What phone would you buy if it ran iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Timzer, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

Timzer macrumors 6502

Honestly, if iOS was licensed out and the GS2 ran it, I think you would see a lot of people on this board with a GS2. Better yet can you imagine the up coming GS3 running iOS? WOW! For once iOS fans would actually have class leading specs running their favorite OS. And with the GS3 running Quad core, it would be future proofed for a VERY LONG time considering the efficiency of iOS. Considering many people find the 4S snappier than the 4, Just imagine how snappy that phone would feel with the specs of a GS2 or GS3.
    What phone would you buy without a doubt over the 4S if it ran iOS?
    NOTE: Before anyone goes off on Fragmentation, don't bother because we all know it's more than possible to run the same OS on multiple Hardware platforms and BE STABLE AND SMOOTH. Yeah it's called Windows Phone. So let's stop being insecure and think outside of the box. There are so many amazing pieces of hardware out there that would put iOS market share through the roof. GS3 and iPhone both running iOS would be a force to reckoned with. I personally prefer Windows Phone, and really hope MS get's some serious high end hardware soon.

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4S Love the screen. Easy to use one handed, crystal clear high resolution, good color reproduction IPS.

Samsung and Moto handsets I've used leave a lot to be desired in the display realm.

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

The original iPhone, best form factor so far I think.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The iPhone runs great because iOS is optimized for the hardware it runs on...Either way, in this hypothetical scenario, I'd pick that flagship Nokia Windows Phone (I forget the name - it looks like an older iPod nano rip-off).

7. jesslla macrumors newbie

Hi-five! o/

I'd love to have my old Treo 680 with iOS on it. I loved that phone so much, but hated the old PalmOS.

8. d0vr macrumors 6502a

The reason it is snappy is because Apple doesn't have as much device fragmentation. You are basically asking if iOS became more like android... which would lead me to say "why not just get an Android now if you are willing to compromise quality for quantity/variations?"

Hands forced, possible the GS3 I suppose. Though that screen is massive.

9. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually this is not what I am asking. Fragmentation is not a given just because of multiple hardware options. Just look at Windows Phone. No fragmentation at all. And it is the smoothest and stable mobile OS out there. MS sets the strict guidelines and the hardware manufactures adhere to them, hence no fragmentation. In fact an entry level phone like the nokia 710 runs just as smooth and snappy as the High End Nokia Lumia 900. You would never sees this on an Android device. Apple can obviously do the same, but of course it would never do so as it would take a tonne of sales from their very own hardware.

10. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I will be the minority,

I actually prefer the 4/4s form/look and screensize to any other phone on the market.

So i'm good with what I have!

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're just talking about a hackintosh. While iOS and OS X are among the more compelling reasons to buy Apple tech, the real seller is that the hardware and software and designed to work with each other. Releasing iOS on any hardware would lead to more stability and functionality issues than are currently present and is more likely to lead to the "fragmentation" you see among Android device.

12. k3roro macrumors 6502

Lumia 800 or 900 in Cyan or White.

I really like the design.

13. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I loved my Palm Treo 650, but I'm not sure about running iOS on it. :)

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'm thinking about picking up the Galaxy Note as it is....so that one.

15. gpat macrumors 6502a

Galaxy S2... with Android. Oops, I already own that.
    No offense, iOS is an awesome OS for smoothness and applications, but Android can do some things, like USB host, that other mobile OSs simply cannot match.

16. cynics macrumors G3

I see no reason to have that much hardware for iOS aside from future proofing. I would like a larger screen but if I were to get an s3 then I'll just use Android, I'd say the same about a windows phone too.

Probably regret saying this but the os limitation of iOS is what I like least about my iPhone. Screen size being a close second.

All this doesn't bother me anymore. If I want an s3 size screen I'd get an s3. The perfect phone for me would be a mix of ios, android and windows in an android phone like the s series samsungs that was built to have the iPhones solid feel.

17. DanteMann macrumors 6502

There are a couple of phones.

1) GS3
    2) HTC One X
    3) Nokia Lumia 900

Bottom line, as you stated, Apple just has to set minimum hardware guidelines just as Microsoft has done with Windows Phone, and the rest takes care of itself. There would be no fragmentation by setting these guidelines, just like Windows Phone. But considering Apple doesn't really care for competition, we know it would never happen. Apple never gives class leading specs and that's a fact. But manufacturers like Samsung and HTC do. So if they ever were given the license to use iOS, they would easily make the iPhone look inadequate running the same OS. Seriously, just imagine a GS3 with a 4.5 inch edge to edge SuperAmoled Plus HD screen sitting next to a 3.5 inch iPhone running the same OS in the Apple Store. It wouldn't look good for Apple.

Btw, OP, you won't have too many people answering your question as it would be admitting the iPhone hardware is lacking. Which it truly is.

18. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

GSIII
    Note
    GNex
    Razr Maxx

Any of those running iOS with access to iTunes would be a dream come true!

19. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

People have been saying the same thing about OSX. Fact of the matter is that Apple doesn't want to support their software on other hardware likely because their profits will drop drastically.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They already tried this once before and nearly went bankrupt doing it.

22. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

23. Talking Tim macrumors newbie

I would stick to the iPhone 4s.
    I've had a gs2 a few months ago, but only another IOS wouldn't be enough ;-)
    The screen of the iPhone 4s has perfect pixels and I don't see that on other phones. So Ill stick to the 4s :D

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

The look of the Lumia 800 with the hardware specs and performance of the Note or GNex and the battery life of the Maxx.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

4/4S with no case on
    Or
    blackberry bold 9900

People are going to kill me for saying that second one.