What screen res would a "Retina Display" have to be for the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Firstly, yes I know "Retina Display" is just a brand/marketing term made up by Apple.

But I think we all know the maths behind it was that someone with 100% eyesight, holding the device (the iPhone) at the distance that Apple felt was NORMAL for this screen size (3.5") could not see the individual pixels.

Due to the maths of pixel size / distance / human eye resolving power.

So that's all understood and agreed with.

Given this, has anyone done the same maths for the iPad, and what actual screen resolution the iPad would have to be to be legitimately called a Retina Display by Apple.

We have to understand of course that Apple would deem the iPad would be held at a greater distance away (in normal use) than the iPhone with it's 3.5" screen.

So the iPad with Officially Branded Retina Display would have a lower pixels per inch than the iPhone.

I'm guessing they would say the iPad in your lap would be the viewing distance. 18" to 24" away.

Personally I would generally use my iPad a lot closer, probably 12" away, esp when playing games as I like to be more involved than holding it in my lap.

So, again, had anyone done the maths?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are a number of discussions around the Retina Display for the iPad in existing threads. It might take a little research, but using MRoogle will help you find them. Please feel free to continue your discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.