button opens applications in full-screen mode

May come in good for some apps that need to be full screen.

iChat now has support for logging into Yahoo! Messenger. Users can audio- and video-chat with other iChat users using their Yahoo! accounts

Nice

Launchpad – An application launcher that displays an iOS-like icon grid of installed applications. It features the ability to make multiple pages and group apps into folders that function the same as folders in iOS

I really love those the most.

Mail 5 – Uses an iPad-like user interface

Multi-touch gestures – Similar to iOS, additional gestures performed using a multi-touch input device

Nice.

QuickTime re-incorporates some features from QuickTime Pro. New features cited include Copy/Paste, Insert Clip, Crop Video, Rotate Video, Resize, Trim, and more Export options.

Preview gains several features, including full-screen support and the ability to sign a document

Resume – Applications resume in the same state when re-opened as already seen in iOS

Safari – With full-screen mode and the new WebKit2 layout engine

System Information – This feature is a re-design of System Profiler, which has been completely altered with new views which display graphical information on displays, storage devices, memory usage along with other hardware information. The previous layout remains available by clicking "System Report". Early builds of Lion also used System Information as a replacement for "About This Mac", although the final release reinstated the version of this dialog box found in Snow Leopard

TextEdit gains a new graphical toolbar with font selection and text highlighting. The new TextEdit also supports Apple's new automatic file saving and versions technologies

Versions – Time Machine-like saving and browsing of past versions of documents for applications written to use Versions

wow this so cool.

reviews why Lion is so good
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/1

Wow I did not think Lion would have so many new things and such a change.

What a big project that was.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

SL:

-not buggy
    -spaces
    -expose
    -iCal and addressbook don't look ridiculous
    -arguably is faster

3. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you post some screenshots of iCal and addressbook so I can see what you mean.

And may be apple was like Microsoft with windows vista the system requirements is way too low.

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I totally agree. Address Book and iCal can be partially fixed by changing their skins to aluminum.

I am using Lion on my MBP due to the additional security provided by FileVault 2, a great feature.

5. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Which is ironic given that a couple of years before Vista came out the claims of what spec machines would be running the new Windows were way over the top - claims of 4-6GHz machines with minimum 2GB RAM back in 2004 :).

I'll be interested to see how you do in fact get on with autosave.

6. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

New iCal look

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This thread is useless as most of these features are already outlined on Apple's site.

Other than that there are already threads about the unadvertised goodies in Lion.

Mods should probably wasteland this thread.

8. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you even read my post and read the link posted ?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes, and all I got from your post was that you skimmed an Ars Technica review and that you don't know how to use the forum search tool, and you did not check the OS X Lion page on Apple's website

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Everything has been discussed to great lengths for at least 10times before you so the thread is pretty much useless

11. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very strange that iCal and address book is very colorful and vivit but the finder and other areas of new UI is so plain looking of lack of color .

Even snow leopard is way more colorful and vivit than Lion.I thought Lion would have more or have option where people set their own theme or color.

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How is that strange at all? iCal and Address Book are just mimicking their iPad counterparts.

Then you don't know a thing about Apple.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

Apple is drifting away from file-based UI and is focusing more on apps being in the centre of user experience thus the faded finder and more in your face apps.

14. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

huu huuu huu :D:D:D than strange why the iPad is colorful and vivit .

huu Microsoft is also slowing moving windows GUI to a touch screan .:D

I think Microsoft and Apple think in the future that laptops may be the days of the desktops for most people and tablet computers are the future.

A touch screan ipad like look and feel is good for a tablet computers but not good for laptops or desktops .

I don't think people that are into playing games alot, graphics, animation , video editing , multimedia and spending alot time using Microsoft Office will be using a tablet computer or awkward touch UI.

And I don't think tablet computers can ever replace a main computer :eek:Put it other way tablet computers are good for people on the move and need computer when person still has a desktop or laptop at home for the other stuff the person does on a computer.

If a person is not into playing games ,graphics, animation , video editing , multimedia and spending alot time using Microsoft Office or watching movies on the computer than one needs no desktop or laptop .

15. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

After doing some reading it does not seem logic that apple would have the UI so plain looking of lack of color like it got hit by a vampire that suck the color out of it.And was reading the problem may be that the Finder's transition from Carbon to Cocoa.

That Cocoa may be the problem.Yes Cocoa may be better but looks like you going back in time how UI looked like before.

Here is a snip.

The Finder's transition from Carbon to Cocoa in Snow Leopard is starting to pay off in Lion. Several new APIs added to Cocoa in Lion have been adopted by the Finder. In days past, when the Finder was still a Carbon application, it rarely got the latest and greatest features at the same time as other bundled applications. No more.

Cocoa in Lion gives developers more control over the image displayed when an item is dragged from one place to another. The Lion Finder uses this control to transform multi-item selections from the usual ghostly image of the source into a compressed, realigned, list-view representation. This transformation happens a moment or two after the drag begins.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/15

Note that may be why Snow leopard finder was so colorful and vivid.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You know nothing about which you speak. Carbon and cocoa have nothing to do with the color of icons.

17. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Your reply lacks a careful explanation of sophisticated nature of writting here to clear up any difficulty of comprehending technological literature found on the internet where the reader interpretation is of base .

If one will elaborate than conform to bordline ad hominem reply .

18. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You might need a better translator. They are talking transitions that also happen to be really annoying. The cocoa API's get updates so if they wanted to they can use the updates in Finder without re-writes. Big deal. They did nothing of consequence with the Finder re-write anyway. Same featureless version as the carbon Finder.

19. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

It wouldn't be inaccurate to assume that I couldn't exactly not say that it is or isn't almost partially incorrect.

20. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Your reply indicates a proclivity towards government employment :eek: .....

21. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

But what was the point of cocoa ? Why is cocoa better?

I guess the problem is understanding the OS some parts of the OS layer that deal with UI ,some the way the hardware work and other parts of OS and core and so on.

So I thought the cocoa was UI and the way finder works.

22. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I hope more apps take advantage of the full screen API.

Rosetta Stone needs an overhaul

23. wankey macrumors 6502a

You've absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

This is what you sound like "posting there have no clue really never been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like"

Please do some research and find out more about what cocoa is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_(API)

24. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

huu ??

Who are you replying to ?

My post above was a question not a statement or opinion .

25. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Nope. Cocoa is a programming language based in Objective-C. It has nothing to do with the on-screen painted images of widgets and windows. It might help arrange them but they are just typical image files (.png, .tiff etc.)
    Cocoa is considered a "native" language and what Apple would prefer developers to code in through Xcode. Carbon on the other hand is a native wrapper to port older C based languages into OS X. That's about as simple as I can explain it.