What settings do you have ON in iCloud??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Burton8219, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Hey,

Don't know if this thread has been made before (sorry if it has), but I'm wondering what you guys have backing up/syncing with iCloud? At first I had it backing up my contacts/calendar, but now I'm just sticking with GMail Exchange syncing for my contacts and calendars. Feel it does a better job and doesn't kill my battery as much as iCloud syncing did. Now I just have Find My iPhone and Backup so I can have an up to the day backup in addition to the weekly hard copy I have backing up to iTunes. So what're you guys backing up to the cloud in Cupertino?

2. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

Bookmarks and Find My iPhone, anything else in my opinion, causes lag or drains the battery.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

"Weekly backup with iTunes"? You can't backup to both iTunes and iCloud. If you backup to iCloud, iTunes will only sync. If you backup with iTunes, the iCloud backup gets deleted.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No reminders? no bookmarks? no notes? photo stream? Docs?

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You can still backup manually with iTunes. I do it once a month or so, too.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Are you 100% positive? I'm surprised they wouldn't let you have multiple backups, as they've always allowed you to backup to multiple computers. And since backing up is a local operation, I'm surprised simply doing a backup to iTunes would contact Apple's server to delete the old backup.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It doesn't. I use both, just in case and it works fine. The iTunes backups just aren't automatic anymore, you have to do them manually.

9. Jmclark macrumors regular

Find My iPhone, Mail, and Contacts. Not much else is use to me since I'm stuck on Snow Leopard and since I use Chrome on my Mac.

10. AndyinAtl macrumors member

Everything. I'm starting to wonder if I own the only I-phone 4s with no battery issues. Granted this is my first smart phone ever but I talk an hour, game 30 min, send tons of texts, stream Pandora some, and check FB maybe a dozen or more times and it lasts all day. Hmmm....

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My battery is better than it was on my i4.

And I have two iCloud accounts.

12. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope... Wrong. I've been doing it this way for quite some time and I have backups visible on my iCloud account and on my hard drive on my computer.
    I find no need for any of the above accept maybe Photo Stream... I use Chrome as my main browser and don't really bookmark many pages as it is. Docs might come in handy, but I use Dropbox for most of those types of things.
    Thank you.
    Maybe I have a defective phone, but next time you put your phone on the charger take note of your usage and standby. My standby is incredible... it's when in use that the drain is most prevalent. I would be happy if I consistently got 5.5-6 hrs (I get like 4-4.5) and have no idea how people are getting 7-8+ hrs of usage other than using nothing but the music. But if it's working for you through a full day then that's all the battery you can really ask for, right?

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I leave iCloud off for everything except Find My iPhone. On one device out of three I also have it set to backup. I wish Apple gave more than 5 GB free space, especially with the larger devices, or I would backup the other devices as well. 5 GB doesn't do much good when I have one 64 GB device and two 16 GB devices.

14. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You're welcome!

And on the topic at hand, I use iCloud for everything except Photo Stream.

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

+1

16. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have everything on and love it. Wouldn't change anything.

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Contacts
    Calendars
    Reminders