What percentage of people do you think use Notification Center?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 31, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

As an iPhone owner of 3 years now, I can honestly say I still find it incredibly useless and annoying. I constantly activate it accidentally, just like Spotlight Search and Shake to Undo.

2. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

If tried to use it and would love to but can't find any real instruction of how to?

3. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I use it every single day. It allows me to get to the notification that is most important at that moment if I have multiple things do look at when checking my phone. It allows me to see at a glance all of my messages. I don't know how you could NOT find it useful?! Couldn't live without!

As far as spotlight search goes, I use that even more. I never go hunting for apps in folders, as I can just search for them quickly.

These features make my use of my iPhone quick, efficient, and fluid.

4. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

What about Reminders? Same thing, would love to use but find myself just using notes.

----------

As a matter of interest, what do you have in your notification centre? As I say, I'd like to use more so a bit of guidance would be appreciated. Cheers.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Used to use it alot more. Now that I can't tweet from it, barely gets any use.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you have to check your phone every second of the day, Notification Center is never going to be useful. I use mine for messages, e-mail, package tracking, and forum replies. But I tend to keep my phone on my desk and don't carry it around the house the majority of the time.

There is nothing wrong with using the Notes app instead of Reminders. Some memos just work better as a note rather than on a list of todos. I don't put my homework in mine, even though it's obviously something I have to do, for example.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Pre iOS 8, barely ever looked at it; it was pretty much useless to me. Widgets in the NC has changed that; I use the NC on my iPad all the time. Still pretty much ignore it on the iphone 5, which is still running 7.1.2 and therefore can't use widgets.

That said--the best widgets aren't the always the ones that Apple included with stock apps. Calendar is an easy example; all day events don't even show. Calendars 5 not only shows them, but gives me a running tally of time I have left before my next calendar even each day. Way more useful. Likewise, I prefer apps like Wunderlist over Reminders, and Notebooks instead of Notes. But that's all personal preference.

(Spotlight, Shake to Undo, and Siri, on the other hand, are still completely pointless for me. All three are in the category of "Why can't I delete this crap from my iPhone?" Along, of course, with various stock apps I have to hide in a folder somewhere because I will never, ever find a use for them...)

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

after two years my sister, aunt and cousin didnt even know it existed :eek: same with control center

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

I can see that; my main uses are for time, date, or location delimited (geofence) reminder alerts.

Remind me to email such and such presentation when I get to work

Remind me to (whatever it is) at 8pm tonight

I set reminders for various bill payments a couple days ahead, repeating monthly, just to jog my memory if I've possibly otherwise forgotten. (I don't care for autopay pulls and not every bill is predicable enough to do an autopay push from my bank)

Big use is reminding me to stop somewhere on the way home from work; I set a geofence on the reminder to pop up when I'm still a couple miles from home so I'll remember to pick up the drycleaning or something from the grocery or pharmacy, etc. (all require I overshoot my street by a half mile or so to get there; I don't actually drive by them on the way and it's easy to get on autopilot)

Notes are great for lists and so forth when I'm already thinking about it, and I've also used the notes section of a reminder for that purpose, but Reminders are great for, well, reminding me to do something. :)

10. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

It's pretty useful for sport updates, I love it so far.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

For me it's been:
    quick glance at my day's calendar
    what are the stocks I'm interested in doing (including my company's stock)
    (as of iOS8.1) do a quick calculation using Pcalc within Notification center
    quickly see a little bit of any missed texts or emails that weren't on the lock screen

The benefit of notification center is that I can do the above without switching out of the app I'm in and finding/starting multiple other apps.

It isn't going to change the world, and my life wouldn't fall apart if it quit working, but it is useful.

12. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

It was pretty useless to me before it had the quick reply feature. Unfortunately it's only for messages. Would like quick reply for email as well.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I thought 110% of people used it contently but after reading OP I guess not... :confused:

14. normanfox macrumors 6502a

I don't use notification center either. that was the reason why Apple did not have it originally.

15. FloridaGary macrumors regular

16. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I actually use the reminders app quite often, but not directly. What I do is use the Drafts app to create lists of reminders and export them straight to reminders, which I view directly from the fantastical app. The reminders app has never been opened once, yet it forms the backbone of this workflow.

I use the notification bar for widgets and viewing notifications. I have the fantastical widget which I use to view my daily events, clips (for saving copied snippets of txt), pedometer (for viewing how many steps j have taken), eta (something like bookmarks for map locations). I am playing around with a few more, but find that they aren't that useful if they are buried so far down that it takes a lot of scrolling to get to them.

17. themyst macrumors 6502

I actually wish I could default to the notifications screen on unlock. I'm sure this will come with a new jailbreak tweak.

There are numerous useful widgets that I'd rather be looking at instead of a bunch of inactive icons on unlock.

18. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I use it for Yahoo Weather, date and calendar for the today side and notifications for Instagram etc. I really like it.

Attached Files:

19. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I use it a lot. Dark Sky widget is great, very accurately determines (to the minute) when it will start to rain. Also useful for a look at my upcoming reminders and quick access to Evernote functionality.

Can only see myself using it more as other developers introduce more widgets.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I barely use it. That functionality is not something that seems to be in my workflow.

21. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's quite important for me, especially the today tab.

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

Same here. I didn't think there were people who didn't use it.

I remember prior to iOS 5 one of the biggest complaints about iOS was the notifications. I don't see any reason not to use it.

24. Caesars macrumors regular

I use it on my g3 hourly, the ios version is just kinda meaningless.

25. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

They're included with some apps, both stock and third party. (Only for iOS 8+, even if an app provides a widget, it won't work on 7.x.x.)

On a device running iOS 8.x.x, pull down the NC and scroll to the bottom if necessary. Touch the bar that says Edit, and all available widgets from apps on that device will be available for you to choose from.

Some widgets are near useless due to poor design (eWeatherHD, at least on the iPad, is a good example). Others are well thought out & incredibly useful, enough so that I've been willing to switch apps or add a new one just for the widget.

As Abazigal mentions though, past a certain point, loading up the NC with widgets becomes less practical, as you'll have to do some scrolling to see them all.