What other prepaid carrier provider an I use with my iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by miss.manson, Jan 14, 2012.

1. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

My iPhone is locked to AT&T and I'm currently with H20 Wireless and they are absolutely horrible and I want to switch. Anyone know of a carrier(prepaid) that would work with my iPhone without signing a contract?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

WITHOUT jailbreaking and unlocking. I have a 4s so I couldn't do that anyways...Forgot to add that, sorry.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^Than none. If it's locked to ATT, then you can use ATT and that's all.

You will have to unlock it to use on others. (T-mobile in the US)

5. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I used h20 which runs on AT&T towers and they are prepaid. And I am not unlocked or jailbroken.

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

7. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

You can use straight talk. I think you can also use red pocket and jolt.

8. spin360 macrumors member

If I have a Verizon 4s and would be able to potentially unlock, can I use it on some CDMA prepaid providers such as page plus?

9. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

As far as I know you don't have to unlock for page plus

10. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

11. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

You can just get a gophone sim to work but you have to change the APN settings for data to work

12. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Wirelessly posted (Optimus: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there a profile I could install for that? How would I go about activating the sim card? Would I get mms?

13. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

Once you get a gophone sim, just put some money on it ( I usually put $25.00 to start). Phone and text messaging will work after that. After you verify it is working, purchase some data from the paygo website. Then from your phone on wifi go to unlockit.co.nz/ and change the apn for att network. Data and MMS should work after you have done all that. Howard forums has all the information.

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Hypothetical situation question:

Could you simply put your iPhone on the data package of 500mb for $25/mo and not have ANY voice minutes / text???

If so that sounds like a nice option to have (only $25/mo) since I almost never make phone calls and I only text through google voice using data :)

15. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sure you can. I am on the 10 cent a minute plan and purchased the 500 mb data. The good thing is for 5 dollars a month after that the unused data rolls over. The only problem is I get unknown data usage like everyone else here that posted so you have to keep an eye on it.

16. ap3604 macrumors 68000

!!!

Wow :eek:

Do you mean that if I purchase the $25/500mb option that data won't roll-over... but if I purchase $5 more ($30/mo total), say by using 50 cell minutes at $0.10/min ... then my unused data does roll-over to the next month?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I just want to be sure because if I can get data roll-over you made me a VERY happy man :D

Thanks for the quick reply btw

17. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Unused data won't roll over to the next month, just unused minutes.

You can hop on the 10 cent per call plan or the $2 per day plan and still add your 500mb/month data.

18. NT5.2 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unused data DOES rollover as long as you renew it by adding $5 at the end of the month. Data and texts rollover as long as you renew it.

19. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

source?

20. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I've heard that AT&T will detect you have an iphone and add a data plan to your account..Is that true? And all I have to do is buy the sim card, activate it, and put it in my phone?

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

not with a go sim they can't just ad data at will.

22. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Nope, when I went up to the AT&T store and asked them to activate my iphone using a GoPhone sim card, they told me to hold off on adding data until I figure out a way to tweak the iphone to get data, THEN come back to the store to add data later (if I wanted to).

23. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Why did they tell you to hold off on adding data?

24. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Because the GoPhone micro sim card is different from the original AT&T sim card so the iphone isn't going to work with data unless you change your APN settings. Obviously, AT&T reps aren't going to show me how to do it, but they did suggest that I google it because they know it is possible.

25. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

If you think h20 sucks, just wait for one month with the gophone. I live overseas and so I need a truly pay as you go plan when I come back to America.

I switched from goPhone after one month to h20 and liked it much better.

Here's the thing with both of them. The data speeds are crippled and their customer service is some of the worst I've ever experienced.

Good luck!
    Brian

----------

That's spot on. Even if you know what you are doing, getting data to work with a gophone plan can be a real pain in the butt.

My theory is that they are trying to make the experience suck so bad that you will beg and plead for a two year contract. AT&T is pissed that goPhone exists and that the market demands it - they want you where they can control your money over time.