What president dealt with crisis better

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Putting policy aside, between Bush and Obama who was better at handling a crisis. People are complaining that Obama is not being forceful enough or not looking like he is showing enough concern about the oil spill. The same could be said for Bush and his dealings with Katrina. Just as a public face in dealing with crisis was either one better than the other or are they both just as bad.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd say both were equally unprepared.However Bush had the tools available to deal with Katrina while Obama didn't ( and still doesn't ) have the tools available to him for the oil spill.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Obama has made some mistakes with the handling of the oil spill but at least he's handling it.

Meanwhile, during Katrina....

[​IMG]

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is Obama is not putting a public face on it. He might be doing more behind the scenes but what the public sees is not enough.

How much of Katrina was Bush's responsibility up front, it was more of a state and local issue the second Katrina hit.

Both presidents didn't have a hand in causing either disaster but they seem to be handled the same after the fact.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't understand this attitude people have about thinking Obama needs to get all loud-mouthed and angry in order to be serious about it. What would that accomplish anyway? What exactly do you think he should do?

Katrina was a poorly handled disaster but it was also slightly more straightforward to deal with. An oil leak like this at the the bottom of the freakin ocean might as well be on the moon for how difficult it is to sort out. If everyone thinks it's so damn simple to deal with, I'm quite sure there are people at BP that might like to hear from you keyboard heroes.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is they let the leak get out out hand before trying to plug it. They should have started to protect the beaches the second the oil started to leak. Obama said it was BP's problem, then said the government will get involved.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was BP's problem (and I think they should be put out of business after this), the government got involved when it became clear BP could not handle it.

The difference here is this: This disaster was caused by a private entity, Katrina was an act of nature that the government was meant to be prepared to help with in the first place. That's one of the reasons we have government.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Personally I would say neither should get particularly high marks for handling these two disasters. But in Obama's favor, this was a very unique incident that no one really has experience with compared to hurricanes which have been battering those of us who live near the coast since there was a coast. So I would have expected more there as far as handling the emergency.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But the government has to be ready to handle disaster no matter where it comes from.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Neither has been particularly stellar with their gulf disaster response, but I guess my questions is what exactly can Obama do to solve this problem? What remedies are available to him? Does the federal government have tons of boom stockpiled? Are they supposed to? Do they have deep-sea submersibles that are better than the ones BP is using? Should the government put BP in receivership and take over the capping operation?

When people criticize Obama for his poor response to this disaster, what exactly are they suggesting that he do?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see no reason we should not have a corporate death penalty, since they're people and all...

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know. This is really bad. Why should we let such an entity continue to operate?

As has been said, what are your suggestions? What should Obama do? This absolutely should be owned by BP.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is the government is really at the mercy of BP even if they say otherwise. I guess we could hold their feet to the fire more and really lay the screws in.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How do you protect the beaches?

The government knows nothing about oil drilling. How can they be expected to handle it?

What Obama should have done was gather the world's best oil people to help deal with it after it became clear that BP had no real plans. That said, there are no experts in dealing with oil spills a mile deep.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Should the government have the power take over the operation and force BP to do everything we demand or do we have to wait for BP to come up with a plan. Every option that BP has tried has failed and made it worse. It is probably time to get every smart mind on the problem.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The conservatives don't think so.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The same could be said for Katrina, how can you prevent levees from holding back water when the city itself is below ground. Louisiana had wanted to build barriers along the beaches but were not given the go ahead until weeks later. We should not be having to deal with red tape during a disaster.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure we could, and Obama most definitely should put the screws to them. Extract pledges to pay for everything now while public opinion is on his side. Demand changes to the drilling process that include more safety features -- the most reasonable one I've heard so far is to require one or more relief wells to be drilled simultaneously with the exploratory well so that if something like this happens it's shut off in a matter of days instead of months. Demand changes to the MMS -- as he's doing. Investigate BPs (and TransOceans and Halliburtons) roles in all this, and charge anyone they find to be negligent with a crime.

But none of that gets this well plugged any faster, does it? Again, what can Obama do to solve this problem faster than BP is doing right now? I've yet to hear a good answer to that question.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm not so sure you can call it red tape holding up the process for the barrier beaches. That needed to be studied very thoroughly because it's impacts and effects were unknown. Had that idea been tested and proven already, I don't think we'd have seen the delay in getting the approval. If it works, this might be the first action taken in future oil spills.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I guess the only real solution is in August when they get the relief well drilled.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can think you're prepared to handle any disaster, and then a disaster will come along that is so big that you're woefully unprepared.

I think the problem here was that we're allowing oil drilling at depths deeper than what we know how to handle if there's a disaster. That predates the Obama administration, it might even predate the Bush administration.

I think what will determine whether or not Obama failed is not the immediate response to the disaster, but rather, the legislative and regulatory response to the disaster in the coming months.

I'd be all for that.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly. There is literally nothing Obama could do to speed that up. The die for this disaster was cast when Bush-appointed officials gave the green light for this well to be drilled without requiring extensive and redundant safety measures be put in place first.

The people demanding that Obama DO SOMETHING to fix this just seem to ignore the fact that there is nothing Obama can do to make this go away any faster than BP.

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Those same people also demanded Bush do something with Katrina when most of that was out of his control as well. I am not blaming Obama for the disaster, but I think he could have done more upfront once it happened.

24. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Delivering food and water was definitely in his control.

25. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But not getting the people out of the city before the storm hit.