What Phone Do I Get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WAM2, Jul 3, 2012.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Well, I Currently Have a Windows Phone (Focus S) And I Really love it! I Love the smooth experience and ease of use, but its just lacking features I want/need. I Was hoping the 7.8 update would add it but it seems it wont be adding anything but The new Start Screen.

So My Question is, What Phone Should I Get? I Would sell my Focus S for it, so my budget is up to $250, I Want a nice experience, but want a good camera, I Want to be able to send pictures,video, and audio (Windows Phone can ONLY send pictures, lame right?), I Want to be able to set a wallpaper, and I Want a nice screen. I Dont care if its a little old as long as its nice, I dont need the absolute latest and greatest.

2. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Galaxy nexus or a used nexus s (you can find these really cheap) would be decent. I have found the camera performance has been dramatically improved in jelly bean especially low light performance. Screen is gorgeous as well and stock android especially 4.0/4.1 is extremely nice and powerful.

The galaxy sii is also a good choice as well.

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Thanks, I Was thinking about Android Phones also, just as long as Its going to run 4.1 as I Still want a smooth experience.

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah, both the galaxy nexus and the nexus s will run jellybean. You can install a preview on the galaxy nexus right now and it will roll out in the next week or two. I don't know when the nexus s recieves it. I can check. Should be fairly quick, its a pretty easy update compared to gingerbread->Ice cream sandwich.

5. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Alright Awesome :)

6. batting1000, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

batting1000 macrumors 604

It's sad that people are coming to an Apple/iPhone/iPad/iPod/Mac forum and when they ask what phone they should get, they are being told an Android phone.

--

I'd tell you to get an iPhone due to the app selection, ease of use, and performance.

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The only iPhone they are gonna find for 250 is the 3gs and that thing is so outdated and the camera sucks as does the screen. Also android 4.0 is so far ahead of iOS 6 its not even Funny. The app selection is not a good argument either as android has almost as many apps as iOS and there are a lot of types of apps that you can't get on iOS that you can on android. There are a ton more emulators available because you don't have to root or jailbreak to use the.. while you can install those kind of things on a jailbroken iPhone there is less incentive for developers to develop those types of apps because the user base is so much smaller and they can't go in the appstore. On android those types of apps are available to everyone. You also can sideload apps without root as well so your not only restricted to market.

Typed this all up on my jellybean galaxy nexus btw.

8. redred macrumors member

It's only one person saying so in this thread. I've also noticed that the members talking up Android tend to be the same 20 or so MR members. It's like the sit out in this forum just to talk up Android.

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

10. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

We're not required to own only apple products on this board. They asked what phone should they get. If they wanted everyone to tell them the iPhone they wouldn't have needed this thread would they.

11. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Came here because I'm a Apple Fan, but have no issue with other things, obviously as I'm using a Windows Phone. I Thought About a 3GS or iPhone 4, but I'm sure iOS 6 Would be the last iOS For it, Am I Right? I Do love the iPhone, but apples just going to discontinue the models I Would be able to get.

----------

Thanks, I Know MacRumors users dont only use the iPhone, thats why I asked here, there are tons of users and I Wanted a suggestion thats not only the iPhone.

12. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

For the price option that he is in, the Galaxy Nexus is really the best option. He's going to get around 150 for the Focus S on a good day and 250 budget. So that's hoovering around $400. Less you can find a cheap iPhone 4, Galaxy Nexus is your best option. You might want to check AT&T (assumption since you have the Focus S) to see if you can do an early upgrade. If so, grab a 16gb 4s or wait til the iPhone 5 comes out if you want more options. I believe the 399.99 early upgrade to a 16gb iPhone 4s is still out there.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

Depends if he is up for a new contract or not.

----------

For the 3GS probably, but not the 4 if the 3GS has been supported this long.

14. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The 3gs is only being supported this long because they still sell it which in itself is a complete embarrassment especially for the price they want for it without a contract ( 16 gb unlocked galaxy nexus is 40 dollars cheaper than the 8gb version). Obviously he is not up on contract if he has a focus S. That phones pretty recent and they mentioned that it doesn't have to be new. The 4 also isn't even receiving all of the features of iOS 6. The nexus s which is around the same age is receiving android 4.1 and not a watered down version but the full blown OS.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

He said he wanted a good camera, that takes the Nexus out right there, awful camera. S3 is $199 and has the best camera I have ever seen on a phone, edging out the 4s camera.

16. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Alright I'll point out, I'm not allowed an upgrade yet, cant get a new contract, and My Budget is $250 WITH the Focus S, I Can get $180 out of the Focus S and I'll pay the rest up to $250, Currently I Can luck out on a 3GS,iPhone 4, Galaxy S 2, Nexus S, and there are SOME Galaxy Nexus's going for $250.

I've owned a iP4 and it broke and I got this Windows Phone, just not sure what to go with. hmm

17. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

18. Hyperfast macrumors member

I agree. Awesome phone.

19. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's possible he did an ESN swap which doesn't reset the contract, although he didn't allude to that. EDIT: Just kidding, he said he isn't up for a new contract but an ESN swap was possible.

Well if they're still selling the 3GS, then they'll still sell the 4, too. Not seeing your point there.

All that's proven by the Nexus S still being able to run the full OS (sans Face Unlock so it's not the full blown OS really) is that AOSP isn't very hardware intensive.

20. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its definitely worth it to find a galaxy nexus even if you have to spend a tad more than 250 to get it. It will easily last you atleast two years.

21. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Didnt Do an ESN Swap, I Got the Focus S on eBay after selling my iP4 broken. it was a 32gb so I Still got enough out of it to buy the Focus S Full Price. Another Person on my Plan renewed our contract after getting a 4S, and My Upgrade isnt till May 2013.

22. batting1000 macrumors 604

$199 with a new contract which isn't eligible for. He'd be lucky to get a GS3 for $430 (180 + 250). That's all if he can get 180 for the Focus S.

23. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Not everyone on this site owns an iPhone, there are plenty of people who own other phones, like me, I'm an Apple Fanboy and use this website tons, but Own a Windows Phone, I'm always on this forum so why not ask, people dont have to limit their opinion to one thing.

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

I would've gotten a cheap phone rather than buying a Focus S full price. Then you could save up the money and get a 4S or something else better.