What percentage of AT&T users still have unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I feel like most consumers don't even know what plans they have. For example, I told my coworkers about the double data promotions from Verizon and AT&T and they couldn't even tell me if they are on a share plan. Because of this, I feel like most consumers who have an unlimited data plan just stick with it and never changed it because they don't need to or don't care.

If that is the case, is it possible that a number as high as 50% represent the number of AT&T users still on the unlimited plans? If that is the case, it is no wonder why AT&T is forced to grandfather these plans. Because of all the headache involved (calling, mailing, emailing) in moving 50 million customers to a new plan.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The point is that they can not move you to another plan with otu you agreeing to it. I have had unlimited all the way back to my Blackberry days and have no plan or reason to change it. This lawsuit might mean we all get TRUE UNLIMITED soon.

3. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

That's my point actually. I think it will be impossible to just dump everyone off unlimited becasue of the resources involved in moving this many people off a plan. AT&T's customer base has more people than entire nations have citizens. The only recourse I can think of is offering true unlimited.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My point is that they can not more people off the plan or the only resources they will need will be LEGAL!

If AT&T could moved us off the unlimited plan they would have long ago.

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I'm still on unlimited.

I suspect none of us will be at the next upgrade.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. They can easily end unlimited for grandfathered customers the next time they upgrade a la Verizon.

7. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

And unlike Verizon, they let people have the choice to keep their unlimited plans with the guarantee they would never be charged overages. They never sold a throttled unlimited plan. They changed the terms for grandfathered customers, which is shady, but there is no chance they are getting true unlimited back. They will just end it if they are getting sued over it.

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I vaguely remember reading 3-4 million customers left on the unlimited plan.

I'm one of them.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why would anyone upgrade to Verizone?

We are talking AT&T.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They absolutely could if they wanted to.

You did not sign a life-long contract. It has to be renewed occasionally. At those points AT&T could tell you that your current plan is not an option anymore and lay out all of your new choices for you.

The reason they haven't done this is that this then gives you the thought to try out another carrier. They'd rather keep renewing a plan they don't love rather than lose you altogether.

But it's well within their rights to do it if it comes down to it.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

What he's saying is that it's possible AT&T will make the same move as Verizon and require customers to make a choice between unlimited data and a subsidized phone.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yup. This.

13. ATEspo macrumors regular

ATEspo

We had unlimited data up until the end of last year (around this time last year), I was experiencing sunch SLOW LTE speeds it was crazy, didn't matter if it was the first couple days of the billing cycle or the end, as soon as we switched to the 6gb plan I saw the speeds increased 10x.

Right now we are sharing a 6gb plan, and each line has to pay $40 to access the data, so technically 3 lines are paying $200 for 6gb of data, wich is ridiculous if you ask me. (3 iPhone's on the plan, but 2 of them barley use 1gb of data a month). Might have to up it to the 10gb plan.

EDIT: I just checked, one line on our account only pays $15 to access the shared data, I was told because they made a change to their pricing and that line will be $40 once we renew the contract (they upgrade phone). The only way to pay $15 instead of $40 now is to go with the AT&T NEXT, which saves you $25/month on data charges per line. So we pay $175 for 6gb of data.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Does not have to be "renewed occsionally". I am not under contract. Without compensation, it is not within the right to do so.

----------

No doubt but why would I agree to a subsidized phone? I am not under contract except for the original contract I signed when I got the unlimited plan many years ago.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's in the fine print that they can end unlimited anytime. All it means is those under contract will be able to get out of paying the ETF. It's moot if you're not under contract.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you're not under contract, ATT could end your unlimited tomorrow without any form of compensation. And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid. The original contact you signed was binding for two years. That's it.

As far as the OP's point that it would be too difficult to move people off of unlimited, it's all going to depend on their risk analysis, really. If it's monetarilynworth it for ATT to end the plan, they will. It really is that simple.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would have to see that to believe that. If that were so, why would ATT care as they could just send you a text and end unlimited.

I thin this would break a users contract and allow them to get out of the ETF, etc. Like I said it does not matter to me, I can see ATT dumping all unlimited accounts. Just not going to happen. Even if they lose the lawsuit, but who knows.

If ATT called me tomorrow and said they were canceling my account and the nine phone on it, I would seek new service and the world would just keep spinning. I bet that will never happen.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's exactly the reason. At least at&t is being generous compared to Verizon in actually allowing grandfathered customers to keep unlimited when they buy subsidized. FTC's action may put an end to this.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And you're going to stop them with the contract you don't have?

And that's exactly why they haven't done it. But that's a marketing choice, nothing to do with what they're allowed or not allowed to do.

20. Newtons Apple, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Are you going to get a larger car?

I will not have to stop them, as they are not taking my plan away. Why do you seem to care so much?

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's a discussion. We are discussing the issue. You keep brining up erroneous points and people are pointing those out to you. M that's sort of how discussion works.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

What I am saying is I really do not care as I am not in fear of losing my account or unlimited. Even if I did it would not be the end of the world.

Y'all keep going but I am done here. Thanks for the entertainment.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I, for one, am super excited that this turned into a face-off between a cat and a dog and I got to be a part of that.

Gotta love Macrumors :D

24. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I have a family plan where the primary line is unlimited data, but the other line is not since it's no longer an option. I've actually been told by one CSR that if I drop my second line and become a single line, I would lose my unlimited data.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I understand very well that you don't care. But you keep coming back with the contract you signed 2+ years ago and thusly would require compensation if Att ever took the plan away. Irregardless of how you feel about what Att May or may not do, the latter part of your statement isn't factual.

Many people come here with questions. I don't find it strange at all that people are correcting you, politely, I might add. You just don't seem to want to have any of that and are attempting to back pedal the conversation stating you never cared in the first place. That's well and good. The things you said were, indeed, said (written if we want to be overly technical) and that has spurred this segment of the discussion.

----------

Touché lol.