What proof can I provide to qualify for the education discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derekivey, Jul 18, 2009.

1. derekivey macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am going to be a freshman in college this fall and I am looking at getting a MacBook Pro. I noticed that my college isn't listed in the Apple Higher Education online store, so I will have to call Apple to order, since the closest Apple store is a few hours away from me.

Does anyone know what kind of proof Apple requires in order to get the discount? I do not have my student ID yet or an email address from my university. I do, however, have my acceptance letter and a scholarship letter from them. Will this be sufficient proof of my enrollment?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would suggest contacting them directly
    You will get a wide range of opinions and experiences here, none of which may apply to your situation

The bottom line is, Apple will have to approve it, not public opinion here

My understanding is that they will be fairly flexible in matters like this
    After all, they want you to make the purchase

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. feedmeister macrumors member

Definitely talk to Apple about it, but from what I've seen, what you have is proof enough. Your acceptance letter with the school's seal is considered proof of being a student in many cases. Good luck!

4. FayeDay macrumors newbie

FayeDay

springboardstore.com Back to School Bundle

I'm a springboardstore.com fan now after buying my MacBook Pro there and they have their own educational pricing/bundle deal that you might want to look into.
    It's on their front page and it made me wish I was still a student because I could have gotten some nice peripherals for free along with my MBP had I been (wireless mouse, speakers, laptop sleeve)!
    I imagine they have similar requirements to Apple for showing you're a student as well and bet an acceptance letter is fine.

Happy hunting! Is it really already the back to school time of year, I feel like I was just seeing the kids in the neighborhood getting out of school!

5. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Just go onto the Edu online store and pick a different college, maybe one near where you are going and just order what you want. You dont have to submit any credentials when you order. If they later ask you for proof, you can submit your acceptance letter at that time.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well when I called in to order my MBP with the education discount, the representative just asked for the school I attended. No student number, proof of acceptance, etc.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I'm quite certain a .edu email account (or international equivalent) is sufficient for online orders. Apple has never requested "proof" of enrollment from any order I've ever placed. However these have always been online store orders. Perhaps, as someone stated earlier, you can show your acceptance letter, the bill from the bursar, or your course registration.

8. derekivey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, guys! They've been very helpful. I'm hopefully going to be ordering the 2.8 GHz 15" MBP soon!

Derek

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Do you have your I.D. card? If your university is close by and you are accepted, get either an I.D. card or your student identification number; you may be able to call and get it. I remember I got my card/SID right after I got accepted - I just had to go through Admissions.

11. matperk macrumors 6502

When I got my first mac, after I was accepted, and not yet attending, all I had to do was log into my online student center in the apple store. Maybe something similar you could email them would suffice.

They almost never check online, realistically.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Just use your school email when ordering

That is what I did with zero problems