What services are you using for email, contacts, and calendar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveMyPens, Sep 22, 2013.

1. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Just like to know what others feel about these services and who uses what. Thanks.

2. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

mail,contacts,calendar. Tried using google apps, but preferred the simplicity sticking with the Apple apps. Don't have to worry about syncing accross all my Apple devices.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I use google services synced with my devices as I have an android. Worth switching to icloud for contacts and calendar once my phone gets here?

5. plainwhitetay macrumors regular

I use iCloud for all it provides. My @me[dot]com address is my personal and primary and I also have a school and Outlook[dot]com just email address set up on my iPhone. I previously used a Google for contacts and calendars but switched to iCloud because it just works beautifully for me personally.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I would say no. Syncing with google is best IMO as if you change back to android there is no issue...

7. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Not planning on it for at least two years, but iCloud wouldn't have any advantages right?

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Not that I can think of... they both essentially do the same thing but google is platform independent...

9. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Then I'll stick to google! Thanks.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

Google does not support push email on the stock mail app anymore unless your device was grandfathered in.

Personally, I'm using iCloud and since a few days also Outlook.com (which does support push via EAS, and recently also introduced IMAP support).

11. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Same here.

I'd actually like to be able to use my iCloud email address instead of Gmail so I could have everything under 1 roof... but apple doesn't let you use your iCloud email address for your apple ID :(

13. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I use gmail for it's spam filtering. If iCloud had the same capabilities, I would switch to it in a jiffy.

14. bkribbs macrumors 65816

What would be grandfathered in? I have had it in push before but I assume you mean it was set up and hasn't been unset up?

15. Rigby macrumors 601

It's linked to the device. If you had previously set up EAS push on your current device, it should continue working. But you will not be able to set it up on a new device anymore.

16. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Ah, lame. It was on my old iPod. Oh well.

17. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

18. macgrl macrumors 65816

icloud - for contacts, calendar. google apps for own domain for email

19. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Calendar - iCloud. Easy to keep everything synced on multiple devices

Email - Yahoo! and Gmail. I also made an iCloud email, but I don't use it.

Contacts - Google. I would use iCloud, but there's one annoying feature I can't get past. You know how when someone calls you, a big picture of them fills up the screen? Well it's extremely hard to find pictures of all your contacts that work for this purpose, most end up just look like creepy super close-ups of their face. However, when you sync you contacts through another service (such as Google), when someone calls, their picture is shown in a nice neat little box in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It is for this silly reason alone that I use Google.

20. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Outlook/Live... i've never been a fan of google having my info

21. gentlefury macrumors 68030

iCloud for everything, and my business email thru exchange. Gmail is forwarded to iCloud.

22. CEmajr macrumors 601

23. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Gmail for contacts and mail. Cal Alarm for the calendar. Syncs with what you choose. Much better layout than the IOS Calendar