What percentage of people don't have the rattling vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DC Hurricane, Nov 11, 2011.

?

Does your phone buzz when vibrating?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. No

76 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. DC Hurricane, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

DC Hurricane macrumors member

I was trying to do a poll on how many people actually had this buzzing issue when the phone vibrates. The problem seems to be very widespread and common.

Talked to a genius and they said they never noticed the issue before but when he looked for it in comparison to mine he noticed and everyone with a phone in the back room had it or was louder. He wouldn't swap it out but said I could get a new one through reserving so that's what I'm doing.

I don't want to keep wasting my time swapping out phones if a vast majority of the phones have this buzzing. He even said that if you don't notice it now it will probably show up later.

2. antman2295 macrumors 6502

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't understand, if a phone vibrates rapidly it will naturally make some kind of noise... every phone I've ever had makes a noise when vibrating. How loud is this buzzing?

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just when you thought you had heard it all . . . . . .:rolleyes:

5. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

is this your first cellphone? ... every mobile phone I have ever seen makes a slight buzz sound when it vibrates.

Did you notice if the genius rolled his eyes when you brought it in? :apple:

wait until you experience the phantom vibrate where you feel the phone vibrating in your pocket only to discover it was actually not happening.

7. ac921ol macrumors regular

Vibrate, buzzing, say it ain't so!!!! Say it!!!!! :)

8. DC Hurricane, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

It has been discussed on these very forums. That's where I initially saw it. It basically happens if you hold the phone vertically. You'll hear an audible buzz that is stopped if you pinch the bottom right corner.

I obviously know that a vibrate makes some kind of noise when it moves but this is almost like a rattling. As if something is loose inside the phone when the vibrate motor starts moving.

----------

The initial post is here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1265558

9. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

10. lear45xr macrumors newbie

hi i had same problem took it back to apple store & they replaced it. had also a problem with not being able to send txt messages
    replacement phone sometimes doesnt send txts

11. wraithlabs macrumors newbie

I had this issue as well when I had first gotten my 4S that I had pre-ordered. After reading one of the first threads, I had taken it to my local apple store. The genius listened to it, asked another genius if it seemed odd, and they agreed. They swapped it out and the new one has no issues. Not a clue what caused it, but i assume it has something to do with the motor being right under the home button (the area that you pinch to get it to stop). One thing I had done to show the problem to the geniuses better was to use the custom vibration pattern option to create a vibrate tone that keeps the motor going constantly. I then held up the phone to the genius's ear and pinched the phone a few times to show him the difference. Your best option is to keep trying the store. Good luck.

12. cababah macrumors 68000

during my entire replacement saga, (about 10 phones) half of them had this vibrate issue. one of them was extremely loud which was unfortunate because it had the least defects elsewhere.

also, testing out floor models, i noticed about every other phone had some abnormal vibration sound either a resonating "buzz" or a rattle.

13. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

Mine is horrible (64GB Black) and my wife's is closer to normal (16GB Black). Mine makes a pathetic high pitched sound although it is MUCH worse when it is on a table, dock, etc. than in my pocket.

I am probably going to take it in at some point but I am hoping it is something improved in a later batch as I got mine on launch day.

14. cababah macrumors 68000

my recommendation is to take it in and when the genius replaces it, tell them you want to test the new unit to make sure the issue is not there. they will give you a new one in a black box and turn it on (swap sim, etc) and just listen for it and if it i has it, have them keep exchanging it until you get one that is not defective. from my experience, most stores will swap out the device at least 2 times in a row before giving you the cold shoulder.

15. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

16. richard371 macrumors 68000

First one had it, second one developed it after a week. Third one does not but I am sure it will eventually develop lol.

17. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. It really seems hit or miss at this point. I'm going to get a new one today so I'll just cross my fingers but I may have to live with it, it seems.

18. cababah macrumors 68000

just remember, you can always turn "off" the vibrate function or even customize it to mitigate the sound....

HOWEVER, you cannot turn "off" a piss yellow screen tint, or a wiggly/mushy home button, etc.

19. JLemm macrumors regular

Apple replaced mine last night for free! Just take it up to the apple store, they'll replace it! Mine sounds 100% better now!

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have no idea what this thread is talking about, so I guess that means I don't have this issue.

21. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I never noticed the issue before people started complaining about it on here.. it's a bit irritating now that i notice it :p but i barely hear it in my normal use.

I'll let it go until it gets annoying, then I'll pop into an Apple store and slap a Genius..

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I actually made an appointment and they swapped it out for a new one. I tried testing it at the store before I walked out with it (the new one) and because of the all noise from the 100+ people that were crammed in there, I couldn't hear ****. Lo and behold, I get in my car and the noise is there. The vibration is even stronger than the previous phone and the buzzing noise (sounds more like an electric shaver) is present just as it was on the old phone.

From what it looks like (despite the results of this poll) this is a very common thing. Had I known, I would've not bothered exchanging it. Truth be told, once I learned this is more of a design flaw (for lack of better words) it doesn't bother me one bit. I accept it's there and continue to enjoy everything else about my iPhone.

23. rkeato1 macrumors regular

Swapped mine out last week for a new one and it started buzzing the second day. Now it's hit or miss. Applecare offered to replace it for me but I'm hesitant.

24. MarcBook, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Mine only buzzes when it's held very lightly in certain places (for example, if I position in certain ways on my palm or hold it lightly by the sides). Thankfully, though, it seems to just 'hum' like it should when it's flat on a table or being held normally.

EDIT: Actually, and rather weirdly, mine appears to have stopped rattling under these conditions... I have no idea why.

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

"You die Joe!" :D