What Reason Would You Need To Leave iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Mr. Incredible, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I've owned 3 smartphones, all Apple. I've had the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and the iPhone 4.

Even though the phone has had software upgrades, and design upgrades, it still feels like the same phone after 5 generations.

My question is, what would be the reason for you to leave iOS for a different smartphone (i.e., Android)?

This is what the next iPhone MUST Have this coming June/July:

• 4+ inch Screen! (It's had the same 3.5'' screen throughout it's life, it needs to be bigger!)
    • 4G LTE Speeds! (They lagged the 3G speed by waiting a year, and they did the same to 4G! Everyone else has 4G speed phones, and we're here with 3G)
    • Longer Battery Life! (The battery just drains way too fast, it would be nice to have at least 12 hours of heavy use, so that way it can at least last an entire day, depending on use.)
    • Better Nav!(The navigation has never really gotten a true software upgrade. It would be ideal to have a FULL SCREEN Nav App, and since we got Siri, Turn by Turn Voice Navigation should be pretty easy to do. I know there are apps out there, but I'd want a native)
    • Customization (It would be nice to have widgets, and be able to set up your phone the way you want it to be. There are apps that I don't even use or want in my phone, such as stocks. I know you could put it in a folder, but deleting it off the phone would just be better).
    • Gorilla Glass (I'm not sure how many people have cracked their iPhone 4/S, but having a better glass will make things much better for the consumer).

If Apple doesn't deliver these, than I will strongly consider switching to Android. The only thing holding me back, is the amount of money I've spent for my apps. I didn't buy all of them, some are free, but I currently have 250 apps, so..

I know that the first 2 are very likely to happen (the 4 inch screen and 4G LTE), but if the Full Screen Turn by Turn Nav happens also, than I'll be staying with iOS. If not, than I'll be switching over to Android.

What about you guys? What reason do you need to leave iOS?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

While I take some of your points onboard, Im not going to join the Android community.

It's a good two years behind Apple, the apps are expensive, although some of the new devices and handsets are good. An example I posted in another thread recently:

My next door neighbour has a new Tegra pad...The device is perfectly okay....Until you start looking at app prices.... £3.49 for a basic card game? This is not going to encourage people to switch.

I'm sticking with Apple.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I wouldn't leave iOS, but I'd be happy to have both. Or all of them. (iOS, WP7, Android)

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you go looking for an expensive app, you are going to find it on both OSs. What card game are you referring to? I bet I can find the same card game for free... The apps simply or not more epxensive. In fact, many apps that cost money on iOS are free on Android namely because there is better ad monetization (the dev gets more per ad impression on Android than iOS).

I also have no idea what "a good two years behind Apple" means. I am going to make the (likely safe) assumption that this is 100% opinion and 0% fact.

----------

Right here. THis is my number one reason. Shocked I have held out for so long with the 4S!

6. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Well, iOS is getting a little stale but nothing most people can't handle. A lot of reasons people leave is purely for experimentation, they try Android/WP7 to get a new smartphone experience. Most come back to iOS after seeing that all though there are some pro's to switching, it's mostly cons after being used to iOS's fluidity and stability.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nothing really. I'm actually quite content with how it is right now.

9. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm pretty sure we'll see all those things this Fall except for the customization.

We'll have Live Icons as the only interface change.

10. yly3 macrumors 6502

What would I need to leave iOS/iPhone ?

A 500-600$ phone which doesn't feel cheap like 2007 phones. (my 2008 E71 still feels better than 90% of today's Android phones)
    No lag. We are in 2012 for Christ's sake. I do not tolerate spending 500$+ on an octocore 2GB of Ram and GT 550M 2GB and still lag.
    A decent camera which so far only iPhone and some Sony Ericsson phones deliver, but SE has terrible software update schedule.

14-16 hours of "high-medium" usage. So far my 4S is perfect. 2 days with 3G on.

So, basically based on my needs I do not have any other choice. Used Windows Phone 7 for 4 months and loved it. Too bad the above points do not apply excepting the lack of lag.

11. Macbees macrumors newbie

Already left... why? I have an iphone & an ipad. Do most of my stuff on the ipad. I can get a mid range android for half the price of the iphone 4s, yet still does 90% of what the iphone can do.
    Apple needs to come out with mid range iphones which is completely redesigned instead of selling 2-3 year old models at a cheaper price... especially so when one can get a new model android at the same price.
    Don't get me wrong.. iOS is fine.. ipad is still great compared to android tablets and priced competitively, but i think iphones are way overpriced for what they are today... and after having an android phone the past couple of months, I think android is maturing.

12. LeeM macrumors 6502a

When I find an android phone made of metal and glass, feels as quality and looks as nice. Then when I use it there's no lag, the os looks as impressive (as soon as you go away from your home screen in android it looks cheap and clunky ime) and it interacts as well with my iPad and can share data.
    All that would have to be cheaper too, otherwise it's iPhone for me.

13. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

A gun to my head, an irreversible descent into dementia, or a sudden urge to give two **** about having the very latest fractions of an inch screen size or Mbps download speed.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I just got back from Android. Nexus S was an experiment to say the least.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I would leave for a $12 million bribe.

Ok, maybe $5 million, but not a cent less!:rolleyes:

16. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

The only reason I could think about leaving Apple Ecosystem if the content from 3rd party get more blocked.
    E.g. If I could not use Kindle or Hulu anymore. As long I have those alternatives I'm fine with iOS.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

The time I leave IOS will be when Apple no longer exist as a company.

18. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

If they discountinue the ipads/iphones and touches.

19. Liquinn Suspended

I've never thought about this really to be honest.

Probably if my iDevices got viruses or something like that.

20. Surrylic macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4. Since iOS 5 came out it has run a little slower, a little laggy. I jailbroke it because basically I'm tired of the same old Apple set up, and I love things like BiteSMS. Now it runs horribly slow. I think in a month or so I'm going to give an Android phone a try... I'm tired of zero customization and a small screen. I know 3.5" is cool for a lot of people, but I've been wanting a larger screen since before Android phones started releasing them as the norm.

There are a few things that make me want to stick with Apple, namely the camera. It's rare I've seen pictures from a phone with as good of a camera as the 4, but I don't think a phone exists with the quality of the 4S. So my upgrade is next month and I'm looking into whatever the newest Android is, maybe the Note (that huge monster..) and in a month if I don't love the phone... I'm swapping it out for a 4S, at least that'll run as smoothly as a phone should.

And then hopefully stealing the upgrade from someone else on my family plan this fall when the next iPhone is released :p

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The above fan boys are drunk on the Apple kOolAid. But if you are so happy that you do not even look at other phones . . . well you likely voted for our current president.

The reason I leave, on occasion, is iOS is getting boring! It has not basically changed in years. I know the fan boys think why change what is perfect. BUT, I am bored with it. I love Android and my SG2 and am picking up a Focus S today to check on Mango 7.5.

Just too much new hardware coming down the pipe to sit and wait on Apple. Until Apple loosens it GRIP and give us more options, they will continue to lose users who want more choices. ITunes sucks:eek:

22. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

Another reason to leave might be the SIM lock; really getting tiered of it. But others are not better; so no alternatives here.

23. scaredpoet, Jan 6, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No it's definitely gone through some changes: you can't put an original 2G iPhone with the 1.0OS interface side by side with with an iPhone 4S interface in front of someone who's never seen them before, have them use both, and have them insist they are exactly the same. The moment they look at the two screens they'll notice HUGE resolution improvement. And while sure, they'll clearly know that they come from the same source and that 1.0 is a descendant, it'll also be pretty obvious have been significant UI improvements.

But then, that's exactly why I stay with iOS. It's improved a lot, yet remained consistent. I don't get why people have cell phone interface ADHD all the time. The biggest waste of time for me when getting a new phone was finding my bearings and figuring out what changes I'm getting used to. I guess that's fine if you don't have anything to actually DO with your phone except fiddle with it and guffaw about processor speed. But, I kinda do need to be productive.

In a nutshell: It would have to really suck. If the interface was radically different, noncohesive, non-standard among different models, if apps started to not work between this device versus that device, the hardware was unreliable, it crashed a lot, or was unbearably laggy and slow, then I would have to start looking elsewhere.

Unfortunately, these are all of the traits I dislike about all but maybe one or two Android devices. So basically, iOS would have to become worse than everything negative about Android for me to switch to Android.

The phone would have to still fit in my pocket comfortably. If it doesn't I'd have a problem with it.

There would also have to be a way for apps to not look like crap on the new screen, even if a developer hasn't modified their code for whatever new resolution the 4 inch screen had. Id rather not have to ditch apps that don't' work all for an extra half inch of screen.

There were two main reasons the first iPhone lacked 3G: lack of coverage, and 3G chipsets of the time sucked batteries dry.

It's the same now with 4G. 4G is of no use to me until it's actually where I live. Especially if it reduces battery life. If they get that figured out, then sure.

Unrealistic if you want 4G and a bigger screen. Both 4G and larger screens means higher current draw.
    So it's one or the other, and it'll probably be that way even later in the year. If the next iPhone gets 4G and a bigger screen, then the best you could hope for is that battery life stays the same. Because hopefully
    by later this year they'll have chipsets that use less power, or batteries that can deliver more.
    What would a native app do differently than the apps already out there that have turn by turn AND voice?

Why wait? Switch now. Ultimatums like these aren't going to faze Apple when even the model of iPhone from two generations ago is still a popular seller.

24. KentuckyHouse, Jan 6, 2012

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've got a GSII and 4S (to stay with the theme of the thread). When I get bored of one platform, I simply switch. It's the best of both worlds.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I imagine Apple is in this for the long haul, so unless someone totally revolutionizes communication again, I will likely stick with them, especially with the poor quality of android products.