What political party do you support?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Invincibilizer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Seeing Macrumors generally as a high end website with educated visitors, I am going to conduct this poll to see the party divide here and see if it is representative or the entire population or my state that is. (New York)

I see myself as moderate democrat, only a few of Obama's policies have I disagreed on. Obama's position on SOPA and his universal healthcare plan are few of the ideas that I support. His plan to withdraw troops seems a bit premature for now but the war in Iraq is a very minor issue nowadays.

State your party affiliation and why, include the state that you reside in if you don't mind.

I'm interested in the results!

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Probably not for the Iraqis.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

I don't vote for parties, I vote for candidates.

When I voted last (absentee to Michigan), the local US Rep I preferred was a Republican. I voted for Obama over McCain and voted Democrat. I didn't vote in the last gubernatorial election, but I would've voted for the sort of-independent/Republican Snyder over the old school/by the book Democrat challenger.

I just vote for what I feel is the best candidate based on my values.

4. iJohnHenry, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Province, Ontario, and I support the Democratic incumbent.

Give the man a chance to govern, without hamstringing the second half of his term this time.

It's almost like the U.S. views change as an anathema. :p

EDIT: Sorry, I meant that for Corporate America, who have the say of 100,000,000 people, apparently.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm an Independent who previously voted for both parties. Can't support today's Republicans.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I support no political party. They all need to go away. The American political system is severely broken. Back to the football game, it means about as much as an election and is more interesting.

7. 184550 Guest

Registered Independent. Vote Democrat on the state and federal levels and usually shift between Democrat and Republican on the local level.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The US political system is a twisted quagmire of money and corruption. I don't support a political party. And yet for some reason I vote, even though my choices are like choosing between cutting off my left versus right testicle. The last time I voted was in MI, and I voted for Democrats on the state and federal level and Green locally.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Parties are a throwback to a bygone era. I support candidates that I feel best represent my views. I have seen precious few in the last 10 years.

The choice is between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And even if you, and by divine intervention they get elected, the System will soon grind their bone to make their bread.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

While I will vote for the best candidate, I usually vote Democratic because they tend to sound more reasonable most of the time, tend to not have so much crazy running for office, and don't throw a segment of the population (the gays) under the bus.

I have voted for Republicans in the past, and am conservative myself fiscally, but voting for today's Republicans with discrimination written right into the official party platform is completely unacceptable. For me, it would be like voting for members of the KKK while they made some grand proclamation that blacks shouldn't have full rights. I wouldn't do that. And I won't do it over the gays either. Or the abortion issue for that matter. If the GOP truly believes in the concept of freedom, than people need to be allowed to have that freedom in their lives to conduct as they see fit. If they ever let go of these ridiculous social crusades, I would consider their party again...possibly...but not until that point. Ron Paul comes close...but then he really is a RINO and only in that party because he thinks he gets more traction that way. He is really libertarian though.

I think Obama has (mostly) done a good job, so I think he should get another 4 years. Beyond that, who knows. Guess it will depend on who is running at that point. Hopefully some better choices than this time around!!!

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Except for the Ron Paul (he's no better on social issues, though he wants you to think so http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1310011) part, thanks. It's nice to know that there are people out there who won't trade one thing for another person's rights.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Democrat, but I'll vote for any candidate that I agree with. It's been a while since the Republicans had any interest or viable solutions for the issues I care about.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Independent here.

The two party system in our representative democracy in its current form forces conformity to party ideology and polarization over pragmatic thought and compromise. I've held my nose and voted for the lesser of two evils in both parties. I'd prefer to vote on issues a la carte.

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm living outside US, not an US citizen and hence not allowed to have an counting opinion: lucky enough here in MR I can. So I voted for Democrats. I think the world (and US) is better with a bit more liberal and social governments. I think it would mean less but more focused spending in military and keep that money for infrastructure and education. Yes, it might also cause a fat state with higher tax.
    But again: that's just my outsider opinion :eek:

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama doesn't have a universal healthcare plan. Its a corporate welfare plan.

I'm independent in the US but would/will vote conservative here.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am independent however I tend to vote Republican on state and local issues. Local really isn't much of an issue as both sides just want to do whats best for the town. State wise it is far too left and nothing gets done. National is a crap shoot, pun intended.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My voting pattern is something like this, but I'm curious, do you derive any benefit from registering as an independent voter? Or is there any other kind of advantage to having done this?

(Aside, not directed at NathanMuir, there was an interesting thing on the radio about how a large majority of independents vote fairly predictably for one of the major parties, so I guess they're some kind of IINOs -- in my mind there isn't much point in calling oneself independent if one does not vote or if one cannot think of the last time one voted for anyone who wasn't a part of party X).

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Democratic, though I think the party in general is too far to the right.

I've voted for Republicans on the local level, because that's the only place nowadays where you can find any that aren't bat**** crazy.

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

It's been said perfectly well before, so I won't expand much. I don't like political parties. I agree with someone earlier who said they're basically an old tradition that won't go away. It's riciculous to lump your voting in with an entire group of people when there are so many issues to consider.

I vote based on math, sprinkled with a little emotion.

Democrat John Doe has an agreeable stance on 17 issues.

Republican Jane Doe has an agreeable stance on 19 issues, but a few that are offensive to me.

Independent Jack Doe is a lunatic and wants to rape my wife.

I wind up voting for the Democrat, but really in my head, I'm voting for John Doe, not his party. I only care that his views and what he may do in office better reflect what I'd like in the country I live in.

21. Fazzy macrumors 6502

The tea part voter were trolling? Please tell me its true :eek:

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm a registered Independent but I support the Democratic party. These days, "independent" has this awful Tea Party stain all over it though it used to mean something very different.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

considering the US is going to feel the economic disaster that was 2 simultaneous 10+ year wars, I think calling the Iraq War a "minor issue" isn't that realistic or advised.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't know. I can imagine a person who might want to identify as an independent but who relentlessly votes for a single party for pragmatic reasons. I would say this is because of the de facto two party system in the US. One might ideologically want to vote for someone with no chance in hell, but they ultimately make the pragmatic choice of "the lesser of two evils."

25. 184550 Guest

I don't get (additional) GOP or DNC spam mail come election time. :p

And in NC, I'm able to choose which primary I want to vote in.