What Radio Station do you listen

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
With the death of WHFS, I have been searching the local radio stations trying to find something that doesn't suck (not that WHFS was the best, nope, not by far.) Well...here in the Balto-DC metro area theres some slim pickings. And this made me wonder....

What radio stations do you all listen to on a regular basis? I have been listening to WAMU 88.5 for a few years now. Its NPR radio.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I pretty much only ever listen to NPR. But most of the time I work in silence. The loudest thing in the room is the barely audible whir of my iBook G4.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There's only one radio station in DC any more....XMRadio (They're headquarters/broadcast station is at Florida and NewYork Ave) :D

Still can't believe WHFS went to Salsa?!?! And no more HFestival! :confused: :(

D

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
AfterhoursDJs@160k, on iTunes.

No, really. 'Real' radio in this country generally consists of moronic DJs catering to the lowest common denominator. Classic FM used to be good, but I've not heard it in years... BBC Radio 4 is good, BBC Radio 2 on the odd occasion, but anything else is utter pap.

Especially college radio stations. *shudder* wonder if those monkeys at my uni are streaming yet? They were "trying" to get it working for the past 3 years. Such an academic elite. I appear to have wandered off-topic somehow... :p ;) :rolleyes:

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Mr. Anderson said:
There's only one radio station in DC any more....XMRadio (They're headquarters/broadcast station is at Florida and NewYork Ave) :D

Still can't believe WHFS went to Salsa?!?! And no more HFestival! :confused: :(

D
I know. Seimpre De Fiesta now. Oh well, at least I have my NPR. The festival wasn't that good the last two years either. Actually, none of the WHFS big shows were either, like the nutkracker and all.

I still need to get XMRadio, maybe it'll be an early b-day present to myself (if the old ball and chain lets me, lol)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I listen to 96.9 FM Talk Radio WTTK here in Boston. Have been a loyal listener since early 2000. My wife got me started with the station. It was Mike Barnacle they first got here attention to be a listener. Now the majority of our day is spent with them.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
One of the last independent rock stations in the country, 106.9 WCCC out of Hartford.

Actually the number 1 music station in the state.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Radio? How quaint.

I haven't listened to commercial radio in years (by choice, that is), especially with the consolidation that has been going on (Yes, Clear Channel, I'm looking at you).

That said, traditionally, I have listened to NPR occasionally and the local college station depending on the city. I am also a fan of the 80's throwback pop shows that have limited-runs on some stations.

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
brap said:
BBC Radio 4 is good,
Not just good. Worth the licence fee a million times over.

My surrogate family for the last 10 years.....

To all of you haven't checked it out go to bbc.co.uk. In particular - I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (funniest "British" comedy around - how to make fellow tube travellers think you are a mentalist). Everything is available for a week after broadcast, which of course can be put into iTunes with irecordmusic.com or similar.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
in san antonio, 1200AM WOAI, or 89.1FM (forget the call letters)
the first one is basically talk radio, but they have art bell! 89.1's npr. only listen to the bbc world service morning news thing (starts at 11 over here; im mostly a late-night radio listener)
my favorite internet radio is NBOX comedy on itunes. gotta love it!

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I'm 36 and WHFS was one of my favorites, particularly in the early 90s.

Get XM. XMU (43) is the "college station"-- kind of the pre-HFS

Fred (44) is 70s and 80s alternative-- WHFS in 88

Ethel (47) Lucy (54) alternative hits-- WHFS in 98

Plus several other good selections-- no commercials-- well worth $10 a month

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
Any radio station that plays Tom Leykis is a good radio station! Oh Yeah! :cool:

Actually no radio station plays liberal (or shock) talk in neoconservative Alaska. :mad:

So I tune-in over the Internet to KPFA Berkeley, CA and of course the Atheist Radio Network, click in my signature to listen to that.

HowieBerry

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2004
UK
London's Heart 106.2 FM.

It plays music that isn't people swearing every five seconds over the top of a bass beat whilst some poor sample of a good song gets trashed in the background.